Full screen DivX playback on Mio 8390

Guest neko

Guest neko

As the GAPI is broken on the Mio 8390, both Pocket TV and PocketMVP failed to work on this phone. For all of you wants FULL SCREEN VIDEO PLAYBACK try this program called BetaPlayer:

http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/

Download, install and run it.

In the Option menu, select 4-Video and 6-GDI.

This will bypass the GAPI code and WOW it works perfectly on 8390!!!

Credit goes to markgamber, thank you!!

Guest sabio_proeliat

Hi!

I've a problem with my betaplayer everytime Iamb trying to start a file the plays shuts down.

Suggestions?

Guest neko

the player itself will load and display the first frame of the last opened file automatically, if you have the GAPI turned on it will crash when trying to draw the first frame.

solution:

rename your last opened video file, so that it won't auto open it again.

of simply remove all video files from your phone, and apply the GDI setting when the menu appears again.

hope it helps. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest schriss

Remember that you can forget those crapy movies that you cvould play on old smartphones :)

For Mio 8390, I encode my DivX movies with 1000kbps video and 48kbps 44KHz mono audio (I use 128kbps streo for videoclips), and I still get 141% benchmark result from BetaPlayer :lol:

Guest pwest13

oops,

TO be more specific, how to encode movies into divx or something and make them wok on your phone, i really want this 30 minute program called "Little Britain" its the funniest program ever, any1 from the uk seen it?

Anyway more to the point, i need a guide for this plz!

Guest schriss

This guide looks OK.

http://www.divx.com/support/guides/guide.php?gid=8

Basically, you need to open file in VirtualDub, set the audio encoding as explained in the guide, set the video encoding as in the guide, use bitrate between 500kbps (smaller file) to 1000kbps (best quality), add RESIZE filter (Lanchos3) and enter desired size. If you have Divx which is 640x228, then put 208 as width, and calculated width: 208/(640/228)

Then File menu-Save As avi.

That shoud do it, you should get nice vide playable on your Smartphone. Put it anywhere on your Smartphone storage card, BestPlayer will find the file.

If it does not play smooth, then encode with lower bitrates, older smartphones may require as low video+audio bitrate as 110kbps to be able to play smoothly (80kbps for video and 30kbps for audio), but this will give very crapy quality.

My Mio 8390 plays 1000kbps videos smooth :) Quality is the best you can get, exactly the same as on desktop PC.

Guest pwest13
Quality is the best you can get, exactly the same as on desktop PC.

omg!!! thats amazing, thx alot m8, cant wait 4 my phone even more now, i tracked it in fed-ex this mornin as i bought it off same guy as you schriss and is says it "On FedEx vehicle for delivery"

:):):lol::):lol:

Guest pwest13

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D Guess why im soo happy!!! :( :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phone arrived about 10 mins ago, i only ordered it of the x1387 about 4 days ago! BRB after i have finished playing ! :)

Guest schriss

Well, it will be a little shock when someone discovers that GAPI is broken in Mio 8390 and what that means... :) but anyway, this phone is still the greatest cell phone I ever had!!! :lol:

Guest the bishop

i got a reply from mitac yesterday when i sent off a question about updating the ROM and they said they do not have a time for release ... maybe, looking at it in a good light, this means it will at SOME point be released? the other time I asked they just flat out said not gonna happen ... maybe enough people are complaining?

Guest schriss

You got the same replay as I - no time to make an update.

What a great manufacturer - produce, sell, take money, NO support.

Guest neko

A quick note to everyone trying to encode video for the 8390.

The display unit resolution of the phone is 220x176.

If you want your video fill in the whole screen then open up the resize filter in VirtualDubMod and set the new video resolution to 220x176. In case if you want to keep the aspect ratio of the video you should always keep the width = 220, and use a smaller number for the height. (e.g. 168, 160, 152, 144 etc) If your source video contains black bars on top, bottom, left or right hand side of the screen you should make use of the "Chopping" option after applying the new resolution.

For video settings, personally I prefer to use the Xvid codec with the 1PassVBR -Quality option, the quality switch could be something between 75-95, the higher number gives a better quality of video but bigger file size. I suggest starts trying things from Q=85, it usually ends up with about 1.5Mb/Min video so you could store up to 3 hours of movie on a 256Mb SD card.

For audio options, yes this phone is powerful enough to handle 48000Hz Stereo VBR MP3 with 24FPS video. But if your have choosen to use VBR on both video and audio you might experience a noticeable (or maybe unnoticeable ;-) frame drops on fast moving scenes. Its reaching the 200Mhz xscale limit or the speed of your SD/MMC can not catch up the job. Try lowering the bit rate of the audio, try using a mono sound if you don't need stereo or try keeping the video quality :)

Guest schriss

My two cents:

Width = 220

Height = 220 divided by (source_width divided by source_height)

this way you get correct aspect ratio.

As for codec, I notice slowdowns in XVid, but NO slowdowns in DivX and 3ivx (this one is my favourite as I simply set the quality to QP3 or 4 and that's it).

Chris.

Guest neko

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the sharing of your experience.

Just downloaded the 3ivx and did some encoding test and comparsion.

I used a fast moving anime as source and found that the default QP3 gave me a suprisingly big file size (8Mb/Min!), after a few try I think the QP6=80% suit my need most as the quality is still very good with a file size that similar to the XviD file that I originally encoded.

For the frame dropping issue, I didn't see the noticeable drop you said eariler. but anyway I did a comparsion between 3ivx and Xvid, with the same video content and a very close output file size, the performance between two are close enough that you can't really tell which one works better. (based on after playing a video file for a while, select File->Media Info for the Frame played and Frame Dropped information)

But there are some serious issues on the XviD codec that if an object is moving slowly across the screen for a while, you will notice some ghost image or screen tears off problems.

3ivx does not seems to have this kind of problem so we have a winner here! I will try it with a few more type of video source to see how well it works. (dvd rips, tv rips, low movement anime etc) Thanks! :)

Guest schriss

Glad you like it like I do!

You may try this:

encode the same short movie sequence with VirtualBud 3 times, with each of the codecs, just use the options that give same filesize.

Then do BetaPlayer's benchmark for each file.

I have been encoding Black Hawk Down movie a lot of times with different options, there is a lot of movement, and Xvid skips, while DivX and 3ivx play smooth with the same quality and file size.

BetaPlayer's benchmark gives me 138% :) for a file:

Size: 220x94, quality QP3, audio: 96kbps 44KHz stereo :lol:

Guest pwest13

Yes, Schriss knows how to encode!

His Black Hawk Down is perfect!

:lol:

I just wish i could understand all of this malarky, my options are different to my guides so i get stuck quite earliy on, i think its cos i have the most updated DiVx codec, 5.1.1 so when i configure the options are different. (bah, look at me trying to sound like i know what im doing)

:) Westy

Guest schriss

Yes, but first test it with the videos you create, make sure it plays smooth whatever you want, every player is different, has different performance, options etc. I find BetaPlayer to be the fastest one so far, but I use high bitrate videos (around 700kbps) and good quality audio (at least 64kbps). On the other hand, SmartMovie is the best looking player I have seen.