Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

If you ever used an old B/W Palm device, you may remember one of the original vector-based mapping programs for the OS was Mapopolis. The program has grown quite a bit over the years, adding color, then PocketPC support....then GPS integration.

Mapopolis is now available as a beta for Microsoft Smartphones, and man (and lady!) does it look nice. It has many many features including zoomable levels, driving directions, searching and most importantly...GPS CAPABILITIES. Now all we need are drivers to use with Bluetooth GPS devices! Also, when connected to a GPS device, the program also issues spoken and visual prompts before each turn.

I highly recommend you take a look. Download the beta for free along with (very rich) demo maps! More info at www.mapopolis.com or download the cab file directly from here.

maps.jpg

Guest Skilty

I can't get the demo to work!

It's saying that the program won't install becuase it is not signed with a trusted certificate.

I've got an de-cert E200 anyone got any ideas?

Guest Disco Stu

Are you sure your E200 is application unlocked, because I've just installed it on mine and it's working fine.

Your phone may have locked itself again - it does happen :)

Is everything esle working ?

Guest Skilty

Yeah - it's definately unlocked - i've just tried Smartnes, Pocket TV, pocket MPV all working fine.

I've tried putting the cab file onto my phone and installing it with Smart Explorer but same error-install message! - i've also tried loading it straight from the start menu, but same thing

Guest Disco Stu
Yeah - it's definately unlocked - i've just tried Smartnes, Pocket TV, pocket MPV all working fine.

I've tried putting the cab file onto my phone and installing it with http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=55367>Smart Explorer but same error-install message! - i've also tried loading it straight from the start menu, but same thing

Just to run through the basics :

Check the folder Storage / Windows / AppMgr / Install and delete anything in there. Failed installation files are dumped there and prevent you installing anything esle until it's cleared out.

Where did you try to install it - phone or card ?

Is there sufficient memory space ? Always go for the card to avoid filling up the phone.

Switch phone on / off

Download CAB again and see what happens...

Got to be something simple

Guest sahli

I have it installed and running on a MPX200. Great app. If I only had bluetooth on my phone :-(. But the SW is great even without the GPS

On another note: I know that non of the current ROM versions of bluetooth enabled smartphone such as the SPV200 or Qtek 8080 will be able to connect the bluetooth GPS Mouse as the current implementation does not support serial com port config. So I guess nobody was able to test it with GPS or..... wait perhaps those BETA testers of the new SPV200 ROM upgrade which supposes to fix that problem

regards

Guest Maverick
On another note: I know that non of the current ROM versions of bluetooth enabled smartphone such as the SPV200 or Qtek 8080 will be able to connect the bluetooth GPS Mouse as the current implementation does not support serial com port config. So I guess nobody was able to test it with GPS or..... wait perhaps those BETA testers of the new SPV200 ROM upgrade which supposes to fix that problem

regards

Well.. Its supposed to have been enabled in the Beta update from Orange. To quote Paul, who has the update... So there is hope yet ! :) .. We have to wait until Paul can test it for us..

The Bluetooth serial port support is indeed excellent, and I can confirm that I have successfully hooked my E200 up to my Bluetooth GPS!

Guest Richie M
We have to wait until Paul can test it for us..

Pauls on hols Boarding atm so could be a good excuse for him to test this to the extreme!

WOW just what I've been waiting for Mapopolis for the Smartphone. Just finished installing on my SPV then mediately plugged in my Radio-Shack DidiTraveler GPS, selected Start GPS and to my surprise it worked! 8)

Guest squall

off to install this, however dont have gps, i assume you can use the cell location either.

what kind of price do the gps handsets you guys are using cost?

Guest Skilty

Disco Stu -

Thanks for your help mate, i've got it working now after several re-boots, re-installs, still don't know what the problems was but thanks for your help anyway.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Brilliant, what more can I say. Its what us SmartPhoners have been waiting for, cant wait for the real version :)

If Qman is reading, could you explain how you managed to get a GPS to work, bet everyone is dying to find out :lol: :lol:

Guest Gorskar

Now this IS a killer app!

Ive downloaded the beta and a demo map pack for my area which I'll play around with.

To get the full map pack for Europe costs $35.95, or $124.95 for the GPS, voice prompt support versions. (which works out to £69.06 at current conversion rates)

Its quite a bit of money, but when compared to the iPaQ solutions seems ok.

Of course we'd need a bluetooth compatible GPS device, and suitable drivers...

Even so, I can see great potential in this app!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.