'Free' Orange Internet Access on Orange SPV E200

Guest malcolmgirling

Guest malcolmgirling

The main reason I got the SPV E200 was that I suspected it may be possible to get 'free' internet access on the Orange network by selecting 'orangewap' as the access point for Internet access rather than the normal 'orangeinternet' access point.

This assumption has proved correct, but only works for those who have the Orange 'Open Access' Pack which gives unlimited WAP access via GPRS (subject to a fair usage policy of 10Mb/month) for £4 a month. In practice, I have used 48MB/month without question.

The Open Access pack also allows unlimited dial-up usage, which again is subject to a fair usage policy and should be useful if GPRS is not working. However I have not checked that this would give free access to the internet via an orangewap access point.

The 'Open Access' pack is no longer available - having been replaced by 'Orange World' which, unfortunately, charges by the MB for both orangewap and orangeinternet access points so you cannot get free internet access with it.

Although I expected to browse the full internet for free on my phone, what has surprised me is that I can use my SPV E200 as a modem to my computer and access the full Internet via the orangewap access point. This gives me unlimited internet access on my desktop PC for just £4/month! In order to do this I had to get the connection settings from a level 3 customer service representative from Orange wirefree enquiry line (dial 156 from your handset). As part of the modem initialisation string I was told to enter 'orangeinterment'. I simply changed this to orangewap and awaited the next bill! Result: All internet access was free!

NOTE: that I am accessing the full internet (not just WAP) and that this post was made for free on my desktop PC and using the Orange SPV E200 as the modem! I also do all my online banking in this way so using a wap access point does not prevent the use of secure protocols.

• 11 months later...
Guest bow9487

hey man i use my spv e200 as a modem on my pc 2.its free at the moment till april 29 2005

could u send me a email or somin explainin how 2 get the free access in little more detail plz as i dont realy get how 2 do it from tha post

thank bow9487

Guest bow9487

well i disagree ther if ur out and bout ith ur laptop n u wanna get on tha net then apart from wifi n 3g data card u ent gnna get beta. i can get myn 2 connect at ova 1 mb so i kinda fink thas kool

i will say tha somtimes it can b slow but on a laptop n not paying then i think its a good idea

Guest Jamma14

Ahem...

"Well i disagree. If you are out and about with your laptop and you want to connect to the internet, then apart from wifi or a 3g data card you will not find a better solution. I can get mine to connect at over 1mb/sec so it is actually very speedy.

I admit that sometimes it can be slow but if you are on a laptop and not paying for the internet access then I think it's a good idea."

There. Much better :D Hope I translated correctly.

Guest markgamber
Ahem...

"Well i disagree. If you are out and about with your laptop and you want to connect to the internet, then apart from wifi or a 3g data card you will not find a better solution. I can get mine to connect at over 1mb/sec so it is actually very speedy.

I admit that sometimes it can be slow but if you are on a laptop and not paying for the internet access then I think it's a good idea."

There. Much better :D Hope I translated correctly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL!!!! Yeah, that's better. I suppose the original message was written in....whatever language that's supposed to be....to save space or time? :D

• 5 months later...
Guest peterbonney
The main reason I got the SPV E200 was that I suspected it may be possible to get 'free' internet access on the Orange network by selecting 'orangewap' as the access point for Internet access rather than the normal 'orangeinternet' access point.

This assumption has proved correct, but only works for those who have the Orange 'Open Access' Pack which gives unlimited WAP access via GPRS (subject to a fair usage policy of 10Mb/month) for £4 a month. In practice, I have used 48MB/month without question.

The Open Access pack also allows unlimited dial-up usage, which again is subject to a fair usage policy and should be useful if GPRS is not working. However I have not checked that this would give free access to the internet via an orangewap access point.

The 'Open Access' pack is no longer available - having been replaced by 'Orange World' which, unfortunately, charges by the MB for both orangewap and orangeinternet access points so you cannot get free internet access with it.

Although I expected to browse the full internet for free on my phone,  what has surprised me is that I can use my SPV E200 as a modem to my computer and access the full Internet via the orangewap access point. This gives me unlimited internet access on my desktop PC for just £4/month! In order to do this I had to get the connection settings from a level 3 customer service representative from Orange wirefree enquiry line (dial 156 from your handset). As part of the modem initialisation string I was told to enter 'orangeinterment'. I simply changed this to orangewap and awaited the next bill! Result: All internet access was free!

NOTE: that I am accessing the full internet (not just WAP) and that this post was made for free on my desktop PC and using the Orange SPV E200 as the modem! I also do all my online banking in this way so using a wap access point does not prevent the use of secure protocols.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, changing your APN makes no difference, the "orangewap" apn is used for handsets that can only access wap (wml) pages where as the "orangeinternet" APN is used for accessing all other data services (email, the inthernet etc) the reason your getting free wap is because you have the access pack!!

it makes no difference which APN you go through. :o