spvD2X[v0.2a]

Guest roozbeh

Guest roozbeh

Hi there

This is the port of Descent II to smartphones!

Please fully read the included readme.txt for informations and how to install game.

WARNING

As this game uses a lots of memory you might end up in your phone being SOFT RESETED.

This somethimes happens especially if you have opened inbox.exe or other similar programs and then running this game.

In any way i am not responsible for those kinds of damages and also dont have any solution how you can retrive you r lost datas.so please dont bother me and yourself asking.

SO RUN THIS GAME AT YOUR OWN RISK.

This game reseted my phones more than 20 times but without losing any datas,only being reseted.

But as i told, you might end up in soft reset,as i experinced this with some other games before.

This game is currently in its very early release date and i only distributed it becouse i suspended this project for more than 3 month.I justed wanted to share it with you.

you can download shareware datas from

http://www.icculus.org/d2x/data/d2shar10.tar.gz

you must set keyboard configurations in game to do anything!!

use dos game for seeing how controls are and how you can changes them!

the game speed is very bad at my imate 1 phone but may be better in other models!

Game also uses lots of free memory so i you need alot to make game work.

you can use -nosound -lowmem for making it work with standard phone memory!

i think game will work without them on e200 or better models but dont think so about e100s.

regards

roozbeh

spvD2X.rar

Guest dreamweavel

Nice one Roozbeh :wink:

The link you posted for the shareware version seems to be dead, i've found the same filename at this location - is it the same one?

Gotta dash back to work - gonna try it tonight.

Thanks again Rooz!

works nicely on my MPX200(WM2003), not 100% perfect speed wise, and it did cut out when I had a few other ships on screen (without the -nosound -lowmem parameters)... but it seems a good start! Tricky to play thou!

Guest ultimasnake

will have to test it with the shareware since i can't seem to install my full version on xp :'( but you will get a reaction from me soon roozbeh on how it works :)

Guest dreamweavel

Doen't work on my C500 :)

Memory usage for this phone never gets below about 52% even with IA caller id removed from startup - i wonder if this may be part of the prob.

You get the circle processing widget for a mo then nothing :? i.e. no "loading" screen etc. It doesn't lock up/crash, it just pretends there was nothing to do and goes back to the menu :shock:

Guess I'll have to wait for Rooz to get his hands on a C500 :wink:

Guest schriss

as far as I know C500 has GAPI broken, and regarding free memory, not sure what you mean by "52%". How many MB of Program Memory do you have free on your phone? 10? 15? 20?

Guest dreamweavel

Its got 21.68Mb RAM - i'm pretty sure thats the same as the E200. it must just use more system resources.

Re the GAPI issue Rooz's ports of Doom and Duke work fine (ignoring the joystick multipress prob) so unless he's changed his approach i thought it might have worked. I guess only he can answer that

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest dreamweavel

Using switches with smart explorer always worked on my E200 but whenever i try the Run command with the switches (either and both) on the C500 explorer says it can't find the app. I've even tried editing the switches into a shortcut to the prog but get the same result :-s

I've tried restarting my phone couple of times too in case its running shortcuts from memory rather than the newly edited ones but keep getting the same result - weird. Maybe there's a difference in the way C500s want to deal with launching apps with parameters...

Guest schriss

I usually create shortcut, then I edit it to add switches. What I remember is that it NEEDS to have full path to exe in the shortcut, not just name.exe.

Guest dreamweavel

Cheers Schris, think i'll start again from scratch.

My last stab at getting it to work was a shortcut containing 47#"Storage CardProgram FilesspvD2XspvD2X.exe -nosound -lowmem"

I've also tried putting the switch outside the quotes for a laugh with predictable results!

I've been editing the shortcut on my phone using NotBad.exe so might try proper notepad on my pc 2nite to see if it makes any diff :-s

If I've stuffed up the shortcut perhaps you could let us know...

Guest schriss

create shortcut with Windows Explorer via Active Sync. Copy shortcut to your PC. Run Notepad.exe, File-Open, all files and open that shortcut. Add -nosound outside the quotes , copy back to the phone. It works!!!

Guest schriss

Oh my god!! On Mio8390 it's playable with sound!!! Roozbeh rulez :P

Of course there are slowdowns but not that bad :)

Too bad there is no fps counter.

Guest dreamweavel

Thanks again Schriss - the shortcut definitley works now :) but I'm back to the original problem of the program never actually starting up; just thinks about it for a while and then pretends it was never asked to do anything :shock: I've tried -nosound on its own, -lowmem on its own and both. Must be a C500 thing. Oh well, I've learnt a bit more about shortcuts anyway :P

Never mind - back to SPVDuke for now :?

Guest schriss

probably C500 thing... there is a thread about C500, GAPI, and what to do to make it work, but unfortunately there is nothing you can do, it is up to developer to implement the workaround PocketTV Team came up with.

There is one insane thing you could try :) It is to install Picard's GAPI2GDI wrapper and see if it works (I'm not sure if it is dedicated to Mio8390 or universal and would work on every phone). But even if it does work, then you would probably discover a new counter: frames per minute :P

Guest dreamweavel

Funny you should suggest that - I've just been looking at the thread you've got in your signature and was thinking exactly the same ;-)

I'll give it a whirl and let yer know how it goes

Guest _Drake_

ok runs on the mpx200 i get about 10-15 fps (i gues) with sound (and it's sounds great on the mpx very clear and no breakups of any kind )

and it's quit playable

but after a while it just quit's to the homescreen without any kind of error message (demo version)

why skip descent 1 and move directly to 2 btw, sind's 1 is less heavy than 2 why not port the original descent 1

Guest The PocketTV Team
There is one insane thing you could try  :)  It is to install Picard's GAPI2GDI wrapper and see if it works (I'm not sure if it is dedicated to Mio8390 or universal and would work on every phone). But even if it does work, then you would probably discover a new counter: frames per minute  :P

I would think GAPI2GDI would work on any phone, since it merely implements the GAPI API using GDI, and nothing in there is device dependent.... assuming Picard did a good job, as he usually does.

But this will not always work, since GAPI2GDI must implement GAPI using the DRAM buffer mode, and a number of games assume (incorrectly) that GAPI never uses DRAM buffer, and only work when GAPI uses direct frame buffer. So all those games would not work with GAPI2GDI.

The ones that do work will be slower.

Guest dreamweavel

The link to the GAPI fix cab, exe etc in the GAPI fix thread don't seem to work so I downloaded GAPI Solution - Signing Pack.zip (thanx Schriss), followed the tutorial and applied the certificate - still no joy :cry: The spinny "i'm thinking about it" icon appeared for a mo then disappeared again...

Just for a grin i applied the certificate to Boxy Pocket too which definitely behaves very oddly on the C500 - GAPI prob almost certainly (flickering, lockups etc) and got the message "Error Access denied. The program cannot start because it is not digitally signed with a trusted certificate".

This is really weird cos I've used the OTA certificate bypass on the orange site and it definitely appeared to work - got the "Your phone has been security dissabled" message etc :?

Looks like the C500 really does seem pretty different to the previous SPV incarnations - or maybe I've just got a duff one :roll:

Guest The PocketTV Team

Yes, I can never access http://www.topcat.hu either, this server is down most of the times.

Looks like the C500 really does seem pretty different to the previous SPV incarnations - or maybe I've just got a duff one  :roll:

It's possible that it does things differently, since it is running the new Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, based on WinCE 4.21. This is internally quite different from the old Smartphone 2003 OS, even if it looks about the same.