c500 won't sync

Guest diablous

Guest pete1312

Similar problems!

I can sync from PC to E200 but it just creates duplicate entries on E200 which then creates conflicts using Fonix Voice Dial.

If I re-set ActiveSync to try to sync from E200 back to Outlook 2002 it disconnects after 1 to 4 Contacts.

I have my "master" Contacts on E200 (over 300 of them).

All those 300+ got wiped from Outlook 2002 several months ago and I gave up trying to re-sync them months ago! Every time I tried, it just deleted all my Outlook Contacts & I had to start from scratch again, manually re-adding them!"

PS: Can a Moderator perhaps merge this thread with the other one which is very current??

Guest Dr Who

OK, so this is what this mornings investigations have revealed.

I should say I am using a standalone 2000 machine (no internet connection!) and there is NO firewall on the machine. There are also no emails in Outlook (2002), there is one header on my phone in my inbox, and I have no tasks or calendar items on either my phone or in Outlook.

I uninstalled Activesync 3.7.1

I ran 'detect and repair' on Outlook 2002 to reset it

I installed 3.6

Digger is right and 3.6 won't synchronize with the C500

I installed 3.7.1 over the top of 3.6

On first sync I selected 'resolve by changing my device' which wiped all the contacts on my phone (obviously, as there are no contacts in Outlook, d'oh - thank goodness for Orange restore!). However all 4 items said they were synchronized.

I changed the tab to 'leave items unresolved', reran activesync and it shows all my contacts as unresolved. In a way I find this a bit annoying 'cos since there are NO contacts in Outlook I feel it should just add all my contacts to Outlook - it's not like there is a conflict between 2 items saying "Steve" or anything.

So I am now going to set it to resolve items on my PC and I know what is going to happen - it will hang. Which makes me think the problem is the importing of data into Outlook. Have no clue why and little hope that I will figure it out. Just FYI 'my location' in Outlook is set to 020 and unsuprisingly I am in the United Kingdon (+44). I have looked all through Outlook and the results I have posted in a thread in 'Main'. I think I may start a poll as to how many people can actually completely sync all Outlook items for the E200 and C500.

Peace

Who?

Guest Dr Who

*PROGRESS UPDATE*

OK, this has been driving me mad so I have spent most of the morning investigating.

Firstly I deleted all but two of my contacts (which both coincidentally had the number formate 07XXXXXXXXX) and then connected and hey presto, activesync worked and transferred both numbers to outlook!

So I used Orange Restore to return all of my numbers and deleted out everything with a +44 07XXXXXXXXX or +447XXXXXXXX number, which left me with 20 numbers. I connected and this time I got a 20 items unresolved message. Except they aren't unresolved as activesync defines them (i.e. a number that has been changed on both my device AND the computer) they are simply 20 numbers that need to be added to my Outlook contacts file. I found that if I tried to manually add a contact to my phone with the 07XXXXXXXXX type, then resync then activesync would hang on 1/21. I tried changing the number format to +447 and +44 7 but is still hung on 1/21. If I deleted it I got 20 unresolved items. In fact the resolution was set to change numbers on my computer but it never resolved them (i.e. never added them to Outlook). If I edited any of my 20 numbers to the +447 or +44 7 numbers then I would still get the unresolved number problem. I tried adding a contact when connected to activesync but it caused a fault in WSCEMGR.exe (or something like that) and killed activesync. When I restarted activesync I noticed that the resolution tab had been reset to 'Leave Unresolved' and I had 20 unresolved numbers still. When I set the tab to resolve items on computer and tried to resync and got the unresolved items message I noticed that the resolve items on server tab was no longer greyed out and had resolve items on server (or device - can't remember) selected. Changing this tab made no difference.

