Bluetooth Headset for C500

Guest hamstar50

Guest hamstar50

Hi,

I know nothing about Blueooth headsets and what makes a good or bad one. Can someone shed some light on it and say what I should look our for feature wise etc. Also maybe recommend one or two. If it helps, on bit of a budget...student u see.

Guest Phil Lee

I'd be interested in opinions on good Bluetooth headsets too. I've just got my C500 as an upgrade from an original SPV and have no experience of Bluetooth at all.

Guest Dr Who

So pagemakers, you can initiate voice dialling from that headset without touching the phone? How is the call clarity? The range? Hasn't dropped any calls after 2 minutes like the E200?

Guest Pagemakers

You press a button on the earpiece and speak your contact name - My phone was on the passenger seat. The phone dials :)

Press the headset button again and the call is dropped.

It works perfectly every time. No dropped calls.

The quality is so good, the other party doesn't even know you are on hands free.

Guest inspectorgadjet

If your bluetooth headset supports handsfree mode, the c500 will play music through the headet. You just have to make sure the headset connects to the phone first.

On mine, I had to start the music playing, and then push the connect button on my headset.

BTW - Does anyone know how to disconnect the bluetooth headset from handsfree mode once it's connected without having to turn bluetooth off on the phone? If you stay connected to the headet in handsfree mode, every sound on the phone is transmitted to the headset and it chews up the headset battery quite quickly.

Guest Pagemakers
BTW - Does anyone know how to disconnect the bluetooth headset from handsfree mode once it's connected without having to turn bluetooth off on the phone? If you stay connected to the headet in handsfree mode, every sound on the phone is transmitted to the headset and it chews up the headset battery quite quickly.

On my iTech you just press a button on the headset to 1)voice dial 2) drop a connected call :) You NEVER need to touch your phone.

Guest Dr Who

I'm a bluetooth newb Inspectorgadjet, so what does handsfree mode actually mean? Surely all bluetooth headsets are handsfree? Which model are you using so I can have a look? And which model are you using cactusbob?

Guest inspectorgadjet

A lot of headsets support a headset profile and a handsfree profile.

Headset profile means the bluetooth headset functions as just that - a headset. You can usually answer calls with it, and start calls.

Handsfree profile goes a bit further. You can send all of the sounds from your phone to the headset. So music will play in it, and any other sound that would normally go through the phone's speaker. If your phone is connected to the headset in handsfree mode, this is usually indicated by a small 'headset' icon displayed on the phone. On the c500 this is next to the GPRS and Bluetooth icons.

The problem I find with the c500 is that once I have entered handsfree mode, I can't get it out of handsfree mode without switching the headset or the phone's bluetooth off. Pagemakers - in normal headset mode, yes it is fine answering and disconnecting the calls with the button, but I am talking about handsfree mode, so your post does not apply to the problem.

Guest inspectorgadjet

The headset I am currently using is the new Sony Ericsson HBH-600 Akono Headset.

I think Sony Ericsson have really done a good job on their headsets. I've never had a problem with them.

The HBH-600 has changeable colour covers, and definitely supports handsfree profile. It's great.

Also - these headsets retail at about £70 in shops, but I got mine for £35 incl. postage on eBay.

it says it supports "handsfree" in the specifications - can anyone confirm from expereince that you can listen to music from the c500 on the bluetake headset?

Guest inspectorgadjet

If you are referring to the i-phono stereo headphones. They will work with the phone and they won't.

You will NOT be able to get stereo music to your headset from the phone.

The i-phono uses a profile called Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) which allows it to send stereo music from the dongle to headphones.

BLUETAKE has produced the i-PHONO series products which are both simple and convenient to use. With its Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), the i-PHONO BT430 Bluetooth® Hi-Fi Audio Dongle enables your audio device to transfer the stereo audio signal cordlessly to the BLUETAKE i-PHONO BT420 Bluetooth® Hi-Fi Sports Headphone.
However, the i-phono does support both headset and handsfree profiles, so will work as a headset for your phone. In handsfree mode, it will play music in the earphones - but NOT in stereo. The headset and handsfree profiles were never intended for stereo music.

Besides the wireless stereo audio application, the i-PHONO BT420 Bluetooth® Hi-Fi Sports Headphone can be used for mobile hands-free communication with any mobile phone which supports either the Bluetooth® Headset or Hands-free profiles. Whilst enjoying music, you can receive or make a phone calls easily through the built-in foldable microphone and the embedded innovative “auto switching” technology. Once you have an incoming or outgoing phone call, you can hear the ring tone from the headphone, so you won't miss any phone calls even if you are steeped in your music with the headphones.

Overall the i-phono is probably a good idea if you want to listen to music from your cds or computer wirelessly, and have the functionality of a headset as well, but it is not ideal for stereo music from the c500.

Guest inspectorgadjet

Let me clear this up a bit...

The PHONE will NOT send stereo audio to a bluetooth headset. You can NOT use stereo audio over bluetooth on this headset. You have to use a wired headset for stereo audio.

Only devices that support the advanced audio profile will be able to send stereo to bluetooth earphones. Bluetooth earphones are still a fairly new concept and not very common.

I might be mistaken, but any bluetooth headset should support the voice dialling feature. I can confirm that my SonyEricsson HBH-600 definitely supports it.

Guest Dr Who

Cool, so I might as well go for a mono earpieced device. Like the imate mentioned above. Bit gutted I upgraded over the phone 'cos no cheap bluetooth earpiece offer like instore! Anyone know of any other cheap compatible bluetooth devices?

Guest inspectorgadjet

Look on eBay....there are some cheaply available bluetooth headsets there. I got my HBH-600 for £35 including delivery.

Also, I prefer to make sure the seller is located in the UK in case of problems with the item or other issues.

I do have a spare BlueTrek G2 headset which supports both headset and handsfree profiles which I might be willing to part with. It is one month and one week old. Got it in a deal with another phone, but prefer my Sony Ericsson. PM me if you're interested in buying it.

Guest rikwebb

Got my C500 yesterday, there is a new offer in store.

Upgrades are entitled to a iTech clip on BT headset for 9.99 :)

Seems to work just fine.

Rik