Anyone get the 2003 upgrade to work?

Guest AbMagFab

Guest AbMagFab

Since most of us have probably installed the patch, our version doesn't appear to match the tested versions. I've tried the upgrade 3 times now, and it just hangs at 0% with my CPU at 99%. I have to kill the process and reboot my phone.

Anyone else have any luck?

Guest ingrambw

I called Verizon Mobile data support today and they are sending me a new phone with the WI23 version on it Overnight becasue they said it fails 20% of the time on the WH04 version I have.

Guest itzsnider

Was told lastnight here in Catonsville Maryland, that they are 1 for 6 in terms of upgrading to 2003. I am expecting a phone call on status sometime today.

So to answer your question, no , it doesnt work on my cell phone yet :-(

Guest pmerritt

I finally got mine to take and i had the WH04 software. I haven't noticed the differences yet because it just worked for the first time. I tried it at least six times before it decided to work. Also, there seems to be more than one image floating around. the one that worked for me is named. WM2003_i600.img

Guest dashette

The upgrade was no problem for me. I followed directions exactly and it worked like a charm. I did not have the right revision to start with, but I just went ahead and did it after calling Verizon. I don't think the current version really matters. It quickly writes over it anyway.

Having trouble with All-Backup now, but all other applications are working.

Guest pyromaniac4002

i get through the update thing until it says to make sure the phone is on and not in sleep mode, and when i check the box it says plug the power cord into the dock even though i already have it plugged in. i cant get the toubleshooting page to open either, great job verizon! :x

tried the thing about 5 times, i think it would be easier to just get them to send me a new phone with 2003 installed...

Guest Paramedic1

Tried the upgrade about 4 times on two different computers, following the on-scene instructions, without success. However, I downloaded the Upgrade Instructions pdf, and there are a couple of additional instructions contained in that document not indicated by the on-scene instructions. After I followed the written instructions I was able to complete the upgrade.

But I have noticed that after upgrading the phone to 2003, I am unable to view several internet sites that I could previously, using 2002. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, are there any fixes?

Guest Nukl3ar

What sites are you no longer able to view? I dont use the internet browser often ... mostly google & msn & the like .... but I've been unable lately to get a sign in page for Hotmail. Any problems there?

Guest mglish

For what it's worth, I simply took the phone to a Verizon Wireless store and they did it. It took them two attempts. The upgrade wipes out everything. I've heard that Verizon is supposed to charge $15 but they didn't charge me.

Mike

Guest Nukl3ar

Well I seem to be in the same situation as pyromaniac - everything is fine until the same point he reaches. I've probably tried in excess of 20x now. I've uninstalled & reinstalled the drivers and activesync to no avail. Guess I'll have to wait a while - apparently the store here still doesnt have their cable. Anyone w/ any clues please feel free to enlighten me.

Guest Malkie

I took my i600 to a verizon store here in richmond, va. on monday and left it over night. when i went back on tuesday morning to pick it up the tech told me there had been some difficulty and that the upgrade didn't take and that i should come back in one week. well when i turned on my phone it HAD been upgraded. I have already re-installed the shortcuts to the start menu for the apps on my sd card, re-installed the pictures I use for wallpaper, and wav files for ringtones and notifications, and have re-registered all of my apps except for one which should arrive tuesday, plus downloaded and installed a couple of apps that only worked with 2003. It has multiple email account ability though no support for SMTP so even though I've followed the directions for VZW SMTP server access I still can't send email from my phone tho i can recieve it all day long which will suffice for now. I'm getting a Socket SD BT card over labor day weekend and already have the BT USB device set up on my desktop and am really looking forward to using that feature. MalKiE

Guest Brooktone

I purchased my phone in January. The Verizon tech wasn't able to upgrade the phone for some reason, so they gave me a brand new phone with win 2003, not a refurb.

Guest Paramedic1
What sites are you no longer able to view? I dont use the internet browser often ... mostly google & msn & the like .... but I've been unable lately to get a sign in page for Hotmail. Any problems there?

I was able to access Hotmail, but can't get CinemaStar.com to come up. Haven't checked all of my other sites yet...

