Ringtones on the MPx200

Guest brittster

Guest brittster

I know that this subject has been discussed in great detail, but I still need some help. I have downloaded both .wav and .midi files to my phone. I have copies on the SD card as well as in the sound folder IPSM. When I go to settings > sounds> the files do not appear, the only files that I have to choose from are the "stock" ringtones that came with the phone. What am I doing wrong?? Help Please!!!!

Guest awarner [MVP]

Welcome to the site :D

Try the ringtone in this post as I know it works.

http://www.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?t=110504

Place the ringtone in either My Documents on the storage card

or IPSMApplication DataSounds on the phone. If you had to create a Sounds folder remember to name it as "Sounds" otherwise the phone will not look in the correct place.

Guest brittster

I downloaded the ringtone as suggested, I can play it with Windows Media Player, but if I go to Settings > Sounds its not there, the only tones available are the stock ringtones. I rebooted the phone and they still don't show up with the ringtones. :oops:

Guest brittster

Yes, I definitely put them in the described locations. Went to the local ATT store, no help what so ever. We called Motorola from the store, got transferred to someone in software, he said to save the file in the windows folder, I did that and it didn't work. Any other suggestions???

Guest awarner [MVP]

There is no point saving files to the main Windows folder as

it get rewritten on every start up so any file you place there will get deleted.

Something very strange is happening :? I do not want to

suggest a hard reset either as that's a bit drastic.

Guest brittster

I'll keep checking back here for a response. I don't have a clue as what to do. Do I lose anything if I do a hard restart????

Guest brittster

I checked the sounds folder and it is Sounds with a capital S. The hard restart sounds scary. I have had the phone for about 2 weeks, it had less than 20 hours on it when I bought it. I'll try the jeyo program and see if that works. Thanks for all your help, and if anyone has some other suggestions please let me know.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The MPX200 is one phone that needs a Hard Reset when you

first get it in my opinion as this removes all the preinstalled apps that come with the phone. The pre-installed junk just clutters up the phone, and you can always reinstall the apps if you want from the cd that came with the phone. It's best to try and install your apps to the storage card.

Just remember to back up your contacts in Outlook.

Guest brittster

I think that a hard reset is way out of my league. I don't feel comfortable doing it. I don't want to end up with a $400 door stop. I guess for now I will have to live with it. If you think of anything else please be sure to post.

thanks

Guest awarner [MVP]

A Hard Reset is perfectly safe, it's flashing the rom that can

cause problems.

Apart from the app squall suggested there is nothing else I can think of.

Guest brittster

I might be willing to try it, but, do you think you can dumb down the procedure for me.

I read the post again.

All I have to do is hold down the action button (blue button) while turning on the phone??? Is this correct???

Guest awarner [MVP]

Correct :D

Then you will get the option to master reset Yes or No by

selecting the relevant soft key.

It takes a short while to complete the reset and when the phone restarts be patient as this also takes a while as the

phone needs to rewrite the IPSM.

Guest awarner [MVP]

All the apps that were installed on the phone will be lost and

need reinstalling.

Your contacts need to be backed up on Outlook so when you

reconnect after the reset you will need to create a new partnership and then you can resync your contacts back to the phone.

Guest brittster

My CD-ROM for the phone is @ work. I'll try a re-set Monday.

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how everything goes.

Guest awarner [MVP]

Personally I would not worry about the software on the cd

as there is much better apps around ie Task Manager and

Smart Explorer from www.binarys.com

Good luck (not that you need it :D)

Guest awarner [MVP]

Ok now I'm confused :? just rechecking, you did try the ringtone I use?

Also you did unzip the ringtone first before trying it?

Guest brittster

Yes and Yes. I even did it a second time. No change. Tried the Jeyco program as well, nothing. I can play all the sounds with Media Player.

But when I go to Programs > settings > sounds the file isn't there. I even checked the file attributes of a stock wav. file just to see if maybe there was a box that needed to be checked or unchecked. As far as I can tell every thing is OK. Any ideas on what to try next?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hifi-ringtones.co.uk

Are you sure you are using the right file format for your ringtone. The reason why I ask is that you said you were using a WAV but then you said that you played the WAV in Media Player. Thats what makes me think you have made the ringtone incorrectly as Media Player on the MPX 200 doesn't play WAVs, but it will play MP3s.

Like wise if you put an MP3 in your Sounds Directory then go to Settings, Sounds, the MP3 will not be displayed as this phone only looks for midi and WAV files.

I think you have an incorrectly formated ringtone file. One way to check it is to go to my site www.hifi-ringtones.co.uk Find yourself a ringtone or SMS alert that you like the sound of and buy it. You need to select the CAB version of the ringtone as this is the correctly formated ringtone for the mpX200 plus it will install to the right place automatically.

When you have done this if the file you bought still doesn't turn up in your settings/sounds then your phone has something wrong with it.

regards

Nick

Guest brittster

Now I'm really confused. I know the phone will play wav files, there are wav files that come with the phone. However, you say that Media Player doesn't play wav files, I'm sure that it will. I have even downloaded files in wave format that work on other peoples phone but will not work on my phone.