ActiveSync over Bluetooth - any clues?

Guest I. C. Monsters

Guest I. C. Monsters

I wasted a good couple of hours last night trying to get my C500 to sync over bluetooth. I purchased an Orange bluetooth dongle yesterday. The setup for this was a little tricky, but I did manage to get my PC and the C500 to recognise, and even trust each other. That seems to be all I can do.

I've enabled the bluetooth COM settings on the C500, and these are being reflected in the WinXP (SP2) bluetooth control panel. ActiveSync just won't recognise the damn phone! :x

Has anyone managed to get ActiveSync working over bluetooth? I'm not sure how much more time I want to spend going over the same few settings. :)

I. C. Monsters

Guest Paul [MVP]

Have you gone into ActiveSync on the phone and selected 'Connect via Bluetooth', and then selected 'Get Connected' on the PC? (ensure the serial port is enabled in ActiveSync 'connection settings' on the PC)

P

Hi there.

I did exactly the same thing as you it seems, bought a bt dongle and spent three hours trying to get async to work over bt.

Finally got there in the end, I didnt realise there was settings in accesories to set the bt coms up on the phone.

I basically got the PC and phone to talk to eachother, enabled the bt coms on phone, checked the COM port number in XP (SP2 aswell) it was showing as 6, changed the async connection settings to COM 6, then initiated bt async on the phone under the menu select 'connect via bluetooth'.

Eventually it worked for me, with a lot of halp from Paul_MVP.

I can only suggest to keep trying mate, I was about to take my dongle back and give up.

Good Luck.

Guest I. C. Monsters

I tried that, and received an error message saying something about ensuring the device was bonded with another device that supports bluetooth COM. I can't remember the message exactly I'm afraid.

I. C. Monsters

EDIT:

Whoops, a bit too quick on the reply there. I'll have another go tonight, following your advice. I'll let y'all know.

Cheers.

Guest legalbeagle

I am having problems.

I am trying to set up a partnership with my laptop through its built in bluetooth software. My computer has

My Audio Gateway

My Bluetooth Serial Port (port 4)

My Dial Up Networking

My Network Access

My PIM transfer

My fax

My File Transfer

My PIM Synchronisation

The laptop detects the following services on my C500:

My Dial Up Networking

My Serial Port (port 6)

Both devices are set to discoverable. My C500 won't let me change its serial port number, nor will my laptop.

I can connect my laptop to my phone by clcking on c500/My Serial Port(port 6) from my phone, which establishes a connection through "virtual port 7".

My phone will find my laptop as a device, but there is no option to choose any particular service that my laptop provides: just connect to laptop. This doesn't do anything (my laptop does not report a connection) unless I set up the laptop as a new device, in which case it appears to bond.

So it looks like I can bond my devices from my laptop. Activesync on my computer will not pick up the phone as being properly connected. Activsync on the C500 says that I must bond with a computer that supports a serial or Activesync profile.

My computer has a serial profile, but not one that my phone seems to want to recognise, and a PIM Synchronisation profile, which I think should be very similar or the same as an Activsync profile, but these never show any activity.

I am getting a bit cross at the wasted time trying to set this up. Anyone have any suggestions?

Guest zuffzuff

Legalbeagle,

Saving the same problem. I can connect from my laptop to the phone on the serial link - on comm9. However, Activesync can't find the device on comm 9. I can bond to the phone no problem, and go out over dial up networking, so the two can see eack other ok.

On the C500, my BT serial port setup has the option for inward and outward comm ports (port 7). Any idea what that does - does it need to be selected as well?

Cant really help out anymore than I have already, I had to setup the BT Port settings in the Accessories menu, I also had communication setup between both the PC and the phone (both ways) prior to trying async.

I am using the dongle software as far as I can tell (Belkin USB Dongle), although it doesnt let me see any devices through "My Bluetooth Places" shortcut on the desktop, it still works when I try to sync with async via the phone.

On a side note, my c500 is being sent back today because it wont get past the second boot screen, a courier is coming out tomorrow with a replacement. I simply cant beleive there is NO hard reset on the c500's - that seems crazy to me, imagine all the replacements O are gonna get.

Good luck guys, it took me over 3 hours, and then some additional help from Paul_MVP - but I assure you it can be done.

Guest zuffzuff

After a lot of playing, I seem to have got it working. Here is what worked for me - C500 and Thinkpad laptop running XP Pro.

On C500.

1/ Make sure phone is discoverable.

2/ In BT Serial Port Setup , select "Inward" comm port. I don't have the "Outward" selected.

On the laptop.

1/ In BT "Advanced Configuration"

"Discovery" tab

"look for other bluetooth devices" - selected

"Local Service"

This is where I have my Bluetooth Serial port set up. Initially, I had it set up in "Client Applications. The serial port properties are "Secure Connection" selected and "Startup Automatically". My comm port is 6.

