Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kobukan

I too have just had a replacement due to the sound quality, and as above it does not have the ROM update.

Should I add the update? Any suggestions from the experts among you would be appreciated. :D

Thanks.

Guest drblow

Just read through this thread & then make your own mind up!! If you had asked me a week ago I would have said DON'T update. But I got a replacement from O and as soon as I heard the old buzzing speaker phone, I had to update again regardless of the consequences. :evil: It's either a case of can't use it as a phone, or put up with the many bugs in the update. Difficult choice, I know! :?

I suppose from the lack of responses from Paul/Mr. Orange that there have been no plans made by Orange to fix any of the problems with the update (suprise, suprise), so the e200 remains the highest spec & worst performing phone on the market. :roll:

Guest Pondrew

How did you come to that conclusion drblow? I understood Orange indicated at the Modaco meet that another update was being worked on.

Guest nato

If that is the case and they are working on a new release, why didnt paul or someone tell us?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest drblow
If that is the case and they are working on a new release, why didnt paul or someone tell us?  

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Thats pretty much the way I'm thinking! That, & past experience. No offence meant to Paul, like!! Not his fault or anything. :wink:

There is a remote possibility that Orange are working on a new update (it would be scandalous if they aren't) and that past experience has told them that it would be better not to publicise the fact. It is true that as soon as mention is made of an update, this forum goes nuts with people demanding release dates. Then again, thats only because we all have such poor quality phones & we're looking for a fix asap ... blah, blah, blah. It's a can of worms really whatever way you look at it.

That, & the fact that I'm always hoping to goad somebody into making a statement. :wink:

Guest Pondrew

I don't know for sure that Orange are working on a new rom but I've read several times on Modaco from several peeps that they are. Apparently Mr Orange stated so at the meet (and before you all start b*tching about his absence from the board he also stated that his position in the company has changed: it's a safe bet he's not acting as Mr Orange anymore).

As for lack of comment a new update from the moderators, maybe they are fed up with the usual routine of acknowledging what they know; being barracked for info; asked for the beta update even though they can't give it out; and eventually being blamed for not spotting any shortcomings when the update is released. I expect the 'Do you have any comments about these problems, given you took part in the beta testing' p*ssed them off.

The alternative (a terrifying one :shock: ) is that they have been left out of the loop this time. Personally I don't believe that for a minute.

So maybe there is no update in the pipeline after all! :)

Guest Pondrew
It's a can of worms really whatever way you look at it.

I hear you drblow. This thread doesn't seem to be dieing anytime soon.

Guest drblow

yeah, i think there has been quite a bit of irresponsible posting related to updates, & i wouldnt be at all suprised if the mods dont want to say anything even if they do know something. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Johnbe

For information: like others posting here, I found the E200 update had no effect on battery life, and had to keep the SD card popped out in order to get any life from the phone. Last night I tried (in desperation I confess) doing the Clear Storage tip mentioned earlier in the thread (by Paul?), and have now had my phone on, card inserted and in discoverable mode for over 13 hours and I still have around 40% juice left! Prior to Clear Storage, phone would be virtually out of power after 6 hours. Its a PITA losing everything on the phone, and t9 still sucks :roll: but its a big improvement so far.

Guest amaro

Hello to all!

I am a new member and a new user of windows mobile. I live in Portugal am I bought a Qtek 8080. And I am sad. The sound quality and battery life are very poor. Although I saw this post and I was very happy. But I cannot install this “orange” thing in the Qtek it wont let me, and the phones model seems to be the same.

Does anyone know where can I find the rom upgrade for the qtek 8080? Since the www.qtek.nu page is all in Russian or something that it’s impossible to understand.

Please help, thank in advance and sorry for my jagged English.

Amaral

Guest mattgod69

I have Win 98 and a very buggy E200! Unfortunately, because I use Win 98 I cannot install the update (Im not even sure its a good idea anyway!) The point is even if I wanted to install the update I cant because I use Win 98 (like about a third of all users!) Great. Thanks Orange! I have written to them complaing, but no response has been received. Has anyone else had the smae problem? Does the update work with Win 98se even though it says Win 2000 or XP only? Many thanks in anticipation.

Matt

Guest Pondrew

I haven't tried myself (I'm running XP Pro) but I'd be surprised if it didn't work, and others have posted earlier in this thread that it worked for them. But, can't blame you being reluctant to try in case you end up with one of those stylish paperweights!

