PIPEX POP3 email setup on E200

Guest mattartist

Guest mattartist

Hi,

Great forums chaps. I was looking forward to getting my e200 but this site has made me even happier!

BUT, I have a nagging prob. Basically I can't r'cv email from my PIPEX DSL pop3 account. Sending SMTP is fine and working thru orange.net. I've tried all sorts of setting combinations for the POP3 with just no joy. The result each time is a long long long 'Connecting' status. Then when I disconnect, the 'Disconnecting' status stays at the top until I hard-reboot - even after going 'home' and back to inbox.

Has anyone successfully r'cvd emails to spv e200 from a PIPEX dsl account??

I've phoned Orange and PIPEX to confirm I'm doing the right thing re. settings, they both say I am. It's a mystery ... help, cheers!

Guest mattartist

Just to update this from a more patient point of view...

On sending & r'cvng, process goes as follows .... select s & r'cv> "Connecting ..." displays > (approx 5/6 mins later) "Sending and Receiving ..."> i receive test email sent from phone (pipex account) to work email account > phone displays error, ' An error occurred while downloading messages. Verify you have network coverage and that account info is correct and try again'.

I'm very sure I have correct account info - tried several combinations for luck.

That's as good as it gets for my e200 at the mo.

Incidentally, I updated the ROM update to 2.6.1.3 the day I got the phone so not sure if it would've worked beforehand. I'm finding now on these forums that the update-ain't-too-great for many aspects of the e200.

Anyone got similar or solved this prob. I noticed that 'nanocheese' (i think was the name) has, but as yet unresolved.

Cheers.

Guest mattartist

Thanks for reply walibe,

Have done that already with no joy. I'll keep trying. It could be an issue unrelated to the POP3 settings themselves .... looking at the bigger picture ...

Guest pizdyetz77

Sign up for an orange.net email. It's free & you only need to give your mobile no.

Test pop3 receiving on that - that'll at least show you if it's your pop3 settings that are at fault . . . .

Hope that helps.

GH

Guest ltgland

I had the same problem when I didnt know my virgin.net password.

Check the password, and remember to tick the "leave a copy on the server" box if you want a copy on your home PC

Guest manocheese

It's manocheese, as in Man O' Cheese, I like cheese.....

Anyway, it's still not working but I'm going to pop into the Orange shop this week and get some help.

Guest robinknight

Manocheese - did you get any joy on this opne mate ?

I am in a similar position to you except that IO am using Yahoo rtaher than PIex. I have exactly the same settings as I use in Outlook other than the fact that I am using smtp.orange.net as the outgoing server.

These are also the same POP3 settings that have worked perfectly well on my last few phones with no hitches whatsoever (P900, Nokia 6600, P800 and original SPV).

I too have the updated ROM.

Let me know if you had any joy.

Thanks

Robin

Guest richardyates

I've had this problem too. I fixed it by reinstalling the update for a 5th time! Every time it has appeared to have updated OK, only for problems to become apparent later - eg camera didn't work, MSN worked when it felt like it. The email thing is a real pain, because everything looks OK but isn't, but this time (fx fingers crossed) it appears to be fine

cheers

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mattartist

Hopefully the last entry in this chapter for me on this one and not sure if it will solve yahoo probs above but....

POP3 access worked when i typed in the account's whole email address for the user name - not the login or username that Pipex supply - so in the SPV, username was [user]@dsl.pipex.com. Sounds simple and I'm sure I tried this before but I suppose the variable combinations can be contradictory.

Though i have just had several weeks of no HTML so something may have clicked correctly when sorting that out!

Good luck guys ... My faith is restored in the e200, but depleted in OCS - apart from one chap called Tom who can really solve problems!