Mio 8380 - what a POS!

Guest alanw

I bought one of these a couple weeks ago after reading all the threads here and on HoFo. From what I could gather, it was the only SmartPhone powered handset with a camera and clamshell design, and while it had a few problems they seemed to be taken care of with the latest firmware.

So, I ordered this thing from the US, and it took forever to get here, and cost a fortune to get through customs (in total with shipping and duties it came to about $650US). I carefully went through the file-at-a-time ROM updates to the latest version, 57. All the upgrades went fine, with no hangs or errors. There are no other software installed, nothing in the startup group, no skins, no themes, no changed settings.

Now the phone spontaneously reboots maybe...25 times a day. Maybe it's just sitting in the cradle doing nothing, maybe I'm in the middle of composing an SMS, and all of a sudden - black screen and the startup logo again.

It reports that there is no storage left on the SD card when using the camera maybe 50% of the time.

You can't add words to the T9 dictionary.

MMS I can't even figure out how to configure.

Other people have reported glitches here and there but frankly this thing is completely unusable as a basic telephone, much less a PDA.

Does anyone else really have better luck with theirs? Do the hacked-up, unofficial firmwares floating around perform better, or are they the same? Or did I just buy a very expensive paperweight?

-alan in barcelona

Guest longj49

after upgrading the software people usually forget to reset the phone. have you tried it? it's just pressing the voice record button and power button simultaneously (with power off first), until you see the keyboard flash twice.

when i first got the phone my software version was 39, and there was no end to the problems - constant hanging, dropped calls, poor rf, etc. i tried all the official updates but got nowhere because of region incompatibility. in desperation (and short of actually throwing the phone away), i decided to go for the unofficial extended rom, and it turned out wonderfully. my version was upgraded straight from v39 to v55. after a week of using (24/7), no issues came up whatsoever and now i am very happy with my 8380!

Guest deltona

I was upgrade the software on my mitac yesterday from v.42 to v.47 to v.53 and finally to v.55 ( It took about two hours) and i noticed some problems with this versio. If I have a missed call when i try see who is being calling from call history the phone is showing the installation sceen of cstar app. Also I notice a problem with battery icon.

alanw

Where did you find v.57

Sorry, typo - I meant 55.

I d/l'ed the unofficial update and finished it about 2 hours ago. So far no reboots. After the reset, there was a new startup screen, and the phone prompted that it was going to restart and switch to Spanish (the SIM language) which it never did before.

It is evident that the "unofficial" update is either more extensive or more complete than the Mitac ones. Sort of like updating the kernel vs. just some apps.

Now to try to configure GPRS and MMS for Vodafone ES.

Fingers crossed...

Is there any way to switch out the T9 so you can add words to it?

Guest deltona

Does anyone know if I can downgrade to v.42 (which I had before and worked fine) with the same way I do the upgrade (copy the three files on Ispmwindowsstart menu)

or

it's better to do the unofficial update.

Let me know if you have any problem after unofficial update.

Well, no reboots yet, though the thing got so slow while reading an SMS that I thought it was completely locked up. I took out the battery and all seems to be well so far.

The camera reports that there is no storage space on either the SD card or internal memory.

Guest alanw

Interesting data point:

R4 (hacked) ROM. SIM from vodafone. Constant reboots and lockups.

SIM from Amena. Zero reboots or other problems for nearly 48 hours.

Back to the vodafone SIM. Reboots within 3 minutes.

Back to the Amena SIM. 24 hours later, zero problems.

Now, I wonder what the problem is with the vodafone SIM?