WIFI on the C500

Guest Sotian

I know its probably not gonna happen, but I really want Wifi for my C500. I love surfing using my ipaq 4150 (which recently died), and would love the same on this phone. I have a wireless network at home. To use my phone using bluetooth, I need to have my pc on, defeating the purpsose of quickly checking my email/surfing to a web page quickly for a nosey for free. Plus my living room is out of range of bluetooth, but well within range for wifi.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1) It might be possible to have a wifi sd card inside the phone, with a thin ribbin cable wrapped around the battery as an antenna. Although not sure if the core technology could be squeezed in the space.

2) What about a bluetooth device that takes the wifi and retransmits using blutooth. Anyone heard of such a device? This would be cool, and could be used for future phones/devices.

3) A Wifi adapter for the usb connector on the phone. The pc can stream the internet through this cable, surely wifi could be piped in the same way.

Let me know what you think.

Jon.

Guest spark-x

Sounds good... i too would love WIFI on my phone - but it would have to have some memory built in as well.. and thats a lot to fit into such a small space!!

sx

Guest jimbouk

I currently find Bluetooth fine. I have a linksys WAP in my study which my laptop uses to access internet, I then use bluetooth to sync with my laptop and hey presto have pass through internet connection.

It is only a matter of time before wifi sd cards and windows mobile end up talking - they both exist and even though the phone networks will hate it (cos of lost data revenue) they will have to either give in or else someone will come up with a fix anyway!

you can get Bluetooth access points, which connect directly tou your home network, and hence if connected, the internet..

The problem lies in if the C500 supports the correct profiles, I have a really crap cheapo BT access point I bought of Ebay.. which was so flaky with my PDA.. but it might give an indication if it would work..

If not jim's method sounds good.. although I suspect the range is somewhat limited? based on my previous experience with using BT for this purpose..

Yeah, I have a bluetooth dongle on my pc, but its not convenient, I might as well just use the pc to surf the web, and the distance using Bluetooth is poor compared to my Wifi router.

If a solution can be found, it will definitely sell well

Jon

I'm highly doubtful there's going to be any form of a mini-SD WiFi card. Motorola gave up on it completely. Sandisk (as of now) says they can't do it and don't plan on doing it.

I'm just curious if the new smartphones are using mini-SD *BECAUSE* there is an SD WiFi card out there on the verge of working. The carriers know that WiFi is a potential revenue stealer and I'm sure they don't want it. If you think that Motorola or HTC or any of the other Smartphone makers didn't talk to the carriers before making the phones, you're crazy.

I would think that the only chance for WiFi with any cell phone is a Bluetooth-based WiFi card. I don't think there is one and it really doesn't make sense to make one (other than the fact cell phones all have bluetooth and none have WiFi).

I dunno. I'd like to see mini-SD WiFi. I really want it for my future MPx220. I just don't think it's going to ever happen.

-Mc

>the USB connection on your phone isn't capable of using devices. It merely is a serial connection to the PC via the USB port.

This is true, but if a usb based wifi device could mimic the behaviour of a pc connected to the usb port, surely the phone wouldn't know any difference. Although it's probably the only hope of getting Wifi on the C500, the manufacturer would be restricting their market (how many other smart phones use this type of connector?) of such a device, so it's doubtful it would ever be made.

Guest maxh2003
I'm just curious if the new smartphones are using mini-SD *BECAUSE* there is an SD WiFi card out there on the verge of working. The carriers know that WiFi is a potential revenue stealer and I'm sure they don't want it.
- that would also explain why they put the slot under the battery on the C500 - one, to mask out the signal as much as possible, and two, and ensure that over-sized cards can't be used. After all, they didn't put the SD slot under the battery to keep dust out... :-O

2) What about a bluetooth device that takes the wifi and retransmits using blutooth. Anyone heard of such a device? This would be cool, and could be used for future phones/devices.

