Would you stay with Orange/HTC mobiles?

Guest drblow

Guest drblow

Would you stay with Orange/HTC mobiles if there was an equivalent SP2003 device available from another manufacturer? Which obviously there will be soon.

I'd also like to hear from SPV/e100 owners though. I have an e200 (so I can't change to another model without going back to SP2002) but owners of all kinds of SPV's are still having problems. Or are you? :shock:

I'm just interested to know the results, coz I know that personally I have had enough of problem SPV's. I love the smartphone platform, & I think that the SPV is a good concept, but I am tired after over a year of constant problems with no solution & waiting too long for updates.

I love my smartphone - it has become an obsession over the last year or so, and I love the modaco community & the good spirit that seems to be here. The potential of the MS operating system & the handheld smartphone is amazing, but by this stage, my enthusiasm is being increasingly weakened by the constant battles with the problems inherent in the SPV's. I really want to get a clear idea of how everybody else feels, coz I guess at this point, I'm crying out for either like minds, or someone who can offer a good enough reason to stick with these phones.

Obviously I am also hoping that opinions here may be seen by people at Orange who are capable of making any difference to this situation (if there are any). In my opinion, it's only the fear of losing business/money that would change anything.

What would you do?

Guest midnight

errr, dont forget, Orange is just the carrier, so the Moto's will be available from Orange anyways. HTC will no doubt be working on new devices to compete with the new moto's lets just hope they come up with something good :)

We gotta remember that Moto's have announced some kick ass devices cos of the groundwork HTC/Orange/MS did. This doesnt mean i am defending HTC, i still think the e100 was a simple design change, and the E200 is a missed oportunity (and too many silly bugs), but, right now, the E200 is technically one of the most advanced mobile phones on the market today. The E100 however, with the last update, is totally stable, has decent battery life (mine lasts as long as any mpx200), and i really dont see much difference between it and the mpx200 (and the e100 was released 6 months earlier than the mpx200).

The main fault with Orange has nothing to do with the SPV, but at their customer services, some of the recent replies i've heard from Customer Services about problems MoDaCo members have had is scary to say the least.

Guest rogerbates

There is no way that I am going to get another HTC phone, I have the original SPV and although it is working pretty well (if you dont mind it forgetting T9 words, GPRS sticking etc etc) it has taken over a year after it was released to get here.

After hearing about the problems with the E100 and E200 on here too, which seemed remarkably similar to the original, I have decided to never get another HTC phone. They had a chance to corner the market, and they blew it.

My next phone will be a Motorola. :)

Guest drblow
errr, dont forget, Orange is just the carrier, so the Moto's will be available from Orange anyways. HTC will no doubt be working on new devices to compete with the new moto's lets just hope they come up with something good :)

We gotta remember that Moto's have announced some kick ass devices cos of the groundwork HTC/Orange/MS did. This doesnt mean i am defending HTC, i still think the e100 was a simple design change, and the E200 is a missed oportunity (and too many silly bugs), but, right now, the E200 is technically one of the most advanced mobile phones on the market today. The E100 however, with the last update, is totally stable, has decent battery life (mine lasts as long as any mpx200),  and i really dont see much difference between it and the mpx200 (and the e100 was released 6 months earlier than the mpx200).

The main fault with Orange has nothing to do with the SPV, but at their customer services, some of the recent replies i've heard from Customer Services about problems MoDaCo members have had is scary to say the least.

No, Orange is not just the carrier in the case of the SPV. As I said before, the SPV is marketed & branded as an 'Orange' phone. I bought it from an Orange shop. I don't have a problem with Orange as a carrier - the network works ok. It's as the 'brand' of the phone. HTC is the manufacturer, but it is sold as an Orange phone.

& it's exactly the point that the new moto's will be available on Orange. If there was one available now with SP2003 I'd swap immediately. But what I'm getting at is how many people would swap their phone model, not provider. Surely Orange would care if they saw that 100% of smartphone users would/will change to a motorola device as soon as one becomes available - which is hopefully tomorrow!! :D

I agree that moto do seem to be coming out with some stuff that sounds good - through the groundwork of HTC & Orange ... and lets not forget the several thousand beta tester who have slogged their guts out for the last year-ish trying to make the thing work properly!! :evil: (thats US by the way!! :D ).

I also agree that the e200 is the most advanced mobile phone device on the market - thats why I can't get a satisfactory different model replacement! :evil: But I think the main reason for it being so good, is the SP2003 operating system, which clearly will be available on other devices from other manufacturers. The actual hardware of the phone (speaker, battery, bluetooth) is all sub-standard, and certainly not the most advanced on the market. The e200 can be talked up good on paper, but the device itself let's it all down.

Finally, I have to say that I disagree about Orange CS! On the whole I find the telephone staff to be helpful & friendly, and not too daft when it comes to techie stuff. Obv you get the odd monkey, but if they sound like a monkey I just ask for a super straight away!! :D

From a customer service point of view I am fine with Orange, in fact I think they're good. I have an inherently faulty phone ... but they have sent me 5 replacements! The CS team would give me a different model replacement if I want it. What more could I ask for, eh??

