Definitive answer on moving items in E200 start menu

Guest robinknight

Guest robinknight

Hello,

Please can somebody walk me through this ?

After much searching and fiddling with regedit, surreal start etc. I'm still no further advanced.

I've tried to accessed the registry as per Midnights tweaks elsewhere on the forum and have located the correct values tab, I've even managed to rename some of the items however the order in which I have items in the values box does not match that on my phone.

Once I have located the "value data box" how do I add/delete menu items - is it as simple as typing in the ones I want nearer the top of the list ?

I want call history for example as no 1 on my start menu - so I typed in Call History.Ink as the first entry above Inbox.Ink - BUT Inbox is still no1 and call history is now buried on page 2 of my menu !

Can somebody who has successfully configured their start menu to their own requirements on their E200 please give me an idiots walkthrough as to how this was achieved ?

many thanks

Robin

Guest badboy4life

Erm just one small thing, I noticed you've typed "Ink" with a capital i, the entry should be "lnk" with a lowercase L. I hope that solves your problem mate!

Guest robinknight

Bad Boy - are you sure about this mate ? All the shortcuts listed under the Value Data for Order in Regedit have capital I - I tried the lower case i but no luck !

Can you walk me through exactly what you have done on your E200 to change the menu ?

thanks mate.

Guest ferret

What I did was to unlock my phone through OTA then just explored to Storage Windows Start Menu using Activesync and just deleted, moved the shortcuts that way.

Guest robinknight

Hi Ferrett,

And does that give you access to all the start menu items - I'm certain my phone is unlocked and yet I can only see the non-standard shortcuts i.e. those i have installed Pocket TV, Explorer, etc. etc. I cannot see Inbox, Calll History, IE, tasks, contacts etc.etc.

Also once I have located this icons how do I rearrange their order ?

Thanks again

Guest ferret

Make sure you've got Show Hidden Files ticked on your PC, you should be able to see them and move them then.

Should have been more specific sorry, you can't rearrange the order this way, but you can put them in folders. If you want to rearrange the order and not put them in folders I think you'll have to follow craftys advive. Sorry for getting your hopes up :roll:

Guest timothee
Ir save all the hassel and just use Jeyo Personaliser from here.  This lets you easily change the order of items in your start menu as well as other http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>Tweaks.

Wow nice, I hadn't yet discovered that :D The only thing is that you are only able to modify the order of the first 7 items instead of all items ;)

Guest crafty

Yeah - i know it says that it only stores 7 items (cus of limitations in the reg key) but i used it to order ALL items it it really works! Give it a try!

Guest timothee
Yeah - i know it says that it only stores 7 items (cus of limitations in the reg key) but i used it to order ALL items it it really works!  Give it a try!

I did...I moved almost every item, but when I wanted to save it told me only the first seven items were stored in the order I placed them....and indeed, there are some differences, but it isn't the exact order I wanted :D

Guest timothee

Because of the limit of only moving 7 items with Jeyo Personaliser I just tried to edit the registry key directly (see http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695...ry+e200&start=0 for more information), but also in the registry there is a limit! I can only type 8 items, nothing more :D

Because my start menu has already 4 pages with separate items (and I'm not able to move everything into nice folders because not all links work anymore ;)), I definitely want to sort it....does anyone know if it is possible to completely sort the menu (for example by expanding the registry key(s) and/or sorting it into nice folders with working links?).

P.S. Does anyone else experience some lockups too with using regedit on an SPV E200? If I try to search or export something, the phone locks :?

Guest crafty

hmmm, works fine for me! I've got my 8 most used apps on one page then nice tidy folders on the next page. Means everything is easy to get to and not too cluttered. AS fro 'extending' reg keys - i have no idea how you could do that!

timothee - why don't links work when you move things into folders - do you mean links to the inbox etc from homescreens? If so there are two solutions; either change the target in the homescreen xml (just copy it to your PC and edit it with notepad) or use hidden links in the start menu (like the one to voicemail).

Guest timothee

Hmm..strange, I just tried again moving shortcuts to folders and it works well! I've got a very neatly start menu now containing only 2 pages :D

BTW: is this clever considering possible future (ROM) upgrades?

BTW2: the registry editor stays unstable on my phone...will take a look at the authors page, maybe it is a known bug?

Guest badboy4life
Because of the limit of only moving 7 items with Jeyo Personaliser I just tried to edit the registry key directly (see http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695...ry+e200&start=0 for more information), but also in the registry there is a limit! I can only type 8 items, nothing more :D

Dunno about Jeyo Personaliser, never felt the need to use it, but using the registry editor I don't seem to have this problem i can arrange the first 14 items!!-Which is just short of the first two pages.

P.S. Does anyone else experience some lockups too with using regedit on an SPV E200? If I try to Search or export something, the phone locks  :?

I think there is a know problem with PHM running on E200. I've read a few people having problems, and I also have this problem, particularly when trying to search for a particular entry. Never tried exporting.

Guest badboy4life
BTW: is this clever considering possible future (ROM) upgrades?

A trick I use is to create a copy of the menu on my pc or the storage card. Then to copy the contents of the registry key to an txt file, using something like xbar and orneta notepad. Then when i have to do a restore, I can just copy the menu back across and copy the contents of the registry key back and it all works fine - well as long as the phone is unlocked. :D

Note:One thing I found is that although all the entries get copied when backing up the menu, some items are not copied back when restoring, things like wmplayer and msn messenger.

Guest timothee

Dunno about Jeyo Personaliser, never felt the need to use it, but using the registry editor I don't seem to have this problem i can arrange the first 14 items!!-Which is just short of the first two pages.

Oh, strange...I'm not able to start a ninth line in that specific registry key :?

Maybe this is ROM version specific? I still use version 1.6.0.0

I think there is a know problem with PHM running on E200. I've read a few people having problems, and I also have this problem, particularly when trying to http://smartphone.modaco.com/search.php>Search for a particular entry. Never tried exporting.

Oh ok, I couldn't find anything about such a bug on the official PHM website.

Guest badboy4life
Oh, strange...I'm not able to start a ninth line in that specific registry key  :?  

Maybe this is ROM version specific? I still use version 1.6.0.0

Is this on the e200?-I assumed it was due to your comments about the reg editor. Think with the original SPV/e100 you could only have first 9 or something. Always been able to have the first 14 on the e200.

Guest timothee

Is this on the e200?-I assumed it was due to your comments about the reg editor. Think with the original SPV/e100 you could only have first 9 or something. Always been able to have the first 14 on the e200.

Yip...I'm talking about my 2-weeks old SPV E200, never had another one before. I'm only able to type 8 lines in the order registry key :?

Guest badboy4life

What you could try is adding all the entries in notepad or something and then copying the entire list (using xbar) in to the regisry key?

Guest timothee
What you could try is adding all the entries in notepad or something and then copying the entire list (using xbar) in to the regisry key?

Hmm...sounds great and simple...surely worth a try, but could you tell me where to find the xbar tool?

Would be great if this worked, because I had to add some .reg files into the registry too for some OS X theme, but haven't done yet because I don't want to edit the registry settings by hand (to much work :D).