c500 rocks - and has a cool colour - thumbs up +++++++

Guest lutzh

Guest efission

heh, really is OT now.

I just find it amazing that there is somewhere in the UK which Starbucks hasn't reached, its quite refreshing really.

I'm about to start 2nd year of Law. Which dept u work 4?

I've been using GPRS on my Pocket PC via bluetooth for the past year and this seems to work quite well for limited browsing and email. I've been using the Orange Access Pack which seems to provide enough data for me (Think 10mb is their acceptable use limit).

Orange don't do the Access pack anymore do they? Is there anything that comes close to providing similar data rates for the same price. I've got to renew my contract at the end of the month and need a good data pack to take advantage of my C500.

Guest Colonel Trouble

I found out that glasgow (scotland my city) has just under 100 hotspots in public places such as starbucks and other shops etc :P

Guest MaximilianWeisheit

Get this one.

Hamburg, Germany - Whole City Center is WIFI.

Rated one of the best five cities in the world for wifi availabilty.

,-)

well, HTC is working now on successor to C500 that has VGA display and Wi-Fi support and also all new Pocket PC phones have Wi-Fi support.

Uhm... sorry, but... isn't that the description for a pocket PC phone edition? I mean, I'm waiting for a smartphone more like the E200 or the C500 - phone-looking. Small, and powerful... the E200 isn't that small, but, at least, it looks like a classic phone...

I like the C500 because it is discreet...

A better resolution (maybe should we wait until the release of Windows CE 5.0 for that) would be cool, also...

Guest blade001

Just been the local orange shop to play with the phone. And I have gotta tell you, IT'S BLOODY AMAZING. Noticebly fast compared with E200 and the SPV original (That's the only two MS SmartPhone I have owned, So I can not compare with anyothers then these 2 :P). As paul said hte keypad takes a little bit getting used to. Apart from that it's great. The camera was really smooth. Orange home screen plugin is not bad eitehr. Over all IT'S AMAZING. My local shop not going to have any in stock till end of next week, so I will have wait till then. But I think I will go in and check out the stores in birmingham next week. They should have it by then.

By the way, I have ony played with the black one, The sales assistant was saying, he thinks the black ones are the only one they more then likely to get. So I will have to be happy with the black one for the time being.

Guest londonlad

Dear Lutzh,

nice review, i dont know if this has been mentioned before, but could you confirm what profiles the C500 has got?

headset - yes

handsfree - ?

object push - ? whatever that is

Bluetooth HID (Human Interface Devices) - ? like SE K700i

Advanced Audio Distribution - just for the sake of formality

any other?

Guest squall
I found out that glasgow (scotland my city) has just under 100 hotspots in public places such as starbucks and other shops etc :P

i stayed in the corus hotel in glasgow for a few weeks with work, they had a wifi hotspot in the bar, very expensive unless you have a monthly biz tarriff. cost me £6 per hour :S.

also seeing it was in the bar i spent all my money on drink :'S

Guest mitsui

Hey lutz

Bevor ich mir dieses coole Phone kaufen möchte, habe ich noch ne frage….

Ich möchte immer sehen, ob ich eine SMS oder sonst was bekommen habe, d.h. ich möchte nicht, dass der Bildschirm auf Standby geht, sondern einfach, dass die Hintergrundbeleuchtung ausgeht.

Frist das viel Strom? Wie lange ist dann etwa die Standbyzeit?

Danke

hi mitsui,

you should post in english please - i'll translate your question here:

i always want to see if i got sms or a call so i don't want the screen to turn into screensaver mode - is that consuming much energy or what does it mean for stand by?

well at the moment there is NO WAY to disable the screensaver mode completely. the maximum time to keep the screen on is 60 minutes - i can't tell you if this is a bug or a feature nor if there will be a fix or a registry tweak for it.

i hope that helps...

cheers, lutz

Guest fultonius

Can you set-up e-mail on the c500, on an account that doesn't appear on the email setup wizard?

It is just a pop3 mailbox, which i would like to recieve/send e-mails from?

Cheers, ally.

Lutz:

I've only used the MPx200--a clamshell. With the c500, I assume there is an easy way to disable the keys to carry it in your pocket?

Can the c500 receive a voice call while in an active GPRS connectoin?

Guest LarsDK

1. How is sound quality of the speaker phone profile?

2. Can you still change words in the T9 engine using *,#,0 or do you have to use the joystick to change words? Cant remember which one it is on the SPV's since I am back to Nokia untill this one comes out.

3. How is the sound quality of the speaker when playing music?

Guest Phil Lee
1. How is sound quality of the speaker phone profile?

2. Can you still change words in the T9 engine using *,#,0 or do you have to use the joystick to change words? Cant remember which one it is on the SPV's since I am back to Nokia untill this one comes out.

3. How is the sound quality of the speaker when playing music?

1. The sound quality is excellent. It is much better than my old SPV.

2. You have to use the joystick to change words.

3. I haven't tried this.

Guest LarsDK

Thank you... Dont know if i like the feature of using the joystick to change words, however it will probably be a matter of getting used to. What is your feeling about this, does it work ok or is a problem? I tried a S/E T610 the other day when my SPV died a peacefull death and i really didnt like to use the joystick to change words, but all the other things about this phone really appeals to me.... I write a lot of SMS so it has to be in order for me to buy it. On the other hand, it is close to a disaster to go back to a Nokia 3310 after 2 years with a smartphone, not great at all... :/

Guest rubric
:-) here are the pictures. the more greeny looking ones are taken in the daylight/automatic mode and i've switched to night mode for the more brilliant ones. i've stayed in night mode after figuring out that this removes the green shine from it. all in all i have to say the pictures look good. i have nothing optimised on them except for web-optimised storing in photoshop...

I think out of all the camera phone photos I've seen posted on the net, this is the best. Of course, there are higher resolution ones, but the 'feel' of the C500s pictures are good, even/especially with the green tint.

Damn, I wish the C500 wasn't so ugly, because I really like what it does!

• 2 months later...