Well, obvioulsy, I could ask for a replacement that is EQUIVALENT, but there isn't one. " OK then, can I ask you to fix my phone? No sir, we have no ETA for that!" :twisted: But it's not the fault of the actual CS dept. I'm just frustrated at having dealt with faulty, bug ridden SPV's, and waiting forever for updates from Orange.

I can't stress enough for the purpose of this thread that I am not having a go at Orange as a network provider, or from a customer service point of view either - purely as the branded retailer behind the e200/e100/SPV devices, and their support/lack of for the said devices! :shock:

Guest morpheus2702

Blow - you've hit the nail on the head, and this is something that I have been thinking about for the past couple of weeks. You should add a pole to this to quantify people's opinions!

In this time, I have had the chance to play with a lot of different handsets from different manufacturers, running different OS's. The big thing that hit home was just how slick & smooth every other phone seems to be - or by the same token, just how clunky the operation of my E100 is. Sure, they can't do half as much as the E100 but hell, you don't make a cup of tea whilst waiting for an application to open.

I was grateful for the 1.6 update and yes, it did cure a lot of the problems SP2002 had. But there is still an undue amount of egg timer on screen, the phone freezes on occasion when composing an SMS, it grates that there is no FF or RW on Windows Media Player...

My contract is up in May and I'm giving a lot of consideration as to what my next purchase will be. Given the way that the MPx200 has been received I and the joke that is the E200 don't think there will be any way in hell that it will be an HTC model!

I'm struck by the abject silence of Mr Orange in the past months, not only on the E200 debacle but also what is happening at HTC? Yes, I know that Mr Orange doesn't work for HTC, but by his own admission he is in regular contact with them.

Motorola might owe HTC for the groundwork of the Smartphone, but it is still highly debated how much credit Sendo is due (and by looking at the X's Today page, quite a bit!).

In the final analysis, come May I shall see what phones are out there with Outlook integration, decent media playback, camera, a T9 memory that remembers and take SD cards. Whether that is from HTC, Orange or even a Windows Mobile, who knows?

Guest Gorskar

My contract was up last month, but I'm waiting for the new motorolas (or something else as good, the sendo one doesnt took too bad) before upgrading.

The e200 aint the phone for me...

rubbishy 4way joystick, Slow processor, not exactly the most beautiful phone on the market.

Guest drblow

I would guess that the complete silence from Mr. Orange means that he will never actually reply to any of these threads relating to the problems with the SPV.

Can any of the mods actually confirm whether or not Mr. Orange is still an active member of this forum? Is it actually worth waiting for a response from him in an official capacity, or has he just abandoned the forum altogether?

I wonder has Orange policy, in the face of all the complaints about the e200, abandoned the idea of supporting the SPV through this forum?

Another good move by Orange in destroying what little good customer perception they had.

Guest midnight

the thing is, Orange has never officially supported MoDaCo, MrOranges input is just the info he can give (without breaching Oranges trust) and he gives it in his spare time.

Guest Simon Desser
the thing is, Orange has never officially supported MoDaCo, MrOranges input is just the info he can give (without breaching Oranges trust) and he gives it in his spare time.
Oh! I misunderstood what Paul said :oops:

I am very pleased to announce that we have a new forum member, 'Mr Orange'.  

Mr Orange (aka Andy), is head of handset development for the Orange Group, and as such is responsible overall for the development of SPV (amongst other things).  

Andy has joined the forum in an official capacity, and will be available to answer any questions related to SPV from an Orange perspective, and any other Orange GROUP related questions.  

Please be aware that Andy is not part of Orange UK, and so cannot answer questions directly related to UK operations.  

So please welcome Mr Orange, and go easy on him  

I think this is a huge step for MoDaCo today, and I personally am very pleased to have Mr Orange on board, you should be too!  

P

:?: :?: :?:

Guest drblow

I'm sorry - but thats rubbish. I can't find the original post on a search, but when Mr, Oarnge joined the froum, it was STRESSED to the users that he WAS here in an OFFICIAL capacity. The majority of his previous posts have been "official" statements from Orange, not just his personal opinions. In fact, when Mr. Orange joined the forum, his arrival was hailed by the moderators as a new era in official contact between modaco & orange. Am I wrong?? :shock:

Seems like whenever the s**t hits the fan, Mr. O disappears, & the forum moderators are quick to deny any "official" capacity.

EDIT - yes Simon!! That's the original post I was looking for!! :)

Nice big bold letters, and whats that word?? ... "official" ... :?

This is a joke. :x

Guest midnight

ermmm........

Please be aware that Andy is not part of Orange UK

anyways, i'm steering well clear of this thread, seems like its all flame bait to me

Guest statscat

I guess people are just getting frustrated.

