My e200's buttons stick! Help!

Guest Austin519

Guest Austin519

Hey guys, okay I have an SPV e200, latest firmware but aside from that I did a full reset so it's totally clean. My 4 button has been sticking so that (for instance) if I'm playing solitaire and press 4, it will rapidly flash the 4 as circled. Or, when dialing and I enter a 4, I have to wait a second before dialing another number or it will not recognize it. Finally, when going through my start menu and press 4, it will go all the way through pressing 4. I've tried hard resetting it, rubbing the button around, everything, with no luck. I've had this thing in a Krusell case since I got it and it's been very protected...it just started doing this one day.

Were that not bad enough, the same is happening to my brother's return button (the curled arrow), and he's having the same issues.

I wish I could just return it to Orange but unfortunately my brother and I are both in the US and we bought these from UK people. What do you guys suggest I do? I'm about ready to toss this stupid thing. To even enter contacts I have to do it in Outlook and then transfer it over :D.

Austin519

Guest Vector

sounds like the handsets are faulty :D

If you were in UK i would suggest you ring orange and ask for a replacement, but that isn't possible...

So don't really know what you can do..

Guest namiran

i have the same problem! but now i think ive found a way to work around it...at first i though it was just dust and stuff that disturbed the 3 button...but since i've installed the latest i-mate rom i found out i can do like this, start writing a new sms and in the sms try to write alot of words using the 4 button...like "hello" (press 4 then 3 fastly after) after a few words the 4 button starts to respond better and it will keep that way until i turn of the phone...

this does it for me...hope it helps

Guest jmcglynn

I have the same problem with the 4 button. does it seem to be an underlying fault in software or hardware ? Seems like software to me because I don't think the button is actually stickiing down.

Guest MongolHunter

I have the same problem with the 4 key but it's sporadic, only occurs for a couple of hours then goes back to normal. Haven't come up with a fix so far. Would this be covered under the first year warranty that most electrical equipments comes with.. i.e. I don't need orange care to get it replaced / fixed?

Guest Austin519

namiran:

Although that's a fine temporary fix I'm looking for a long term one :D. Also, after trying that it doesn't seem to help.

I don't really know what to do guys...I'm afraid I'm just screwed :D.

Austin519

Guest namiran

seems weird to me that more people hasnt complained about this...?

the "fix" works fine for me, but just for a few hours... :D

since i bought my phone in bangkok i cant get it fixed (live in sweden)

Guest Helix

I've just had mine replaced for this problem, although it was both the number 4 button and the back button. You can try bending the phone and twisting it - it seemed to make the button work again. Hopefully this replacement will not do the same. Me loves Orange Care.

Guest techiezee

i just got my 02 xphone like 2 weeks ago. i have the same problem with the back botton..

example:

when i write a message and use the backspace it will constantly erase all the characters.. in normal mode you when i press the backspace you will here the sound continously sounding, like pressing the backbotton and holding it. i did find a temporary fix though, i hit the backbotton with 1 of my knuckles to shut it up.. it will work after a few tries, but i am worried it will just make things worse eventually.. most probably there is some contact problem.. do you think i should open up the phone and try to clean it myself?

i can't stand this phone.. first it hangs a lot and now this!!!! ARGH!!!! give me hope puhlease!!!!! i am desperate!!!

Guest Papps

I have the exact same problem, had my phone for six months and its been in a Krusell case all its life, the 4 button always gets stuck on and the back button does most of the time too

any ideas anyone, i haven't got orange care, can i still return it for replacement??

Guest Papps

Amazing, i just read the suggestion of bending/twisting the phone and thought "How the hell am i gonna bend or twist the phone?" i tried it with all my strength thinking i was gonna snap it and hey presto, my 4 and back button now work, i can now play tennis on my phone again, i'll let you know how long it lasts for, very happy!!!! :D

Guest Austin519

I dunno...I tried to bend it some and that didn't work. I don't want to actually break my phone myself...because then I know I'll really be in trouble.

Austin519

Guest shodanjr_gr

OMG, i just tried the "twist" method and it works....

Although this may sound good, it actually bothers me since the fault is probably hardware related (and since i live in Greece and the phone has been bought in France so i can not see myself getting a replacement if the problem persists).

Guest Helix

It does work, but I found after a while the problem will come back. Just be careful while twisiting not to snap the phone :D

My replacement has not had any problems yet, touch wood.

Had the same problem on the train tonight, and the twisting "fix" worked, this happened to my 4 key and the back space (under right softkey). im guessing since this has happened to a few people this is a fault with the actual phone design with the mesh that sits under the keys and dectects the keys pressure

great now even if i try to twist it the back sapce key still sticks, anyone got any other fixes, at least before i go visit the local orange shop.... so pointless trying to write a message when i make a mistake and have to delete one character and the whole lot get deleated :lol:

**UPDATE**

Spoke to orange customer services today, most excelent call center girl on the phone and very helpfull, going to courier a replacement handset to me between 6 and 10 this evening :D my opinion of orange customer service has just greatly increased :D

Guest dshaugney

Jon_ may I ask exactly how you approache dthe issue and what did you say to the nice lady?

My close friend is having a similar issue with his mobile, it's been working fine but in the last month it generated these problems.

thanks in advance.

Guest shodanjr_gr

Has anyone tried repairing the phone instead of replacing it? Since there is no chance of me getting a replacement, i would like to know if i can get it repaired somehow.

Guest dshaugney

Sure, carphone warehouse can repair it.. but if you're like my friend who bought his from ebay with no proof of purchase (receipt from orange) then you wouldn't get far.

Guest namiran

hey!

i dont know how much this will help you all but tonight after doing a hardreset on my imate rom my 4 button started responding just as good as the other buttons!

i was trying to do the battery life improvement thingy and when i turned the phone on the 4 button was working...this morning still it was working just fine and now just as before still working!! all i did was the hardreset after charing 1hour more then 100% battery shown time and then hardreset...

the battery life hasnt improved what i can see, but im so happy i got my 4 key!!

weeeeeeeee

started ringing up and spoke to a guy, I just said that i had had the phone for just over 2 months, and half way through writing a text message it started to stick, he said give me your imea, since i was using the phone at the time i had to hang up and ring back, got through to a lady gave her imei then was offered the replacement phone via courier the same evening. Noughting was mentioned about any charge, unless i missed the delivery then I would be liable for the couriers fee's

Guest zedeff

I too have the same prob with my Xphone. I thought it was due to my having dropped the phone off my desk. But this seems to be a common problem. I can't wait for the C500 to come out so that I can switch to that.