Guest sgannon

Applied the update when it first came out as I couldn't use it for phone calls due to the crappy speaker. Now I just use it for voice calls and texts - it's virtually useless for anything else as it keeps locking up trying to find the SD card. Used it loads every day before the update, now I use it for 15 mins a day if that and I've lost all enthusiasm for future SPVs. Good work Orange.. :evil:

Guest dombates

I installed the update on Win 98 with no problems so far (well except for the occasional disappearing storage card problem). Post-update standby time increased to two days (storage card out) which ain't too bad.

Guest Raven Nephilim

Hi all. I have an Orange SPV E200 too and I have only one tiny complaint about it... The bluetooth on it sucks big time. Its a wonder Orange bothered with it. I bought an Ipaq 1940 as a companion to the phone and find I can do virtually nothing with it over bluetooth. They discover each other and thats about it. Could someone please point me in the direction of Orange HQ so I can kill everyonr there? :evil:

Only Orange and Microsoft can turn a great idea into a pile of junk!

Guest hamed khan
Hi all. I have an Orange SPV E200 too and I have only one tiny complaint about it... The bluetooth on it sucks big time. Its a wonder Orange bothered with it. I bought an Ipaq 1940 as a companion to the phone and find I can do virtually nothing with it over bluetooth. They discover each other and thats about it. Could someone please point me in the direction of Orange HQ so I can kill everyonr there?  :evil:  

Only Orange and Microsoft can turn a great idea into a pile of junk!

Just to let you know that the bluetooth with the phone does suck big-time, but there is a new version of SmartExplorer out which adds considerable bluetooth functionality to the phone. You should get hold of it. G'luck, Laters.

Guest jus12

With some anticipation I downloaded the ROM update for my E200 and guess what ? It managed to wipe everything from the ROM and not load the update. Now I have a phone that is unusable. However, after much discussion with Orange and numerous attempts to remedy the problem they are sending me a new phone !

Has anybody else experienced the same problem of error code 113 ?

Guest charlwillis

Even though this thread started a few months ago, I thought I'd throw in my two pennies worth...

I bought my E200 just before Christmas, and have loved it from the start. I don't appear to have one of the buzzing ones, my bluetooth works fine with my (Jabra 200) headset, and in nearly 6 months, it's only frozen/crashed on me one or two times. It annoyed me that T9 didn't remember words though.

This month, I discovered this forum (and am now kicking myself I didn't earlier). I've applied all sorts of homescreen plug-ins, and have also been playing around with new applications, etc. Fantastic! Then I saw that there was a ROM update so I went to the Orange site over the weekend, backed up all my data, and downloaded. I didn't check what the size of the download was, but when I ran it, I got a flickering screen telling me to wait whilst it analysed my phone, and then an error page telling me to check all my connections. Given that everything was plugged in where it should have been, I rang Orange. I was told that the downloads from the site to the PC are often corrupted, to try downloading again, and if it still doesn't work, not to worry about it. Maybe it's due to all the complaints and problems I've read about here, but the guy told me that the new ROM would make almost no difference to my phone so I should just forget it.

I tried downloading the update again but got the same problems so didn't try again.

I've now read all 34 pages of this thread and it sounds like I should be thankful I didn't manage to update. My heart goes out to all those for which the update messed up their phone - I would be lost if anything happened to mine.

A handy tip for those who don't have Smart Explorer: if you go to your multimedia album (From the camera screen, Menu-->Album), click on Menu again and then Change Folder. This takes you to a very basic phone explorer. Of course it's got very little functionality and I would recommend Smart Explorer (especially for sending things via Bluetooth) but there you go.

Also, as posted elsewhere on this site, if you save a text message in your draft folder with those words that T9 won't remember, it will now remember them.

Apologies, for the long post - just a few thoughts.

Guest lllr

I tried to update the phone I ordered and SIM unlocked and the update tool returned an Error 100 Incompatible image. I tried the RUU_v2.4_OrangeUK_v2.6.1.3.exe which I thought would work for my phone. Is there anyway to tell on the phone which image should work?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest krisbutler

Hi- firstly great forum- you guys saved my bacon today. I updated my E200 only to find that the image wiped the phone and then failed with error 113. I have had the phone for three days (having had a SPV classic previously) and thought "S***, I've knacked it!". Luckily it can be recovered without returning to Orange, thanks to Florin's fix. Apparently, Orange have been shipping new e200's recently with the patch applied, but have not updated their website to warn about the issues of "upgrading" (or downgrading in this case).

After an hour of worry, the phone is back . Thank god for Modaco's forum.

Cheers Guys

Kris

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.