And frustrations will "manifest" themselves.

Some of the points raised in the thread are valid though, and I guess HTC have got a bit more to learn with regards to the phone market, but I also agree that moto are able to learn from teh mistakes that HTC make.

Guest drblow
Andy has joined the forum in an official capacity

ERRMMM ... nobody questioned his involvement with Orange UK. You STATED that he was not here in an official capacity, which is clearly not true. I don't see how your mentioning that he is not Orange UK has anything to do with it? Or makes any difference?

And this thread is not just flaming Orange for the sake of it. These are genuine concerns from people who have had SPV's for quite some time. & I don't think that trying to trivialise the issue by calling it "flame bait" is either fair, or appropriate. This is a discussion forum & if some of the subjects relating to problems with phone providers are slightly uncomfortable for moderators to read, that doesnt automatically mean that there is no merit in the subject matter, or that they should simply be dismissed as rabble rousing.

If there were not so many problems with Orange & the lack of support for their phones, then these threadfs would cease to exist - wouldn't they?

Whoa, calm down!

On the topic subject:

HTC produce an incredible product line, of new and innovative devices at a good price.

BUT

Their smartphones lack the release level quality we DEMAND as consumers.

The XDA and XDA2 are a completely different ballgame, with their quality being superb!

My next phone (i have an xda, e200 and e100) will be the most feature rich and best looking phone.

We should add a poll to this.

And on the MrOrange subject:

Ok I'll 'try' to clear a few bits up - (Will pulls on his flame proof suit).

MrOrange joined Modaco, in order to be able to give Official information from Orange to MoDaCo users.

He also gives responses to specific handset questions etc.

He is able to give Official responses, ie what he says should be the correct company line from Orange.

Although many orange employees visit this forum on a regular basis, some giving superb info, nothing they say can

be considered official information from Orange, unless typed by MrOrange.

Modaco is not (to the best of MY knowledge anyhow) an official support forum for these devices for Orange

(if i recall correctly OCS operators are prohibited from mentioning it's existance to callers)

But when MrOrange announced the update to the e100, everyone was happy, knowing it was not a 'false rumour'*

*ok the backup tool fiasco occured, but that is an issue for MrOrange!

I for one am glad to see a post from MrOrange as I am assured that it is as official as an announcement on the orange website.

If he does not post, for any reason, I guess there is no official information about that topic.

Flame me if you want, the above is MY personal understanding of how MrOrange functions within the site.

Please keep this thread on topic :'Would you stay with Orange/HTC mobiles?'.

Guest drblow

OK, OK - I'm calm!! :D

Fair enough - it was not my intention to start more ranting about Mr. O - we should start another thread for that!! :) But it is difficult to refrain from replying to inflammatory, factually incorrect comments.

I agree we should add a poll - em ... how do you do that?? :shock:

Back on topic, I understand that the XDA is quite a good device, but for this topic I wanted to get opinions purely on SPV's. Should've been more specific in the title maybe. Again, I'm not just trying to pointlessly get at Orange/HTC as a whole - just the SPV range & the inherent problems with them.

Anyway Will, I thought you used your mpx most often??

nope no mpx here, although for a long time i considered it.. but i need bt and 2k3.. so i'm in the same 'stuck with e200' scenario!

Will

Guest drblow

Oh! :oops:

Sorry, I thought I'd seen posts from you about using an mpx.

You didn't actually say whether your next device would be Orange/HTC. Does that mean you ARE prepared to get one if it has good features & looks good?

yep, i have NO brand specific ties, but i feel i know how to fix htc devices (and bust'em too) so i would probably keep going, but then again if nokia bring out a phone that suits me better than a smartphone, i'd take that too!

Will

Guest statscat

I have to admit I am not much of a "brand" person in most senses.

I think the big thing with HTC phones has that they have been the first, they were the first with 2002 and then the first with 2003 and I think like with most firsts there are teething problems.

There are definite issues with:

The bluetooth stack.

The call quality.

The MMS client (sound support etc).

That said it offers the user lots of benefits, I think the big problem it assigning issues to the appropriate owner.

Some belong to Orange and the third parties they use(config wizards etc)

Some belong to HTC and

Some belong to MS

thats three bureaucracies for any fixes to make its way through and I have no doubt that O France has different priorities to O Denmark etc.

I think Orange and HTC were both under pressure to get a 2003 device out in 2003 as there is not a planned update to the OS in 2004, and I guess pressure leads to mistakes, after all the people involved in this process are people.

Guest statscat

Yeah I guess they do.

but they come to market after the first RUU's to the HTC devices so they have gained from the MS fixes etc and I guess that they also benefit from user feedback on the applications (config wizard etc).

Moto also have more experience building phones which I guess is an advantage for them, and perhaps as such have better / more QA testing.

I think in the case of the SPV and the E200 they have suffered from being the first devices with the OS and so have fallen prey to first release issues.