Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest gpspassion

Yes - you need the latest ROM that has BT Serial emulation under Accessories/Advanced - should be out any day now from what I understand!

It also works with an XDA GPS cable mind you if you can't wait -

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Just to let everyone know, I have modified my ORA Safe-to-Talk car kit with the specs from QMan and it works :) :lol: I have used one of the old 9 pin serial leads from the inside of an old machine. This feeds into the phone plug and chopped the end of an old PS2 mouse extension lead which takes power from the main board inside the speaker unit.

I am running with a Haicom 201S GPS which comes with a serial plug and a PS2 keyboard/mouse pass through for power (and to think I nearly sold it for a USB version).

Now I have my phone in the cradle, the car profile is set to auto answer, the phone charges whilst in the cradle and now I have satellite navigation as well!! all with only one device in the cigar lighter socket in my car :lol:

The software itself is brilliant, so much detail for 'free' maps (cant wait to see what the full product will be like) I think that Mapopolis have done a truly first rate job with this.

Very impressed with this, The fact that the maps are phone based is a absolute must with the currently extortionate g.p.r.s charges. I will definatley be purchasing both this software and a GPS unit when my wage packet lands at the end of the month!

I've got the beta and my local maps but I was wondering if there are any, plugins or 'overlays' available, or that could be written, to highlight fixed speed camera's? And for the software to enable a spoken warning if your going to fast..

Come on Orange where's the U.K. ROM??

Guest gpspassion
I've got the beta and my local maps but I was wondering if there are any, http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=714>plugins or 'overlays' available, or that could be written, to highlight fixed speed camera's? And for the software to enable a spoken warning if your going to fast..  

Yes, I just built an maplet with all the Paris area metro stations and put it in the "maplet sharing" thread here:

Any list of POIs can be imported with a little bit of work and we're trying to get Mapopolis moving on creating a simple "POI alert" feature:

Guest Skitals

Okay, the XDA cable and gps work on which smartphone? the original spv? If we had the spv pinout, and the smasung i600 pinout, couldnt we rig up a cable to connect the gps to an i600? If anyone has the pinout for both, and details on the pinouts for the cable, i will give it a shot.

Im just confused... the gps doesnt need any drivers or anything? You just plug it in and it works?

And I know all the smartphones have different connectors on the bottom, but do they each have the same pins, but configured differently?

Thanks.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I used the pinout from http://www.yorch.net/ this is for the XDA but this works fine on my E100 and I cant think that anyone would have any problems with the original SPV.

Cant find pinouts for the I600 either but once you do find one it should work fine. The phone does not need any drivers to make it work it just looks for data on COM1.

Good luck finding a pinout as this is a very good program and I will be one of the first to go out and buy it when it is releaseed (after I save up and get a bigger card to hold all the map data :) )

Guest Pc-Mobile

You can use almost all kind of GPS.(Garmin/Magellan/Digitraveler/DelormeUSB) with the right cables.

GPS cables for XDA should work for the SPV range.

So for example a mouse with these features :

Interface

PS/II to PDA plug

Output

NMEA0183 V2.2 protocol,and supports command:GGA,GSA,GSV,RMC,VTG,GLL

SiRF binary raw data output

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Something like this will be fine...

http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod449.html

As for the ready made serial lead, I don't think they will work. The ones shown will allow you to plug your SPV into your PC via the serial port. Therefore it must come with a 9pin female plug and on the diagrams I followed I used the 'Cable to plug into modem or GPS' from http://xda-developers.com/connectors/

This is the important bit (The only ones we need are TXD, RXD and Ground)

Cable to plug into modem or GPS

This cable will connect to devices which come with a cable to plug into a PC serial port, such as a modem. If you are connecting to a device that only uses RX, TX and GND (such as many GPS receivers), you may only need the wires which connect to pins 2, 3 and 5 on the 9-pin serial connector. And you can, optionally, hook up a charging interface in the same way as described above.