Sooooo, what does it all mean. Well, activesync doesn't work with more than 2 numbers. I am going to test the limits now. But it seems strange to me that when you set activesync to resolve items on computer it then sets the resolve items for servers. I also think it is not doing what it is meant to, in that an unresolved number is meant to be a conflict between the device and the computer databases, which I don't have because my Outlook database is empty. COmmunicaton FROM Outlook to the phone seems to work - just NOT from the phone to Outlook. What the hell is going on here????

Guest diablous

it seems if you connect a older SPV it buggers up the settings in 3.7.1 as in removes some feature, so DONT CONNECT IT

all i can say is uninstall activsync, restart, install 3.7.1.

restart,

open outlook

connect phone

wait,

it works fine for me now.

windows XP & Longhorn

Office XP & Office 2003

activsync 3.7.1

Guest Dr Who

Well I have tried absolutely bloody EVERYTHING! Only time that I got ANY contacts to sync was when I had uninstalled 3.7.1, installed 3.6 and reinstalled 3.7.1 and synched for the first time. This was when I had only 2 contacts. I am now going to try uninstalling again, reinstalling and see what happens. Last roll of the dice for me, I'm afraid!

Guest Dr Who

Done the uninstall/reinstall method with poweroffs inbetween with no luck. Instead of hanging I now get this constant unresolved items problem - which I suspect is what is happening when it hangs but it doesn't tell you. I have no idea why it is recording them as unresolved items - there are no conflicts with data on the PC 'cos there IS no data on the PC. Interestingly enough I had the problem transfer to Inbox when I had a couple of emails sat in my Inbox. The problem is definitely in getting the data back onto the PC. If I have any data on my phone to sync to Outlook then it fails. I have no idea why Digger managed to transfer his calendar items once and why I managed to sync 2 contacts once. Bizarre. I have tried the 3.6/3.7.1 combo a couple of times and it only worked the first time when I had 2 contacts. Considering in my situation I had a clean install (for the first time!) of Outlook and clean install (for the first time!) of activesync when I started then I can only think the problem is fairly fundamental. I changed NONE of the settings the first time I ran it. Since I have transferred data I am guessing it is not a data format problem but a communication problem. Anyone fancy contacting microsoft over this?

If anyone manages to figure this out please tell me.

Guest Dr Who

Have now also tried phone on the PC that was giving me problems with my E200 last week. And it came up with the 80-odd unresolved items again. This makes me think that there is perhaps a file on my phone causing the problem that is placed there during setting up a partnership. It is annoying me that when I click resolve the phone just resyncs rather than opening a dialogue box to decide how to resolve the problem. What the **** is going on?

Guest Dr Who

You're going to like this chaps - I think I know what the problem is!!!!

So I reinstalled 3.7.1 and cleared storage on the C500 and lo and behold the 17 contacts that come preinstalled on the C500 synched perfectly. However once I used the Orange backup service to restore my contacts, guess what? Yup, only 1/84 would show and it would hang. SO my feeling is that Orange restore is dropping a file that is incompatible with 3.7.1, either the contacts database itself or another file. Can all you chaps having problems confirm that you have used Orange restore at some point? I am guessing that because you have a lot of calendar entries Digger and Phil has a lot of contacts that you probably will have used the service at some point? So this problem is not going to affect new Smartphone users (no contacts to backup) or the hardcore users (who all use Sprite or something like it to back up their contacts, or anyone who has all their contacts in Outlook already). Does this strike a chord with anyone?

If anyone feels like confirming this then just move all your contacts in Outlook to a safe folder so that it is empty, backup using Orange backup and then reset your phone. Sync it - it should work. Orange restore - it should fail. Reset your phone, move your contacts in Outlook back into the proper folder and then sync. Should work.

If this is the case, who do I contact in Orange to inform them???

Guest pete1312

I've used Orange Backup/Restore in the past. I'm not going to play around any more though until someone finds a definitive cause & cure.

In the meantime, I'm sticking to Sprite Backup!

Guest digger

Looks like we have a common theme running here. I used Orange Restore to get the calender and my contacts (but I don't sync my contacts) from my Orig SPV to my C500.