Guest Nukl3ar

I'm going to try to make this fairly quick. I was FINALLY able install the upgrade by transfering everything to my wifes computer and doing the install from that machine ... which is strange as they are identical boxes. Anyway - the upgrade lasted about 12 hrs. Everything was fine - programs I'd bought and not previously been able to install ... installed ... things were looking great! Suddenly this morning the phone locked up. I had to pull the battery in order to shut it down and restart it. Since that time I've not been able to get past the Windows Mobile startup screen. The display on the outside of the phone shows the correct time and date and battery & signal strength but I never get past the home screen & no keys work. I have to pull the battery to get the phone to shut off. After work I went to the Verizon store - they basically told me that they sell them but dont support them. They referred me to their tech support number. After an hour waiting to speak to someone ... the tech told me I'd have to take the phone to a Verizon store 40 miles away tomorrow & have them try to reinstall the upgrade. If that didnt work they would get me a new phone. I inquired as to whether or not it would be a NEW phone as that is what I'd paid for less than 50 days ago ... they dodged. When pinned down ... they said they didnt know but I'd have to try this other option first. Soooo - my experiences ... the Samsung i600 is a nice phone that has worked well for what I needed. Verizon on the other hand - at least in Ohio - reeks. And Windows ? well .... it's what we've come to expect from them ... buggy software apt to fail at any time.

Guest Nukl3ar

LOL - I wish it had been so easy. A hard reset was one of the 1st things I tried. As it turns out ... my wife took it to a total of 3 diff Verizon stores ... finally into Cleveland ... with each telling her the next had a cable & would attempt a repair. None had the cable until the final one ... and of course, since he couldnt get to the "settings" he couldnt do any good w/ his cable. Verizon sent a new phone overnight delivery ... still hasnt arrived. It's supposed to have the new OS on it ... we'll see.

Guest pyromaniac4002
Verizon on the other hand - at least in Ohio - reeks.

No kidding. Someone from one of their stores put this thing on our record and now my whole family can't get any cooperation from them. Its all the same here in California :? .

Guest mikemc311

if your @ this websight and reading this you probibly know more than a tech a VZW

i also had trouble where my PC froze durring the upgrade and my phone had been wiped (no smartphone OS) i got it to work by running msconfig and disableing all startup items and all non MS services than i ran the uprgade again (my 3rd try) when the upgrade got to the point where it wants to backup the data off the phone (which obveously it could not do) i plugged in my viewsonic pocket PC after the backup i replaced my i600 & continued through the setup process after that there were just a few points where it would not progress untill i took the phone of the sync and removed the battery then replaced it and turned it back on after it was on the sync cradle

well it worked and i love it

Guest Nukl3ar

Finally got my new phone - 3 days on an overnight delivery - and lo & behold .... it came w/ the old Win Mobile 2002 ... so now I have to start the entire process over. Of course this means that in order to have VZW do the chores there is another trip to Cleveland involved ... at my expense of course. And as so many others have experienced .... it's anyone's guess as to whether they will be successful at upgrading the phone. Guess I'll just have to be out the money to find out.

Guest calzon65

I was able to upgrade successfully from 2002 to 2003 on the first try, however, I found many incorrect parts of the installation instructions and very stupid mistakes. For example, one of the steps in the installation process listed on the Verizon website clearly says that you must use ActiveSync 3.7 because they say that ActiveSync 3.7.1 will not work. OK no problem, but then they give you a link (ActiveSync 3.7) from their website to the Microsoft site where you can download...you guessed it...ActiveSync 3.7.1. So if folks are not paying close attention, they will just trot along and could easily download and install ActiveSync 3.7.1

I'll tell you, these buttplugs at Verizon, from the way they have handled this upgrade and their other crap, certainly do not have experience in providing quality support for software applications.

Guest richmlpdx

I was able to upgrade my phone with little trouble. The first attempt failed, but after pulling the battery and letting it restart, the second upgrade attempt worked fine.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest minus9

My Version screen reads as follows:

S/W Version

PDA

S:i600.04.V.XE18.13349

EBoot:04.11

Phone

S:i600.04 V:XE18

Since I see version WI23 listed here and on the Samsung site, I wonder whether I have the latest version here or whether an upgrade is necessary.

Guest pyromaniac4002

I finally got it to work. After coming back from a 3 week vacation 3days ago, I decided to try it one more time, and I think they changed some stuff, the upgrade "tool" looked different and the instructions were noticably different. Whatever they changed it made it work. I haven't put all the new features to the test yet, but the ones that I have already tried are great. All that I did is delete everything that I used on my prior attempts, and started clean and downloaded everything again. Wish you guys luck in your upgrading :) .

oh ya, almost forgot, the smartphone theme generator does not work anymore and I was wandering if anyone knew of one that works for 2003, any help is much appreciated.