Update: BlindLemon Font Installer : Enable Fonts

Guest MrMagoo

Guest MrMagoo

People doubted it could be done...Oh how silly they must feel...

Version 1.02 Released 11 March 2003:

NEW: now installs shortcut to startup folder instead of registry - most people seem to find this works better.

NEW: Automatically closes after 4 secs if no user input occurs ( better for boot time - the utility will now close instead of staying open )

NEW: Processes xml files in Fonts folder - this means skin designers can include an xml file in their releases which changes the system font - OR end users can use this method for updating the system font registry.

NEW: Now lists installed fonts on screen (typeface names - helpful for making sure you get the right name in the registry)

To upgrade just install this CAB - it will automatically uninstall any previous version.

Description

This utility installs a shortcut into the startup folder and enables most TTF fonts (which you place in the Fonts folder) for use in homescreens / system fonts etc...

(E200 = Storagewindowsfonts

SPV = IPSMWindowsFonts)

see screen shot for example...

Instructions

if you want to use a new font in a homescreen you will need to :

1. install this utility

2. copy the font file (e.g. xxx.ttf ) to Fonts folder

3. edit your homescreen - changing references to font nina to your new font name

4. run this utility

5. change to some other homescreen and back again

if you want to use a new system font you will need to :

1. install this utility

2. copy the font file (e.g. xxx.ttf ) to Fonts folder

3. edit the supplied SystemFontSettings.xml file (installed in Program FilesBlindLemon folder by default) changing references to "Century Gothic" to whatever your font is called THEN copy the file into your Fonts folder. ( OR edit the registry HKLMSystemGDISYSFNT change the value "nm" from nina to your new font typeface name )

4. run this utility and select "Install XML" from the menu.

5. reboot

Notes

Some people have struggled with editing the sysfnt key in the registry - you might be able to do it with activesync and rapiconfig.exe - i have attached a copy of rapiconfig and a sample xml config file, but version 1.02 of this utility should work for you.

How to use RapiConfig:

1. Extract the .rar file into c:rapi

2. Open a dos prompt in c:rapi

3. edit the supplied xml for your chosen typeface name

4. type: RapiConfig.exe /p registry.xml

you should get an output file which matches your input xml if it has worked.

History

Version 1.01 Released:

new: now can self-install to bootup registry (I hope) version 1.01

Version 1.00 Released:

new: now works with smartphone 2002 and 2003 !

BLAddFont.CAB

fonts2.PNG

RapiConfig.rar

BLAddFont.CAB

BLAddFont.CAB

Is it certain that it won't work on a 2002 device? (i.e. i600). I've been waiting for this for a long time. I'm tempted to try it out.

Guest drblow

:shock:

OMG Mr. Magoo - you total genius!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :( :D :D :D

This is absolutely the best tweak that has ever been released for the e200!! Well, apart form my great customised icons!! :)

Congratulations fella - excellent bit of work, & it works good!

Thanks!! :D

Guest badboy4life
if you want to use a new system font you will need to :

1. install this utility

2. copy the font file (e.g. xxx.ttf ) to Storagewindowsfonts

3. edit the registry HKLMSystemGDISYSFNT change the value "nm" from nina to your new font name

4. reboot

When i try to change this reg value i get an error saying 'unable to perform operation' - i think that this reg entry is locked and can only be changed using a cab install.

My phone is totally application unlocked - any ideas?

Guest drblow

I just had the same problem!! My phone is also fully unlocked, but regedit says it's unable to perform the operation.

Help!! I NEED to change the font on the system!! :cry:

Guest badboy4life

As i mentioned i think the only way is to create a cab and have that change the entry, as well as maybe placing the font into the fonts folder. I however have no idea how to create and package a cab!! I can't see any other way around it unless you create some sort of application that you can enter the font name and this then changes the value.

Guest drblow

I seem to be having difficulty using any other fonts except the one I first installed (all TTF). I installed one font at first, and the tweak worked nice. But I then copied in several other font files, & went through the same process, but none of the others will show.

Is there a reason for this?? Could it just be some fonts? All the fonts are installed & running on my PC, so I think the actual TTF files themselves are OK.

Guest Crispy

Hmmm ... I have a different problem ... I install the program, install my font in the corret folder and manage to edit the string via a cab install ... I reboot and nothing happen :?

If any of you who aren't able to edit the string, try installing this cab - if appears be able to edit teh string, even on my app-locked phone. It installs the font "Pokemon Solid":

Pokemonsolid.cab

Guest Crispy
Hm perhaps you should rename Pokemon Solid.tff like this: pokemonsolid.tff, perhaps it does not recognize spaces...

Doesn't seem to work either :)

Guest MrMagoo
Hmmm ... I have a different problem ... I install the program, install my font in the corret folder and manage to edit the string via a cab install ... I reboot and nothing happen  :?  

If any of you who aren't able to edit the string, try installing this cab - if appears be able to edit teh string, even on my app-locked phone. It installs the font "Pokemon Solid":

You need to change the cab to set the SYSFNT "nm" value to the name of the typeface , NOT the file name i.e. "Pokemon Solid" NOT "pokemonsolid"

Guest MrMagoo
I seem to be having difficulty using any other fonts except the one I first installed (all TTF).  I installed one font at first, and the http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>tweak worked nice.  But I then copied in several other font files, & went through the same process, but none of the others will show.

Is there a reason for this??  Could it just be some fonts?  All the fonts are installed & running on my PC, so I think the actual TTF files themselves are OK.

what fonts are you trying - i will test them here...

Guest drblow

em ... sorry for being a dumb ass, but is the cab file in the first post the updated one? & what do we do with the rapiconfig? Where do we install it?

Man, I want to use this, but I've got an i600 and I'm getting the 'inadequate system privileges' message. I've already run the HKCR Reg fix on my phone, which was supposed to take care of those issues. In fact, I just ran it again to make sure. However, I'm still getting the error when I try to install this CAB.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guest gpcarreon (MVP)

I tried it and it worked...as seen in these screengrabs.

I used comic.ttf (comicsans) then SmartExplorer and TaskManager showed comicsans but the homescreen menus and fonts are still the same.

Im using Smartphone2002, Orange 1.6 ROM

samplereplacefont.gif