ActiveSync over Bluetooth - any clues?

Guest I. C. Monsters

was going to recommend - http://geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=2643, however it looks like the BT serial ports not being installed correctly... try installing a few other ports in the local services.... also the microsoft stack doesnt support serial port configurations.

Anyway reinstall your BT software and check in PC hardware profiles how many BT serial ports are installed and where, if nothing is progressing it may be an idea to get that dongle exchanged

rgds

jim

Guest Confucious

When it has installed the port go and change it for a lower number. Provided you know the port is not "In Use" then you can safely ignore all the warnings and it will work.

Good luck :)

Guest richard_hogg

I can't remember the actual posts on the forum, but there's a good number og posts on getting Bluetooth dongles working on the GSM forums (forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=237).

Mostly they discuss getting the WIDCOMM drivers to work with your dongle under SP2.. I followed the instructions for the v4.xxxx drivers and it worked straight away.

To get round the disconnect issue without having to turn it off on the phone, just go into the bluetooth settings on the PC and tell it to disconnect the serial port connection.

Guest Confucious

Well, dave, we can't recognise your device either as you haven't told us! Or your OS come to that. A bit more info wouldn't go amiss.

Under devices do you have a BT Modem?

Guest revolution.cx

This is the situation I wound up in after about 10-12 hours of messing with my BT connection.

I'd just like to add that it's entirely possible that you will never get it working.

Unless I see evidence otherwise my position is that the Microsoft Desktop for Bluetooth dongle (the one that comes with the keyboard/mouse combo) with XP2 (the only real drivers for it anyway) and an SMT5600 DO NOT work together.

The closest you can come is having ActiveSync start the sync process and then refuse to go any further becuase it "cannot recognize this device".

I have read many many threads and tried it all, used Active Sync 3.7 and 3.8, rebooted endlessly.

It just doesn't work.

My problem is that Activesync starts connecting over bluetooth but then i get a message up saying device not recognised

Any Ideas?

Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Confucious
Yeah i do it says on Comm 13 and my serial connection is on Comm 6, if so how do you change it?

Dave

The answer can be found in my reply here.

revolution.cx - it may nopt be as easy as it could be but if you read the guide in this lnk then you should be able to get it working.

Edited by Confucious

This is the situation that I'm in.

I have Activesync working OK over bluetooth, I'm running XP SP2 with MS bluetooth drivers connecting to C500.

When I boot my machine and Activesync starts it attempts to find my device, this fails with an error saying cannot connect to device. It then restets the com port to com1. If I try to sync from the phone now it fails.

If I now change the com port in Activesync back to com7 (incoming bluetooth com port) and start a sync from the phone all is great and everything syncs.

If I move away from the laptop and loose connectivity and on my return sync from the phone again all is still fine.

It seems to me that when Activesync starts it attempt to find my device, fails and gives up.

Is there anyway of getting Activesync to just sit there and wait for me to sync from the phone.

I've search and search for an answer for this, its becomming a real pain to keep having to reset the com port in activesync.

Dan

I've installed Activesync 3.8 on my laptop to sync mail etc, without the WCESCOMM.EXE service running the phone will not sync.

The problem is when WCESCOMM.EXE loads up after a reboot it tries to connect to the com port specified, as the phone is not connected, I've tried setting the phone to connect via bluetooth at this point, it fails and errors saying it cannot recognize this device. I assume it is looking at com1 standard serial port.

I click OK and then go into connection settings, set the com port back to com7 and set the phone to connect over bluetooth and all is fine.

Guest David5093

Link seems to be broken

Dave

revolution.cx - it may nopt be as easy as it could be but if you read the guide in this lnk then you should be able to get it working.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest David5093

Not a problem

right i found this bit

A problem lots of people face is where the incoming port on the PC is allocated a port number > 9 as ActiveSync will not recognise it. To change it Under Control Pannel -> Phone and Modem Options-> Modem select "Standard Modem over BlueTooth link", click properties->Advanced tab click " Advanced Port Settings" select the drop down box for Port number. In here you will see a list of ports lots of which might have (In Use) by them. Select a port (btween 3 and 9) that you know is NOT in use (even if it says it is) and click through all the warnings that your PC might explode and cause world war 3 if you do so. When you have done this turn BT OFF on the phone and restart the PC. When the PC has restarted turn BT back ON on the phone and all should work.

Ok thats fair enough, i have both a bluetooth modem attacked to Com 13 and a standard modem over bluetooth link that is registered as not present, due to it not being present i cannot ammend the properties

Any ideas?

Dave

Fixed my link - sorry about that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest revolution.cx

OMFG! =D> =D>

I followed the PDF guide and it worked. Make this a FAQ link ASAP.

I was so waiting for this not to work like every other step by step guide and helpful forum thread.

The one thing that is different is selecting bluetooth as the connection type in the phones activesync setup. Seems obvious enough but I never saw it as an option or never checked at the right time.

Confucious: check your PM for your complimentary prize!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest rob5600

When I set the ActiveSync advanced options to BT, I lose the ability to use my USB cable. I haven't seen anything but praise for this program. Is it possible I'm the only one that is happening to? :cry:

Guest Confucious

Most people don't need to set BT as the transfer method, it will work with USB selected in the majority of cases in which case either BT or USB can be used. If BT is selected as I said in the post in the link:

One other thing - In ActiveSync->Menu->Options->PC_Settings->Menu->Advanced the connection type can be left at USB and the phone will use either USB or BT. If it is set to Bluetooth (which it has to be for your excellent utility) then the USB connection does not work for activeSync.

You know, everytime I connect activesync over BT I get a different 'routine'. For instance, when I first set it up I would activate activesync from the phone and the green ball of joy would start whirling and it worked perfectly. A while ago when I synced I kept getting errors (cannot connect) and had to turn off activesync in task manager on the PC, restart it and then sync. A few weeks ago I again got error messages (cannot connect) and had to connect the serial port from my PC before syncing. Today when I tried to connect my PC showed accept new connection icon and my phone asked if I wanted to add my PC to my list of devices (despite the fact it already existed), connected and then synced. Nothing has changed on either the phone or the PC.

To be brutally honest the implementation of activesync over BT is a complete joke. I am still using activesync 3.7.1, 'cos it works, does 3.8 improve matters? I can imagine it doesn't.

Guest David5093

Ok the connection type is set to USB, dont have Bluetooth as specified in the PDF

Dave

On your phone the right softkey s/be menu - press this

Option 1 s/be Options

Option 2 s/be PC Settings

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest Confucious

Dr Who The only time I get "cannot connect" is when BT is off on my phone. Do you reboot your PC (I very rarely do) if so make sure BT is turned OFF on the phone when the PC starts up. 3.8 does fix some bugs and at least one operson has fount it to cure all his activesync blues. I would recommend installing it.

Dave - have you got a connection between your phone ad the PC before changing this? This should be the last thing you do as for most people it will work set to USB only if all eklse fails do you NEED to change it to BT and the connection should already have been made.

HTH

Had some success with my issue of activesync searching for a device and failing everytime I boot my laptop, i.e. Cannot connect

It seems that in the registry on my laptop in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\SerialPort the value was set to COM1, where as in the same location in HKLM it was set to the correct port COM6. When I changed COM1 to COM6 all worked fine, Activesync would load and sit there waiting for me to start the sync from my phone.

Here's hoping that this has solved my little problem. :D

Dr. Who, it may be worth checking this on your machine, not sure if this is the same problem you are getting.

Just done a few reboots and all is still ok, no need to turn bluetooth off on the phone either, just boot the laptop wait for the little gray activesync icon and tell the phone to connect via bluetooth

Edited by dh