JNKPlat : Updated With FREE download!

Guest Jayenkai

Guest cougal96

yup - wen i come back on i cannot switch between levels, i have to start from level 1!

Also i have noticed a bug - if u leave the game without pausing it for about 1 to 2 minutes it crashes my phone! any others having this?

Guest Jayenkai

Crash, as in once the backlight switches off, it sort of looses control!

If you tap a key, and wait a couple of minutes, it usually wakes up!!!

I'm working on this bug!

As for the saving, I'm not really sure what's going wrong.

If the thing doesn't randomly quit on you then, theoretically there's no reason it shouldn't be saving the game.

I'll add a cheat into the next version, and continue to look into this odd little bug.

Could you do me a favour, and email me 2 small files from your jnkplat directory. They should be in the same dir as the Exe, and labelled "debuglog.txt" and "inc.val"

mail them to me at [email protected] I should be able to work out the problem from those 2 files..

If those 2 files aren't there, then that'd be the problem... And I have NO idea why that would be!!

Guest cougal96

i have e-mailed you the files but no reply? i may have missed it though because i have a high filter level for spam e-mail! In the subject you could put a really long title so that i notice it more :) and if you have not received it i will resend - cheers

Guest Jayenkai

Hmm..

Well, I guess that explains why I never get too many emails these days..

Right, go here.. My Forum, specific topic

guests can reply, so reply to the topic, and post the contents of debuglog.txt and inc.val there. (They're both just text files, you can open them in Notepad. copy+paste them into the topic.)

I'm really sorry about all this.

:x I've now gotta go an find a new Email address, apparently... :evil:

Guest Jayenkai

Right.. your second email finally arrived, over 13 hours late..

So much for the speed of Emails!!

I installed the game into the same directory as you, and sure enough, there was the bug.

Exactly where you said it was..

So I moved it to where I had it..

And the bug was there too.

:oops: Oopsy! :oops:

Now, here's the problem.

I can't actually "Just Fix" that bug, since I've been updating it bit by bit every day, and the whole "Level Select/Loading" thing is a great big mess at the minute.

Give me a few more days, and I'll post a new version.. promise :)

Guest VR6Pete

I like this game lots! :) quite fun, however, a nicer main menu would be nice where you can exit the game nicely and have a few options to play with, my biggest bug bear is with how the character moves, It would be nicer if he moved more smoothly :lol:

Guest Jayenkai

a) Nice main menu is in the next version, all except the options screen... Well.. The options screen IS there, there's just nothing in it apart from "Music On/Off" !!!

Any suggestions?

:) Nicer animated graphics..

I've made various versions of this game, in various forms of Basic over the years.

I've learned that, if you Animate Platdude, he loses his overall speed.

Imagine the "Run for your life" level, whilst waiting for, even 2 little frames of animation.

Sure, it could be done, but the animation would either be too slow to play it right, or so fast that you wouldn't even notice the animation!!

So what I decided to do, was to split the game in two.

JNKPlat is a series of games looking exactly like the one you're playing.

Platdude is a series of games with decent graphics and animation. However, due to me liking Sonic, I tend to go overboard with the Platdude games, and, rather than having little Puzzle-y levels, I aim for large scrolling "run"'y levels.

This of course leads to the inevitable "I'm not really that good at designing levels" problem, and the game just kinda gets lost through time...

Click Here

Contained here are 5 little Plat games. All of which (should) run in Windows.

1st is JNKPlat 4, this was done in DarkBasic.

It works well, except for some reason it doesn't seem to like my current system..

2nd is Platdude Adventures. Again in DarkBasic, so it got rejected by my system, too!

3rd is Platdude Blitz, written in Blitz Basic. It's quite good, but.. There's not too many levels (about 5, I think), and near enough none of them are actually finished!

4th is JNKPlat Ressurected... This was the point when I realised how much I loved my old JNKPlat game!

and 5th is JNKPlat3D Xmas edition. It's a Semi-Isometric 3D interpretation of JNKPlat. It's a bit odd, but I think it worked quite well..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cougal96
Right.. your second email finally arrived, over 13 hours late..

So much for the speed of Emails!!

I installed the game into the same directory as you, and sure enough, there was the bug.

Exactly where you said it was..

So I moved it to where I had it..

And the bug was there too.

:oops: Oopsy! :oops:  

Now, here's the problem.

I can't actually "Just Fix" that bug, since I've been updating it bit by bit every day, and the whole "Level Select/Loading" thing is a great big mess at the minute.

Give me a few more days, and I'll post a new version..  promise :D

hey u alright buddy - any news on the non saving levels and bug on backlight turnoff?

Guest Jayenkai

The Backlight Bug : Dunno if I can fix that. I'll have another hunt around the net and see if I can figure out a way to solve it.

The Non-saving levels.... was a problem with the version I uploaded.

I am "More or less" ready for release 2, all except for the Text Entry Box..

As good a coder as I am, I just sometimes get stuck on stupid little things..

This is one of those things..

I'm bad enough at coding regular Text boxes, but this one has to also take into account all those letters on the number buttons..

I know HOW to do it.. It's just being bothered to do it that's the problem ;)

In the next release, the major change will be the way the thing organises levels.

I haven't actually gotten round to adding new levels yet, but this is mostly due to the fact that, in order to save a level, I now need to enter a Name for the level... Which I can't do.. 'cos I haven't yet written the Text Entry Box :D

Other than this, I've started work on my Retro Collection. The first release of that should be.. before the end of April..

Guest cougal96

no, my problem is not with non saving created levels its as i sed earlier that wen i get up to a certain level when i quit and re-enter the game i have to start back at level 1!!

Guest Jayenkai
The Non-saving levels.... was a problem with the version I uploaded.

I uploaded what I thought was the "Saving Levels" version, but it turned out I was wrong.. I'd uploaded "About 10 minutes earlier" version, which I hadn't yet added saving levels to..

I've since deleted the "Saving levels" version, to make way for the "New Level Format" version, but I can't upload that yet, because of the text entry box bug which, whilst it will save the level you're up to, won't actually save the levels...

But the levels are in a different format, so when it does save which level you're up to, it only does so for one level pack, so it'd be useless when you've more than one level pack...

(that make sense?)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jayenkai

Note : This post updated to match Release 2..

If you have no Main Menu screen, please download again!

(Don't think I'll bother making new posts next time.. People seem to prefer this one!!!)