mpx220 Confirmed by Motorola

Guest mattscholey

Guest rumseym

Dear All,

I received this msg from moto after sending them an email. If you read the email I sent I didn't even mention the MPX220.

Looks like July August will be the launch date!!!

Dear Mr Rumsey

Thank you for contacting Motorola.

We dont have a launch date for the mpx220 yet.

I may be on the market in July/August.

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to

contact us again, quoting your Question Reference number.

Motorola Cellular Response Centre (UK)

www.hellomoto.com

Customer (Mark Rumsey) - 04/13/2004 08:52 PM

Hi,

I have read rumours that an upgrade to the mpx200 will soon be released.

Do you have any information about this new phone or its release date

Thank you for your help

Mark Rumsey

Guest ratcom

:D/ ;)/ :lol:/ :P/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

If this all does turn out to be true Im buzzing at just the thought of a mpx100 spec phone in a clamshell!! All this on the day I get a promotion at work! all I need know is to get laid........ :wink:

:D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

p.s. sorry for the smiles but what the hell....

Guest mattscholey

I have just received a further email from Motorola, confirming further specifications about the phone. It was in response to this email, which I sent to them:

Hi.  Many thanks for such a quick response - the mpx220 sounds like just the

phone I've been waiting for.  Do you know if it will be a Microsoft Windows

Smartphone, and will it be running the newer 2003 version (as the mpx200

runs an older version I think)?  Also, will it have Bluetooth, or even

Wi-fi, and do you know the dimensions of the handset?  If you have any other

specifications for the handset, it would be great if you could send them to

me.

The reply I received, from Motorola support staff is as follows:

Dear Mr x

The mpx220 will be a 2003 Smartphone with Bluetooth and camera.

If you want further specs on the phone you can go to www.gsmarena.com.

contact us again, quoting your Question Reference number.

What this seems to be saying, is that the leaked specs are entriely correct!

Very intesting.

Matt

PS. Midnight: I know that posting these will get the person who sent the emails in a lot of trouble, but I felt it was in the interests of the smartphone community to know. If they can tell me, then I don't see why they can't tell everyone.

Edited by mattscholey

Guest daisysmurf

Hi,

Was speaking to someone at orange last regarding my broken mpx200 and he said that the MPX220 should be out in June. In fact apparently many of the staff were already testing it !!! :D

Guest midnight

i think this is most likely saying that the only reason this person at moto knows about the phone is cos they read about it on gsmarena :D

Guest mattscholey

That's a point. But surely if you worked for Motorola, and discovered a new Motorola phone that you'd never heard of, you might just ask your boss about it?

Matt

Guest beersoft

mid, you have a typo

sherly it should read " thats assuming your boss knows anything, and can dress himself in the morning"

later

Owen

Guest paddy_mcnulty

I have just recieved a reply from Motorola after I enquired whether te rumours of MPx220 were true . The reply said that yes the MPx220 is going to released but they gave no date. They told me to keep checking there website for it.

Anyway, so it looks like it's true then and I am presuming that it will be soon as they normally deny all knowledge of these things - fingers crossed!

Below is copy of their reply me:

Dear Customer

There will indeed be an MPx220 (Smartphone with built-in camera) released, however there is no date set for this as yet. It is also not sure on which networks they'll be released. We can only recommend you keep an eye on our website www.hellomoto.com for further updates.

contact us again.

Anyway, I'm off down the pub...

• 1 month later...
Guest keni

I went to a Vodaphone store yesterday, they told me that the MPX will be released by them at the end of this month with the 220 a month later!!

Guest gak001

I just got this reply from motorola US when asking about the MPx220:

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be of service to you.  

Regarding your question the Mpx220 will be available around June 2004 but is not currently available from any major US carrier. The MPx220 smartphone is the successor of MPx200. It features color display, VGA camera, Bluetooth, MMC/SD card slot, GPRS data, WAP browser, polyphonic rings, J2ME, voice dialing, voice recording and streaming multimedia. The operating system is the latest Windows Mobile for Smartphones 2003 (MPx200 runs the 2002 version).

If you want to know more information about the Mpx220 please check the link below:

http://www.ADVERT LINK REMOVED.com/htmls/details.php?id=751

If you need further assistance please call at 1-800-331-6456 Motorola Customer Support. The operation hours are from 8 am to 7 pm CST.  

