Battery Report: Orange SPV E200

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Guest Toyota-F1.com

(Updated [3] -very interesing findings)

The whole report has to be read to be fully understood

Aim

To see whether certain applications/processes dramatically affect the use of battery power/affect battery life.

Apparatus

Orange SPV E200 (aka SPV3) HT352D, fully locked

Orange 8MB SD Card

Smartphone Battery Monitor Tool V1.04 (BlindLemon)

Beersoft Interactive Battery Monitor 1.0.2

Xetra Thermometer

SP Task Manager

Caller ID for Smartphone version 1.10

Method

At night just before I go to sleep, I will put my SPV3 to Flight Mode (so that text messages/calls do not interfere in the experiment).

I will then activate one of the experimental conditions, then activate the two battery monitors, as well as the thermometer. The reason I will also use the thermometer is because I used it on the first test so it wouldn't be fair if I didn't use it in any of the others!

Only the system applications will be running at the same time as the experiment.

The screen saver mode was on "None" (therefore, the screen did not turn off, the colours would still be visible with no backlight).

Results

With SD Card, with IA Caller ID application as standard i.e. activated, Bluetooth off.

The battery monitors showed the following:

The test ran for 8 hours and 10 minutes.

The battery went from 82%/83% to 69%. (Percentage decrease of 14%/15%)

The BlindLemon tool showed it made about 14100-14300 counts, and the average Current (mA) came up as 46.

The Beersoft Interactive Monitor showed the fast and slow times as 11 minutes and 1 hour respectively.

With no SD Card, with IA Caller ID application as standard i.e. activated, Bluetooth off.

The test ran, again, for 8 hours and 10 minutes.

The battery went from 93% to 78%. (Percentage decrease of 15%)

About 14150 counts were made, average Current (mA) was 45.

Fast and slow times were 2 and 50.

With no SD Card, without IA Caller ID Application (deleted IA_Caller_ID process using Task Manager), Bluetooth off

The test ran for 9 hours;

The battery went from 85% to 68% (Percentage decrease of 17%)

Average Current (mA) was 46.

Fast and slow times were 28 and 50 respectively.

(And, just in case you're interested, the maximum temperature was 34 degrees celsius at 00:09 and lowest temperature was 20 degs at 03:10.)

With no SD Card, with the Caller ID Application enabled, Bluetooth in 'on' position

The test ran for 9 hours;

The battery went from 93% to 64% (Percentage decrease of 29%)

Average Current (mA) was 54.

Fast and slow times were 12 and 50 respectively.

Conclusion

From the results above, I conclude that the SD Card does not significantly affect battery life.

I also conclude that the IA Style Caller ID for Smartphone does not significantly affect battery life.

The Bluetooth test figures are not representitive of how much power Bluetooth uses:

It can be said that Bluetooth does affect battery life, but by what degree cannot be confirmed. This is because, the Orange SPV3 must have a Bluetooth disconnect feature, which prior to testing I didn't know of, because when I woke up, Bluetooth was switched off! I know I switched it on at night, definitely.

I am intending to do a couple more tests, one to see how much power is taken up by not being in flight mode.

These test results represent my handset, so if you repeat the test and get different figures, it may be because of other factors such as other applications you may be running/have installed/the SD Card you are using (?). I have brought my results to you as my handset test results, the data may be used by others as a guide.

On this page: http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=98883&start=75 I have posted how I think my phone is different to many others that have been described on this forum. I don't know why mine is different.

I would suggest, that perhaps something else is making the battery life fairly short. My previous phone, the Panasonic GD87e, had an option to turn the keypad lights off, because, I had heard, that it "really sucks the battery life".

-------

With Panasonic 64MB SD Card, with the Caller ID Application totally disabled (since the last tests, the application has been totally disabled- removed from Startup menu), Bluetooth in 'off' position

The test ran for 8 hours 22 minutes;

The battery went from 62% to 31% (Percentage decrease of 31%)

Average Current (mA) was 65.

Fast and slow times were 14 and 50 respectively.

These results indicate that a 64MB SD Card consumes more battery power than a 8MB SD Card. It may be true to say that the larger the SD Card, the more battery power is consumed. I cannot test this, as I don’t have any larger/smaller SD Cards to compare the data with.

----------------

With Panasonic 64MB SD Card, with the Caller ID Application totally disabled (since the last tests, the application has been totally disabled- removed from Startup menu), Bluetooth in 'off' position

The test ran for 9 hours 10 minutes;

The battery went from 82% to 66% (Percentage decrease of 16%)

Average Current (mA) was 46.

