Yes, it's the Voq, and yes, it looks strange...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Look what arrived here at MoDaCo today!

voq.jpg

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it's pretty hard to imagine that anyone finds the Voq attractive... but what it misses in looks it makes up for in innovation!

I'll be doing a full review of the Voq Professional phone once i've given it a full test drive, but feel free to post questions in this thread, and below are few early observations to get you going..

- The Voq features a full flip out QWERTY keyboard

- The Voq runs an Intel XScale PXA262 processor

- The Voq runs from a 1050MAh Li-Polymer Battery

- The Voq runs Smartphone 2003 with custom software

- The Voq does not include T9, but instead includes ezitap

Watch this space! :P

P

[Edit: Had the phone less that a day, and found my first major bug... you can turn the phone OFF using the power key even when the keypad is locked. DOH!]

Guest Pondrew

Curious about ezitap and the customer software.

Also about battery life compared with the other devices (is it possible for a Smartphone to last more then 3days with use?)

Guest Paul [MVP]

I need to hook mine up with the VoqMail Software, which seems to rival the Blackberry offerings, as it was missing from my unit, doh!

P

Guest SatanX21

I'm very excited to see someone finally review the VOQ.

Few quick Questions:

1. How is the speed of the OS and reception?

2. Does the fold-old keypad feel flimsy?

3. Does the unit feel solid?

Believe it or not, I am one of the few who really does not have a need for bluetooth (please don't flame) or a camera. This seems the perfect unit for me. I need a device to be able to answer and receive emails (T9 input can get a little trying on the nerves) with a keypad. I do also find the MPx interesting, but the device looks slightly too big.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Early days, but...

1. The speed seems fine (I have a feeling it should be possible to overclock it), and the reception seems EXCELLENT.

2. The fold out keyboard feels rock solid.

3. The unit feels VERY plasticky, but well built if that makes sense.

P

I'm very excited to see someone finally review the VOQ.  

Few quick Questions:

1. How is the speed of the OS and reception?

2. Does the fold-old keypad feel flimsy?

3. Does the unit feel solid?

Believe it or not, I am one of the few who really does not have a need for bluetooth (please don't flame) or a camera. This seems the perfect unit for me. I need a device to be able to answer and receive emails (T9 input can get a little trying on the nerves) with a keypad. I do also find the MPx interesting, but the device looks slightly too big.

Guest SatanX21

It 'looks' almost the same length as the Nokia 3650.

I'm hoping some US carrier picks it up, would love to get it subsidized.

Thank you for your quick replies.

Guest Paul [MVP]

No worries, stay tuned for more as I use the device in anger ;-)

Best observation so far... you can get a car kit for it... now why can't HTC do that? :P

P

Guest beersoft

pete has a good point.

im sure i had a pair of trainers back in the early 90's with that tread pattern.

my dumb question is: whats eclipse like on it?, and does it have >5 way controls?

later

Owen

Guest Paul [MVP]

Not particularly (altho I have some hints)...

I've been involved with the Voq since the very early days, and seen it through several design changes, hence asked Voq to test the final version!

P

i've thought of a good question. why have you got one of those? do you know something we dont about a uk carrier??

Guest Paul [MVP]

It's OK, but definitely in the 'get used to it' category.

The ezitap software is awful, give me T9 any day!

One thing I would say, the audio quality makes me almost embarassed for the E200, it's that good!

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest fasteye

I have one of these Voqs too and have been using it instead of my E200 for a couple of days.

I have had numerous technical issues with the phone which include

Getting stuck in speakerphone mode

Screen going off and not coming back on despite keypad still being active (can hear clicks)

Performance issues - The device seems to go slow or freeze and then catch up after caching loads of key clicks - This is frustrating.

Device thinking it's connected to the mains when it is not (mains icon showing at top of screen)

Slow boot up time - Takes an age to boot up.

Keyboard marred by thick hinge which makes the keys nearest the hinge on the left side of the keyboard harder to operate.

Good points

Paul is right that the radio stack is fantastic. I can get a full Orange signal in an area where my E200, P800, Nokia 6600, Treo 600 all fail to get more than 1 bar.

In-built Movian VPN client - Hidden away under Data Connections but can be configured to allow limited access to corporate e-mail (IMAP) via your companies current VPN structure. Unfortunately mine requires a One-time password and I'm unable to generate a token unless I use my laptop but I've tested it works.

Keyboard pretty good once you get used to it - better spacing than Treo 600

MyVoq - You either love it or hate it and it takes some getting used to.

Activesync plugins to sync Notes and Global address list - It's limited to 20000 entries to sync, but being able to carry the Global address list for e-mailing or calling is very useful.

I'm currently still testing battery life but it seems consistent with the E200 when bluetooth is not used (2-3 days). That having been said I've been using GPRS a lot to test the VPN/E-mail solution (connecting every 30mins) so this may not represent the battery usage for everyone.

Guest Paul [MVP]
Activesync plugins to sync Notes and Global address list - It's limited to 20000 entries to sync, but being able to carry the Global address list for e-mailing or calling is very useful.

Where? I don't seem to have these!

With regards to your negatives, i've not experienced any of them yet (although the first bootup was very slow), and yes, the hinge is quite big, but I think the design is to do left side with left thumb, right side with right thumb, so shouldn't be an issue.

My key issue atm is the HORRID EziTap and yes, it does seem a little slow, but expect a working overclocker very soon ;-)

P

Guest fasteye

The Activesync plugins are on the CD which comes with it.

I've been using my left thumb but I guess my thumbs are big!

If you are missing the CD, I can probably upload the files somewhere. The plugins only seem to work with the VOQ and are ignored on other devices connecting to Activesync.

The GAL then appears in MyVoq when you search

Guest Paul [MVP]

Strange, I just had the CD that seems to include Outlook and that's about it.

I am also missing VoqMail, which is annoying...

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.