Well done Dr Who!!

Guest Dr Who

Convinced this is the problem now. Have just spent the last hour entering my contacts manually into Outlook, Cleared Storage on the phone and then deleted old partnership on 3.7.1. Connected the freshly started phone and voila, all the contacts transferred both ways. Perfect. Considering I have spent the best part of 8 hours figuring this out I think an hours typing was time well spent. I'll be contacting Orange, then.

Guest rikwebb

Yep,

I used O backup and restore too

THIS IS ONLY BECAUSE THE CONTACTS WIZARD DIDNT WORK.

Orange tell me it only works with Nokia phones, good one Orange.

Two phones simular make and model, with nearly the same OS dont work and Nokia does..............

Anyone know of a good util to get the contacts out of the phone, cos I deleted the Outlook ones trying to fix the problem (well I did have them all backed up to Orange!!). :cry:

Rik

Guest rhaleuk

I can add another tally to those having trouble with Orange backup and active sync. i have used orange backup since the first spv, but have only ever had a problem with the C500. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Dr Who

rhaluek, did you have an E200 as well? I don't remember this problem existing on my E100 but I recently (and briefly) had an E200 which I restored my contacts back to with Orange backup, which would then not sync. Don't know whether it is a Smartphone 2003 problem or maybe a ROM problem?

rikwebb, I was stumped by this as well. I would have thought if you can find the contacts file of the phone (I had no idea where or what the extension would be) then you may be able to open in a good text editor, like ultraedit or maybe ghostview. From there you could probably cut and paste into Outlook. Long job, though. If somebody is bored I am sure that they could write a little app to convert the phone contacts database into a .csv file or something which can be imported into Outlook in one go. Please? Pretty please? It's probably of no consolation but Contacts Wiz works REALLY well from a Nokia.

Maybe some free-thinker can think of a way of getting the data back into Outlook - all I could think of was typing them in. As an aside if Orange could 'paste' the backup data into their Sync ML service and you have access to an old Nokia you could sync ML onto it and then Contacts Wiz onto your freshly restored phone and then activesync? Actually, maybe the best way is to go to an Orange shop and use their Orange backup service to store all your contacts, reset the phone and then have them restore them, then activesync. Might not help Calendar items, Tasks or Inbox though.

Well I have to say I felt pretty good yesterday after figuring this out. Then I realised how much time I burnt on it. Grrrrrr. :-(

• 4 weeks later...

On my wifes computer these problems are there but on my laptop not , the only thing that is not the same is the usb on my wifes computer its a usb 1 on the laptop its a usb 2 connector could that be the problem (i use a external dvd recorder which runs full speed without a problem on my laptop on my wifes computer half speed and sometimes does not work )

could the usb be the problem :roll: :roll: :roll:

That is extremely odd, peekie! Does that mean that the USB1 control in Activesync is worse than the USB2 control? Have you used Orange Restore at any point? I did think it might have been something to do with the USB but can it be justified in relation to Orange Restore being the other contraindication? I never did get round to trying it via Bluetooth.

Nope, cant be that.... did think it might be...

Laptop - USB1

PC - USB2

Works on neither......

So, used a tool from coolsmartphone, made a backup of the contacts, cleared storage, restored from tool, and blow me, it worked.

Tool is SPStudio.

Rik

• 2 months later...
Guest pete1312
Has anybody found a sucessful workaround for this problem yet please?

Certainly not me. I keep my Contacts unticked on Active Sync now - otherwise it deletes all my numerous manually re-entered Contacts from Outlook on my PC, and creates numerous (partial) duplicate Contact entries on my phone. It's a total pain!

Also it's the only way I can get AS to maintain a connection to enable me to Explore etc.

I'm convinced Orange Backup/Restore is the cause of the problem.

I now only use Sprite Backup.

If anyone can resolve this issue, it would be much appreciated.