UPDATED: Photographs / Details of forthcoming C500

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

HUGE thanks to forum member Lutzh, who has obtained the following photographs of the forthcoming SPV C500, and to Midnight for the fine watermarking as ever!

We can see here that the C500 is significantly more compact that the E200, and looks set to be a hit!

We can also confirm that the device has built in BlueTooth, shares the same camera as the E200, and contains the OMAP 730 processor.

One exclusive little tidbit of information that's sure to get the arguments going... The SD/MMC slot is under the battery!

[Edit: More info - the phone has a Mini USB port on the base, a-la MPx200!]

c500new1.jpg

c500new2.jpg

c500new3.jpg

c500new4.jpg

c500new5.jpg

c500new6.jpg

Enjoy!

P

Guest zeta101

looks quite nice, small and black...a BIG shame they have messed up the position and size of the softkeys, IMO the softkeys should be directly above the D-pad/joystick, like in the spv/e100/e200. Putting the home and back kets inbetween them is a bad idea, and the D-pad doesnt look like it would be nice to use.

Guest SystemicAnomaly

still don't like it, HTC's youngest and ugliest son! For me it's got to be motorola from now on.

Good luck to the device though, the more people with smartphones the better i say 8)

Guest zeta101

and hmmm SD slot under the battery...thats kinda a goodthing/badthing. Means you wont lose the SD card if you drop your phone, but if you want to put video files on to the SD card i think most people use an external card reader connected to thier pc, which means you have to switch the phone off everytime you want to take the SD card out.

I wonder...is it possible for the pc/phone connection to be USB2.0 instead of it being limited by the current spvs serial port? if HTC can do this then there will be no need for external card readers.

Guest nickcornaglia

Size is definitely nice. SD under the batt is okay. I dont swich my card out much. Now I definitely wont lose it. (came close a few times).

What's up with the directional "pad"? Does it roll top to bottom and rock side to side?

Guest midnight

it cetrainly looks that way, rolls slightly up/down (doesnt roll all the way around or nothin), could still be a prob for games, but should work real well for normal app use

Guest zeta101

between this and the mpx220 which has the better processor? (not just talking about clock speeds, but overall)

mpx220: OMAP 1611

SPV c500: OMAP 730

The model numbers suggest the mpx220 is better, but how much better...

Guest nickcornaglia

how do you think the action key would work? That may be difficult to hit right in the middle if it also rocks side to side.

Guest zeta101

thanks paul...damn, gonna be hard choosing a new phone this summer...

lutzh, is there any chance you can answer enceces question about how the action key works?

Guest idavid

have to say that it looks great in the flesh. had serious misgivings abou the other image but the size reduction is astonishing. it makes the e200 look like a beast! also in teresting to see that they have managed to fit a normal SD card in rather than minisd even though it is significantly smaller than the moto mpx100. looks damn smart.

Guest zeta101

just hope there are no problems with you acidently going up or down when you press in, hopefully htc anticipated something like this though.

Guest midnight

more info on the processor.....

By integrating 40 peripherals on-chip, OMAP730-based designs will require approximately half the board space over the previous generation. This reduces overall system cost and leaves board space for additional functionality. Another feature is a SRAM frame buffer for faster streaming media and application performance. Other capabilities provide accelerated Javaâ„¢ processing, web browsing, personal information management (PIM) applications, location-based services and others.

The OMAP730 processor also provides a comprehensive hardware security subsystem. It includes a secure bootloader, secure mode of operation, secure RAM and ROM, and hardware accelerators for several security standards.

The OMAP730 processor is an integral part of the TCS2600 GPRS chipset solution.

OMAP730 Features:

Low-Power, High-Performance CMOS Technology

Low-voltage 130 nm technology  

1.1 - 1.5V cores, 1.8 - 2.75V IO  

Extremely low power consumption: less than 10 μA in standby mode  

Split power supplies for application processing, digital baseband and real-time clock enable precise control over power consumption  

Optimized clocking and power management:  Only two clocks required at 13 MHz and 32 kHz  

ARM926TEJ Core Subsystem

ARM926EJ-S V5 architecture up to 200 MHz (maximum frequency)  

16 kB I-cache; 8 kB D-cache  

Java acceleration in hardware  

Multimedia instruction set architecture (ISA) extension  

GSM/GPRS Digital Baseband Subsystem

Class 12 GPRS ROM-based DBB  

E-GPRS interface for EDGE co-processor  

384 K-bytes internal SRAM  

E-OTD and TTY support  

Quad vocoder with EFR, FR, HR, AMR  

GSM ultra-low power device (ULPD)  

SIM interface  

Application Subsystem

Supports Linux®, Microsoft® Windows MobileTM, Palm OS™ and Symbian OSTM  

DMA with 4 physical and 17 logical channels and a dedicated 2D graphics engine  

Programmable GPIO keyboard interface  

54-Mbps WLAN interface  

Security acceleration in hardware:  

Secure bootloader  

48 kB of secure ROM  

16 kB of secure RAM  

Hardware acceleration for security standards and random number generator  

Unique die ID cell  

Third-party Security software library  

Enhanced audio controller (EAC)  

Comprehensive memory controller for interfaces to:  

128 MB of mobile SDRAM  

256 MB Flash  

NAND Flash controllers  

1.6 Mb ISRAM  

SD/MMC/SDIO interface  

Enhanced Trace Module for debug  

LCD controller  

uWire  

SPI  

1-wire and HDQ interface  

Bluetooth data/audio interface  

USB On-the-Go  

Two high-speed 3.68 MHz UARTs  

Fast IrDA (FIR)  

Two 32-bit timers  

Parallel camera port  

Programmable three-color LED pulse generation  

I2C master/slave controller  

SmartCard interface  

its apparently twice as fast at application performance over the omap 710 used in the spv/e100/e200 while delivering double the battery life performance

both the mpx220 and the c500 use the same ARM926TEJ main processor (the e100/e200 was ARM925)

Guest Dazism

I think that is by far the ugliest smartphone I have ever seen. It looks like £30 PAYG model... Obviously if the screen was off :)

Guest Vector

Not AS ugly as i first thought, but still a bit ugly :)

That screen looks mighty bright tho!, unless the E200 screen had the backlight dimmed...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.