XDA              9-pin connector

(female)

2,5,16,17,18 - 5 (gnd)

6 (dcd) - 1 (dcd)

7 (cts) - 8 (cts)

8 (txd) - 3 (txd)

9 (rts) - 7 (rts)

10 (rxd) - 2 (rxd)

11 (dtr) - 4 (dtr)

As the serial GPS's also come with a 9pin female plug as well you are going to have to get a Null Modem cable as well and a gender changer to make it all work, or chop the end of the cable and reverse pins 2 and 3 then refit with a 9pin male connector.

Anyway back to the pictures, sorry they are not to good and I could not get a picture of the screen showing live info for the life of me (cheap camera)

At the moment Mapopolis does not support SiRF chipsets so there is no advantage to them yet just the plain NMEA, again there is no need to get one with all the extra commands as I don't think that the software uses them either.

The free maps expire after 9 days and there does not seem to be anyway around this as it 'remembers' the date each map was loaded and removing and replacing the maps make no difference. So I signed up and bough the Europe map pack http://64.208.105.215/subscriptions.jsp?s=...587.86434009661 and if you want all of England (not downloaded Scotland yet) you will need 140Mb free on your card.

Hope that helps everyone.

Phone1.JPG

Phone2.jpg

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Sorry Brody, forgot to say :oops:

Rugged it not what I would describe the arrangement. But to be fair the phone will not fall out of the cradle even if I slam the brakes on at 70Mph. The cradle will not come out of the air vent either and the 'base unit' will not come out of the cigar lighter.

But the cradle will slide across my air vent depending on how fast I go round corners and while the phone wont come out I have caught the cable a couple of time when changing gear too fast and it has clicked out of the bottom of the phone.

The kit in general is quite good, the speaker is loud and clear the mic is not too bad but it does the job. But for the price I don't have any problems.

When I change my car I will go for the full in-car kit and wire the GPS into the kit and permantley fix this into the car as there are only 3 wires to be added.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

If it says XDA then it should work fine with the SPV and the SPV E100.

Points to bear in mind, this device comes with its own cigar lighter lead so you do not need to supply power to it separately, which is a good point but you may need to organise a separate power supply for the phone if you are going to plan a long journey.

I had my GPS for a Christmas present in 2002 (much better than socks :wink: ) and have been using it with a mini pc (which means I cant use the car kit :) ). But I specifically wanted to drive my GPS from the ORA kit because....

1. The kit powers the phone.

2. While the phone in cradle the display stays on, otherwise you will need to adjust the power management settings to keep it on, which will also drain the battery more and then turn it off afterwards.

3. Not having bluetooth and doing quite a bit of driving, it still functions as a handsfree kit as well.

Don't want to sound like a downer, these are just some of the things you need to look out for, good luck let us know how you get on.

If you need anymore help then let me know.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

If it says XDA then it should work fine with the SPV and the SPV E100.

Points to bear in mind, this device comes with its own cigar lighter lead so you do not need to supply power to it separately, which is a good point but you may need to organise a separate power supply for the phone if you are going to plan a long journey.

I had my GPS for a Christmas present in 2002 (much better than socks :wink: ) and have been using it with a mini pc (which means I cant use the car kit :) ). But I specifically wanted to drive my GPS from the ORA kit because....

1. The kit powers the phone.

2. While the phone in cradle the display stays on, otherwise you will need to adjust the power management settings to keep it on, which will also drain the battery more and then turn it off afterwards.

3. Not having bluetooth and doing quite a bit of driving, it still functions as a handsfree kit as well.

Don't want to sound like a downer, these are just some of the things you need to look out for, good luck let us know how you get on.

If you need anymore help then let me know.

Guest pbird49

a TOM TOM BT GPS? Surely Bluetooth GPS devices of a muchness whether you bought them packaged with Tom Tom or not?

I have not managed to get my BT GPS connected to my E200. Bonded but not been able to get it working. Waiting for the ROM update. Any day now me hopes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.