8390 MMS help

Guest markgamber

Guest markgamber

My new 8390 showed up yesterday and 98% of it is in English, including the T9, but the MMS app is still in Chinese. Unlike (it seems) like everyone else here, I do want to use the MMS app so can anyone give me the bird's eye view of what to do? The English manual kind of sort of covers it, but it doesn't go into enough detail to really be useful, like how to specify an account and so on. Any help will be appreciated!!

Guest Nevermore

I would also like to know how to use the MMS program. Perhaps there's a third party MMS application we can find? I've looked and found nothing thus far.

Guest markgamber

Nor have I. Using AttachSmart, I can attach images to emails and send them, which is probably cheaper in the long run, but it's more steps than should be required and not the most intuitive solution. Given the alternatives, however, I guess it'll do and it's just a minor bump in what has otherwise been a great smartphone experience. :-)

Well guys unless anyone of us can read chinese, and wants to translate, we are all stuck. There was a 3rd party MMS app somewhere i think will have a look for it.

if not we all have to wait for the update or get hold of the Hong Kong Mitac 8390 rom, which apprently has english T9 and MMS.

hope it helps

"Z"

Hi there, I am a Hong Kong Chinese guy and brought a 8390 recently, here is a quick translation of those Chinese characters, please post your questions here if you need further help on them.

Main Screen:

--------------------

New MMS

Inbox

Draft

Outbox

Sent box

Media Manager

Option

MMS Center setup

Left button: Select

Right button: About

In New MMS

-----------------

Picture

Text

Sound

Left button: Add

Right button: Function

1. Capture (take photo)

2. Add picture

3. Delete picture

4. Record sound

5. Multiple Page

5.1 Add

5.2 Delete

5.3 Previous page

5.4 Next Page

6. Playback MMS

7. Save MMS

8. Send MMS

9. Cancel

In Inbox

-------------------

Received message on the top if there are any, otherwise "No Information" will be shown at the center of the screen.

Left button: New message (link to New MMS)

In Draft, Outbox

-------------------------

Same as Inbox

(I don't use MMS and I don't have any MMS to test with.)

In Media Manager

------------------------

Picture

Sound

Often used phrase

- Be safe on the trip

- Happy birthday

- I miss you

- Wish you good health, everything as wish

- How's these days?

- Thank you.

In Option

---------------

Save MMS after Sent

MMS sort by:

- Sender

- Receive Date

- Subject

- Size

Receive Now

Size limitation

- MMS to sent

- MMS to receive

Number of retry

Connection Setting

Hope this may help. :D

Guest markgamber

Awesome! I'll get back to seeing if I can get it to work. Thanks Neko! And "Z", I've been searching for a 3rd party app but to no avail thus far. I even took apart the 8380 ROM update file and extracted the jMMS app in there but it didn't work. If you stumble across something that looks promising, please post it and I'll take a look as well. Thanks all!

Just an idea.

If you skillful guys are interested you could extract the Chinese MMS apps from the 8390 and do some Hex editing to replace the Chinese characters into an English one.

Good luck and love your Mio more. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest the bishop

on the page where it has other basic MMS providers I created one for my carrier (Tmobile) and it seems to work. I'll get with Mark and maybe he can let me test it with him. (still in Chinese though).

Guest markatkinson

Greetings I have 8390. As you have discovered BAND Select is also in chinese. This file can be modified and english inserted easily using Visual Studio. There is a problem

MMS and Bandselect call Privilged APIS in the phone and required a special digital certificate to execute (doesnt matter if phone is unlocked). Both applications are digitally signed like this. Which means if you change a single byte they will not execute on your phone. This is for safety. I have tried resigning the modified application but the MSFT resigning tool will not let you resign a previously signed application. Absolute bummer as you can get squat out of Mitac. Seems they are hiring english speaking S/W engineers at the moment. They certainly need them.

Signed apps require an authorized developer to hold a recognized digital certificate. MSFT provide developer certs for this purpose however they wont help. The MMS Application does not appear to contain resources so they must be hidden in a dll somewhere. If you want to have a go you will need to install Chinese language packs so that you can read the chinese symbols.

INTERESTING SURVEY: INSTALL YOU BONUS CD Applications.

Goto Task Manager:

Watch your memory over the next five minutes:

Please post your results.

As we have all noted the manufacturer is showing pictures everywhere with english MMS and Bandselect.

They are not handing them out

Support is ignoring requests for help except for trivial problems

Guest the bishop

yes I've noted that as well. I've loaded a few things on the phone, but would I need to remove & reinstall to do this survey?