GPRS dropping off when idle=never

Guest chucky.egg

Guest chucky.egg

My c500 keeps dropping gprs connections when surfing, even when the idle disconnect is set to never.

its not a huge problem, but does anyone else get this and is there a fix?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest ferret

Every SPV does this, and you can argue both ways if this is what they are meant to do, or if it's a bug.

Only way of stopping it is to set to the next greater value.

Guest beersoft

the reason it does it is: idle timeout at t'other end

if you where sending 1 byte of data every x minuites it wouldn't cut off, but that would cost

later

Owen

"wearing his isp pants to answer that question"

Guest rubric

well, whether it's a bug or feature also depends on what they put the messenger in the phone for. a messenger isn't very useful if it keeps getting disconnected if you ask me. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Simon Desser
well, whether it's a bug or feature also depends on what they put the messenger in the phone for. a messenger isn't very useful if it keeps getting disconnected if you ask me. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Here, here :)

And it's only Orange ROMS that do this, Imate ROMS on other SPVs don't disconnect a soon as a page is loaded, they do what I believe is correct when set to "None" - They stay connected :P

Guest chucky.egg
the reason it does it is: idle timeout at t'other end

if you where sending 1 byte of data every x minuites it wouldn't cut off, but that would cost 

That doesn't make sense, my P900 stays connected all day once the intial connection is made, even when it's not transmitting.

That's the whole point about GPRS being "always on"

I'll try a high setting for the time out and see if that fixes it

Thanks for the tips guys

Guest chucky.egg

Oh, FFS!

The maximum idle timeout is 10 minutes

The minimum email check interval is 15 minutes

MSN disconnects as soon as a call is in progress

It's not a huge problem, but it's bloody typical that there isn't a combination of built-in settings you can use to do it!

Is there a "keep alive" utility around?

Guest chucky.egg

This actually works!

But... (you knew there was one coming didn't you!) when I attach the phone to the PC it switches off GPRS again

That's a really small issue (for me at least) on a minor irritant

Guest dreamweavel

Its prob trying to use a passthrough connection i guess. I've never noticed this cos I've got a permanent net connection so want it to disconnect GPRS :)

Half way better anyway :-s

Guest legalbeagle

I recall from reading about GPRS standards three or four years ago that there were several standards for GPRS receivers: depending on the standard used, the GPRS either could or could not be used at the same time as GSM calls were being made. It was suggested even then that it would be unlikely that mobile phones would use the resource intensive dual on standard. It seems likely that GPRS cannot be maintained while a phone call is being made for hardware reasons. Though it might be possible for someone to write a program that turned GPRS back on once a call has ended.

• 1 month later...
Guest chucky.egg

copy the CAB file to your phone and run it

If you have an E200 i think it has a file manager built in (?) so you can copy the file anywhere you like in the phone or memory card, and then just open it ON the phone

If you dont have a file manager copy the file to IPSMWindowsStart Menu and it will appear in the menu on the phone, and you can run it from there.

Once installed open the program and set the options you want

Guest rizzles

if you have shell config installed on your phone and the run when connection is available option on msn ticked then as soon as you hang up from a call gprs is started straight up

Guest chucky.egg

Yes, that's right about the GPRS, but MSN does not sign you back in.

You have to go back to MSN and sign back in manually otherwise you are "offline"

Guest Confucious
sorry im still kinda retarded when it comes to my spv e200, how do i install the always on files?

Try posting in the E200 forum rather than the C500 forum. I'm sure the advice you get here will be correct but the majority of E200 owners won't be looking here ^_^

Guest rizzles

I have a C500 too.. if i have orange smartease shell config thingy and the box ticked in msn as soon as i hang up from a call and open msn it is already signing in for me!!