Fast and slow times were 9 and 50 respectively.

And just in case you’re interested, min temp was 19c at 0609 hours, and max was 29c at 2325 hours!

Right, now this is exactly the same test as what I did yesterday, and the results show that the Panasonic 64MB SD Card does not consume extra power, contrary to the test yesterday. The only thing I did yesterday was that I switched the phone off first, restart, and then do experiment. Even today though, before I do the experiment, I always shut down all running applications using SP Task Manager. I have also been doing mini tests, and these show that sometimes the SD Card uses a lot of battery power, and sometimes it doesn’t.

It isn’t intermittent either, because the results are both fairly different, and today’s result is very similar to an experiment done earlier (above).

There is something that changes this, and I need your help to find out what. I think we need to do some sort of tests. I’ve done mini tests (like 5 minute ones) by taking out the card, putting it in then doing the test, then I’ve tried using the card and repeating the test, I’ve had different results, but I haven’t recorded them, because they are just mini tests.

Guest Captain Vallo

very interesting, its good to take a more scientific approach to this battery affair. I remember doing some similar type stuff on my toshiba PDA.

However, what I can say is that using that nice little application written for us to switch off the SD card, i have noticed significant performance improvements of the battery.

As soon as is convenient, I will try a similar approach, perhaps we can all agree a 'standard' configuration by which we can test.

Guest Mr_Protozoa

how interesting.....

and unexpected.

I wonder if SD/MMC will produce differernt result?

I'm running the 'SD off app' and i've noticed a significant improvement in battery life too.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Terry Gibson

Hmmmm. I have some questions - scientific yes, but - the phone is not being used?

I've taken my SD card out, and also the blank, do not have call ID on, and I'm getting 3 days (using the phone), whereas, with the SD card installed I was getting no more than a day between recharges

Guest tommy7683

Very interesting results

Definitely worth a Sticky :)

(with more findings)

P.S. : some people report a difference if you disable auto discovery of incoming beams, is it true

P.S.2 : waiting for my phone...

Guest Roland

FWIW I'm into a day and a half on the update, doing OTA syncs every 10 minutes, 256M SanDisk SD & Bluetooth enabled & ~35 minutes talk - power shows at ~50%. Before the update I'd be dead in 8 hours of the same usage.

Guest Toyota-F1.com
some people report a difference if you disable auto discovery of incoming beams, is it true

What do you mean - Bluetooth on Discoverable, or the "Receive Incoming Beam" switched on?

If somebody did a test or two with the new ROM, that may be interesting, I haven't updated yet.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jerome33

So weird. with or without SD card is much different for my smartphone's battery.

Normally, my smrtphone's battery can last about 3 days without SD card, but it can not last more than one day when I put the SD card into my smartphone.

I have another theory....

I reckon ( although I have no figures to back this up - just observation!) that how you charge the handset affects the battery life as well.

I have left the phone switched on whilst charging (with no programs in memory) and found it doesnt last as long as when I charge when the phone is switched off - ie - I get better battery life if i charge the phone when it is switched off. Anyone else found this.?

• 2 months later...
Guest beersoft

not being one to show off or anything....

since i did my hard reset with the full battery thingy

without the sdcard in and the bluetooth off i get a fast time of 2 (which is standard) and a slow time of 1:28 which is 30 mins short of the record from my mpx200

later

Owen

Guest beersoft

the fast time is a mesurement of how quickly the battery goes down, and the slow time is the longest 1% has lasted, big numbers for both is good

later

Owen

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Are you going to do the battery test with your own application? :wink:

Those figures are the ones I mainly concentrated on (the mA current).

Guest beersoft

of course i am :P

version 1.1.x or better logins things to file to so i can make purdy graphs :D

after breaking the habit of charging my phone overnight, yesterday/todays results are

after 24 hours the phone got to 5% with 4 hours of mp3's, 45 mins of calls and a fair bit of eclipse as well :lol:

its all good news :D

Later

Owen

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Well make sure you do it exactly the same so that there are no differences, and it'll be interesting to see the results! I didn't use the log file, I wouldn't if I were you because that might produce a difference in figures :?

Guest Marko31

What about this kind of test does anyone have done it already :

- Full Charge of the device.

- 256 Sd card on the device full with mp3 encoded at min 128 kpbs.

- Run Wmp/or betaplayer screen turned off if possible (i think it s possible.. ?) with these mp3 on continuous play.

- And see when the device stop playing

How many hours do you think the e200 last ? 10 hours is possible ?

• 1 month later...