Thank you for contacting Motorola we appreciate your request.  

Best Regards,

Guest mattscholey
I went to a Vodaphone store yesterday, they told me that the MPX will be released by them at the end of this month with the 220 a month later!!

Great news. It appears to me that this is going to be a surprise release by Motorola, and that it will be coming very shortly, quite possible before the mpx100. I hope it has the same features as the mpx100 though (notably wifi without using the sd slot).

Was this in Vodaphone UK that you found this out?

Matt

Guest siu99spj

OK thats it! I've finally decided I'm going to wait until this phone comes out, even if I have to become old and grey. Ignore the fact that I've been stuck with my original SPV for 18 months, I want this phone the second it comes out!

Mind you, I think its quite an achievement to have had a Smartphone for 18 months and the worst thing I've had to do with it (Aside from taking pictures of myself, I don't think it'll EVER recover from that!) is a Hard Reset. I must be far too gentle with it...

Guest Davo

I would just like to say, that ive just attended a huge meeting with Moto (i work for orange).

Basically they took along 3 handsets that Moto will be selling with us in the 2nd and 3rd Quarter.

They are the V80

V220

and MPx200 relaunched (they explained they were very unhappy with the stability of the orange flex and they have worked closely with orange to iron out the bugs) all stocks were recalled last month. The phones are now reflexed and are going back on the shelves with a SD camera thrown in free.

When i questioned them about the MPx220, they said it was going to be launched in the US first then maybe later this year they would bring it here to the UK.

Guest podavies
So we get a reflexed MPX200 and the Americans get an MPX220.

That seems fair  :evil:

Dont forget this guy works for Orange

maybe they will release the 220 the mpx and the 100

on voda tmobile or 02 in the uk sooner.

Each operater will do their own deals

Guest greywolf ghost
So we get a reflexed MPX200 and the Americans get an MPX220.

That seems fair  :evil:

It sure sounds fair to me.......when you factor in I am in Canada and we get the MPX 220 about a week ahead of the US who have had the MPX 200 for a year, while the UK has had smartphone over 2 years.

This will be Canada's first official smartphone.

Guest martin
It sure sounds fair to me.......when you factor in I am in Canada and we get the MPX 220 about a week ahead of the US who have had the MPX 200 for a year, while the UK has had smartphone over 2 years.  

This will be Canada's first official smartphone.

Hee hee

(there is supposed to be a little bit of humour in my previous statement :) )

I actually think it's great to see the MPX220 being released in the US/Canada :lol: and hopefully it will be very successful because most of all, above everything, we need more application developers to turn their attention to MS smartphone and that will only happen as the MS smartphone markets increase.

I did notice that companies like tek'n'toys and expansys were taking pre-orders for MPX100 and MPx but not the MPX220 so I suspect these phones will initially be supplied only to the networks (probably through direct agreements).

TBH I've also got my eye on the MPX100. I really like this style of phone probably because I've always used an SPV, although I suspect the MPX220 or MPx would join it at a later date :wink:

There is also the Sagem S-7 but for me the MPX100 looks better.

Guest silverback

I've just been in my local Orange shop to upgrade from my original SPV to the MPx200. The assistant told me that they have none but are due some soon, and to make sure that when and where I do upgrade make sure that it come with a camera. She didn't say if this was built in or a free attachment

Guest Davo
I've just been in my local Orange shop to upgrade from my original SPV to the MPx200. The assistant told me that they have none but are due some soon, and to make sure that when and where I do upgrade make sure that it come with a camera. She didn't say if this was built in or a free attachment

Deffinetly an attachment, clips into the SD slot.

Its as i was saying above.

Orange got all their stocks recalled and are having them reflexed (ours are now back in stock) we are giving away the SD camera with them

Please note. The relaunch of the MPx200 is only an update to the software, the hardware is EXACTLY the same as before no change. Windows 2002 is still the operating system.

Its only had tweaks to the main OS and software

Guest silverback

We'll I've gone and upgraded to the MPx200 with orange over the phone. It is due to arrive on monday, so I'll let you know if it comes with the camera (fingers crossed). If it doesn't and I moan will I get one!!

Guest silverback

well, Phone has arrived today, but with "NO CAMERA ATTACHMENT". Still the phone is charging and so far looking by far better than my old SPV.