Dust on the screen

Guest mcolbeck

Guest Blakey

Blimey! I'm starting to feel glad I never upgraded for £250! My little (well, large really) E200 is dust free, working like a charm, with extended battery and no SD card lock ups. I think I'll keep it...

Blakey

Guest SirGaz

Just noticed a few specs of dusk at the edge of the screen near the volume buttons. I blew into the volume buttons and more dust appears under screen. So that's definately where mine is getting in!

Guest dshaugney

Why oh why didn't HTC put a protective membrane around the screen? This is a major flaw, other wise the phone would have been perfect. Most phones (even since the days of Siemens sl45) have a foam memebrane around the perimiter of the screen to protect from dust getting in. I can see a special screwdriver (t6 it's called I think) is needed to open up the phone and even then I don't want to break the warranty seal.

Poop!

Guest dshaugney

In fact what's HTC's email or contact number? I can't seem to access htc.com.tw. I would like to ask them if they have any good ideas how to prevent the dust from getting in.

I was just thinking, if you add some PVA glue to the volume and camera button seams (not too much) and let it dry; it will settle into a transparrent rubbery substance. Hopefully allowing you to press the keys (as it's rubbery) and not letting any dust in. I'm not brave enough to try....any takers? ideas?

Guest Phil Lee

Just got off the phone from OCS again. They are now saying that at the moment it is a cosmetic fault. They say that if it affects the operation of the phone then it would be replaced as a screen fault. At the moment they are monitoring the situation with regards to the handset but because it is so new they haven't decided whether it is a design fault or not. She said that her supervisor was in contact with the phone manufacturers to ascertain whether there was a problem. She rightly said that if there is a design fault it will be costing Orange money if they have to replace numerous handsets.

The operator suggested a number of options to me.

The first was that I return the handset and cancel the upgrade then monitor the situation to see if there is a design fault with the phone. Depending on developments I could then consider upgrading to the same handset again if the problem is rectified.

The second was to take the handset to an Orange store who would confirm that there was a dust build up under the screen. The insurance department would then consider replacing the handset.

The third option was for Orange to put a credit on my account to buy a suitable case for the phone. I pointed out that there were no suitable cases on the market yet and that all the cases I'd seen had holes where the volume buttons are which is where the dust seems to be getting in.

In the end I asked her to note my additional reporting of dust build up inside the phone within 7 days of the upgrade. I agreed to monitor the situation with regards to the build up of dust within the handset and to think about the options she had presented.

I am totally torn at the moment. I love this phone, it is perfect, it does exactrly what I want from a phone except that it lets dust in. I really don't know what to do. As the operator rightly said, if there is a design fault, sending a replacement handset won't make any difference to the situation.

Guest VicSmurf

At the moment i have no dust under the cover but I have dead pixels in my display! :) Do some of you have that same problem and can I return it for a new one?

Guest dshaugney

Phill if they are under warranty and are defective in this way then surely HTC would repair this fault under their obligation. I'll give them a call and see what they say. I hope they can do something about it if they accept it for repair to prevent further dust getting in.

Guest Phil Lee

Last night I stuck a PDA screen protector on my phone. It has two benefits. One it protects the screen from scratches and two, it means that for some reason I can no longer see the tiny dust particles any more. Having slept on it, this phone is too good to give up because of some tiny dust particles. I'll keep it for the moment and see how things go in the next few weeks.

Guest Dectomax

I don't understand this. I haven't got any dust at all yet. If i look at the volume button it's almost a perfect fit in the hole for the case. Closer inspection shows a small flange around the outside of the button that fits against the inside of the button hole, so that when the button is released after adjusting the volume, the flange seals against the case of the phone. I'd be amazed if even the smallest anount of dust could get in that way. :?:

Also, quick inspection with my maglite shows that the speaker hole and earpeice both seem to have a black mesh over them. Where could it be getting in ?

Guest Phil Lee

If I look closely on my phone, I can see a tiny amount of light leakage from the signal LED through the top of the volume rocker. I believe this is where dust has got in on my phone.

Guest mjheathcote

Having had the original SPV, which was troublesome, including dust build up, followed by my current e100 which has been perfect for the last 12 months or so, I am glad that I have not been able to source a new C500 on the high street to upgrade.

I felt like a beta tester for the original SPV, I don't want to be a beta tester for the new C500!!!

Mike.

Guest Dectomax
If I look closely on my phone, I can see a tiny amount of light leakage from the signal LED through the top of the volume rocker. I believe this is where dust has got in on my phone.

I've just checked mine, not the slightest bit of light leakage either from the volume rocker or the onoff switch. I wonder if this is a build problem. Maybe some handsets have a seal left out or things are out of line abit. Maybe if somebody (i'm not brave enough) dismantled one we'd be able to tell.

Guest Phil Lee

Looking at my phone, there is no gap by the camera button but there is a definite gap by the volume rocker. It does look like there may be a build problem.

Guest unclelimey

ok, i just called orange and they said that if they get a lot of complaints then they will sort this problem out, so... if you are having this problem, then let orange know... maybe paul could contact orange himself about this..

Guest bosshogg
Looking at my phone, there is no gap by the camera button but there is a definite gap by the volume rocker. It does look like there may be a build problem.

On mine today I have dust:

- At the top of the screen just to the left of the battery meter (this is where the majority of the dust is)

- At the top left of the screen, by the volume rocker

- Bottom left, just above the start button

- one lonely little particle, bottom right

- and one big particle, right slap bang in the the centre of the screen :x

I've been with orange since the Motorola MR1(remember that? :) ) and the SPV1 and C500 are the only phones that I've had this problem with...

EDIT: added link to MR1 for the old timers out there!

Guest smason5

Any change the title of this thread could be changed to include the word dust ? Looking at other threads it would seem that many people are not aware that this thread exists.

Secondly, has anyone yet looked at taking the cover off?

I have an i-bead mp3 player thing with exactly the same problem.

I can get rid of the dust by taking the cover off. Granted, it's not ideal but maybe at least a workaround.

Stuart

Guest dshaugney

Looking at the phone there is a visible gap between the volume key and the black cover. that is where most of my dust gets in from. also a small gap near the camera button where the rest of the dust gets in. i love this phone, but this is a major draw back.

"I can't recommend this to my friends with THIS stuck in the back of my mouth." comes to mind. he he he

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest simonbratt99

Call me a crazy old fool if you like but......

if the dust got in there, how about putting a hover nozzel to where the dust gets in? eh? eh?....not just a pretty face :-k

Let me know if the insides end up in the hover bag

Simon.

Guest kingronnie
If i look at the volume button it's almost a perfect fit in the hole for the case. Closer inspection shows a small flange around the outside of the button that fits against the inside of the button hole, so that when the button is released after adjusting the volume, the flange seals against the case of the phone. I'd be amazed if even the smallest amount of dust could get in that way. :?:

I've looked at mine and there is no sign of a seal, just a gap. Does this mean that there are two different batches floating around?

Guest simonbratt99

how about anyone posting some real close up macro pics of the gaps or non gaps where dust is getting in, then we can compare to see if some are built differently than others.