"Client Applications"

This is where I originally added the BT serial port. I don't have one here.

2/ In Explorer -> Entire Bluetooth Neighborhood I can see my SPV. In the Properties for the device, in Authorization, I have have "Bluetooth Serial Port" selected.

In ActiveSync.

I have connection settings set with serial port com6.

To Sync.

1/ Turn on BT on the C500.

2/ Do a "Discover Available Services" from the laptop for the C500. Don't know why I have to do this - just seem to have to.

3/ From the C500->ActiveSync, select "Connect Via Bluetooth".

For me, the above works and I can sync. I think where I was going wrong was in the setting up of the BT serial port. I had it under Client Applications and not Local Services.

Guest supermoocow

OK I had a few problems getting bluetooth working on c500 (hmmm p800 a lot easier for this).

I've paired and synced many phones and pda's however c500 was perplexing me....

I even tried above walk through, no success...

Then tried this guide http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2643

It worked!

The thing I was doing wrong was when running the c500's bluetooth activesync setup I did not click the done key for each stage of the pairing right the way back untill I got to activesync again.

I had already tried pairing and setting up serial ports, if you don't try to be clever it does in fact just work!

So follow the above guide link and make sure you click all the done options (dooh! yeh I know).

Hope this helps!

Guest RazorD

Here's my guide, using all the microsoft built in stuff!

I did it using inno3d's wavelink, windows xp serivce pack 2's bluetooth integration, and the usual activesync!

Firstly, as the bluetooth wasnt installed before, i just plugged it in to usb, and let it install automatically, using all the microsoft enumerators etc, then turn on bluetooth on the phone, and be discoverable.. double click the lil' bluetooth icon in the system tray, and click add device, let is search for the phone and connect using the obvious way, do the whole passkey thing and once disconnect the phone will be paired.

Then, go to COM Ports in the bluetooth settings on the pc, click add, choose incoming and it will automatically assign the a port to it.

Next, you can go into Activesync setup and choose that COM Port from the ones available, then go into activesync on the phone and click connect via bluetooth, and it should work!

Did for me, at least. Good luck!

Guest cyrilthefish

just spent a hour or so fiddling with the bluetooth settings and i eventually cracked it :)

(XP SP2 and the USB bluetooth adapter from the orange shop)

1. delete all existing pairings and so on on both devices if you've been fiddling with stuff

2. in the XP bluetooth thingy in the system tray add an incoming serial port (VERY IMPORTANT: this must be done before your pair up the devices)

3. add an outgoing port on the C500

4. pair devices

5. set the correct serial port in activesync on the pc

6. select connect via bluetooth from activesync on the C500

it seems to work as long as you set up the serial ports before you pair the devices 8)

Guest Snoopstah

Has anyone figured out how to disconnect without switching the phone off/going out of range? I can connect over bluetooth fine, but then it stays connected to my PC all the time, which must be killing the phone battery (as the bluetooth link is permanently transferring data).

Any ideas?

Guest t3dluke

Heres how for people not on SP2 or like me dont use the inbuilt bluetooth due to lack of features. My example uses the widcomm drivers. Go into my bluetooth places and open the my bluetooth services link. Double click the serial connection one and it will open a properties window, note the serial port it shows. Then open active sync and open connection settings, from the drop down list choose the same serial port as you noted before. Make sure the phone is bonded to the PC then restart both devices. Now open activesync on the phone and choose connect via bluetooth. It should then connect! Please note you need a standard cable conection with activesync setup first although you'll have probably alreadydone this. My only gripe is like the E200 i can't see a way to disconnect!

Guest blueflash

I'm having a similar problem but all I want to do is explore and exchange files with ipaq 4150. did this with moto v500 so easy phone showed file exchange service.

but c500 only shows bt port number, how do you connect to this port to send/recieve files

thanks

Guest SeaneyC

Errr, if you want to disconnect, can't you just turn the bluetooth back off again? Hold down the home key and select bluetooth from there and it will turn off. Or is there something else i'm missing?

Guest Dr Who

SeaneyC is right to disconnect just turn off bluetooth on the phone. I managed to get the service running yesterday after a bit of fiddling. My problem was that having configured it according to the instructions given in the E200 section I still could not connect. I found that the port that was assigned in the local services tab was not the one that was used for communicaton, it was the one in the application control tab (or vice versa, can't remember at the mo. Basically the opposite one to the one in the instructions). However I only found this out because having bonded the phones I ran something in activesync that scanned ALL the available COM ports on my laptop until it found one it could connect on. I would suggest to anyone having problems that you do this - it says it is only scanning USB and IR COM ports but connected as soon as it reached the bluetooth port. SO my advice would be bond your phone, open the serial port in My Bluetooth Places and then run Activesync on the Laptop/Desktop and find the feature that examines all open ports and voila, a connection.

Hope that helps someone.

Peace

Who