How about a device which connects to your wired Ethernet network, and provides a bluetooth access point? I hadn't heard of such a thing until ten minutes ago but some creative Googling brought back these links... anyone feel like speculating on whether this would work? I wonder if the software on our Smartphoens is up to the job of connecting to a bluetooth network and either hitting the internet directly, or through activesync.

allegedly-rubbish example of such a piece of kit, made by Belkin -> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...001710?v=glance

From http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/bluetooth.htm :

3) You can purchase a BT access point (there are several reviewed here). BT access points work just like WiFi access points, broadcasting a wireless Internet connection to PDAs and computers equipped with BT. Access points typically have higher range, which means you can be ~50 feet away from the access point or even more depending on walls in your environment
the USB connection on your phone isn't capable of using devices

Is that true of the C500 as well? I had hoped that (like the Toshiba E800 PDA, but not my iPaq4150) it was a USB master, not slave, and thus would one day be able to read USB hard drives, iPods and the such. How great would it be to use your iPod as 10 - 40Gb of storage for Smartphone stuff? Another missed opportunity, I suppose...

>How about a device which connects to your wired Ethernet network, and provides a bluetooth access point?

This would be perfect for me.

I tried to connect my c500 to the internet via bluetooth to my Ipaq 4150 over Wifi (before I stood on it doh), but couldn't figure it out. This defeats the purpose, as I might as well surf on my Ipaq, but if this worked, then there would be hope via a bluetooth access point.

I'm not 100% sure, but think that the c500 only seems to allow surfing when connected via ActiveSync. Whats needed is some software/ a driver to allow the phone to connect directly via bluetooth to the internet. Anyone know anything about such a thing? I guess its just a case of connecting a bluetooth serial pipe to the c500 internet connection. Are there any developers out there with knowledge of such things?

Has anyone manged to surf the internet via bluetooth (either on pc or via a bluetooth access point) without using activesync?

Thanks,

Jon

My whole reason for wanting WiFi is because my office has it. My home has it. My favorite lunchtime restaurant has it. There's a ton of free hotspots around town. The only way to take advantage of all that is either a mini-SD wifi card or some BT based WiFi card.

But if you just want to set something up at home to browse your network or WiFi, you can buy a BT access point but the range is REAL limited. I may pick one up to play with and post the results (I've never actually seen one in person though... anyone?).

-Mc

I dug out my rather naff Bluetooth Access Point last night to try..

I just plugged it into my network, which has my ADSL router on it as well.

It uses the LAN -> PPP profile, and I successfully got my HP2210 PDA to connect to the LAN via the access point, and was able to see all my PC's and surf the web directly through the router..

However, I can pair with the device from the C500, but it appears there is no support for using the LAN->PPP profile the access point uses.. looking at all the internet connections etc, this is just not an option....

As for the SDIO wifi idea's, this just isn't going to be possible, the Wifi SD cards are quite large due to the need for an antenna section to the card.. how would this fit into the C500 case??

what we need is a Bluetooth to WLAN portable access point, and the phone to support some LAN access point profile..

Guest jimbouk

my setup (using BT to laptop - which uses wifi to connect to my wifi access point with broadband) is not really great for surfing (as per above posts I could be using the laptop) but its great when active sync'd and vpn'd to my mail server at work - so emails come straight to the phone and buzz me!

Its also great for msn messenger on the phone when sat watching tv or something.

• 4 months later...
Guest d3viou5

Ribbon cable idea is a good one. I have seen them for similar devices......i think someone did a mod for the N-Gage like that to allow you to use SD instead of MMC.

A mini SD with a ribbon to a full size SD would allow you to use larger.....cheaper SD cards, and wifi sd cards, assuming that someone wrote some drivers.

You'd have to be sure as well that the mini SD card slot on the c500 is a SDIO equivalent, cos i'm sure wifi SD cards only work in SDIO sockets. It might also require some case modding.

Too much effort for me.....but a good idea nevertheless.

• 1 month later...
Guest kamilsey

Hey guys

Just a thought

The C500 has a mini usb port, you can get adapters to change that to a standard usb port then u need a USB WiFi Dongle. Thats the hardware taken care of all there is to worry about then is the software. Dont know if the SPV is compatable but someone should be able to port the software over.

The C500 has a mini usb port, you can get adapters to change that to a standard usb port then u need a USB WiFi Dongle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

as has already been mentioned, the usb controller on the c500 isnt capable of acting as a host to usb devices. It is only capable of acting as a device to another host (such as your computer).

Guest Alex_le_brit
as has already been mentioned, the usb controller on the c500 isnt capable of acting as a host to usb devices. It is only capable of acting as a device to another host (such as your computer).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know I'm in the Typhoon section, but does anyone know if the usb controller on the original SPV and the E200 are able to do this? Wouldn't the original SPV be able to act as a host seing as the camera and keyboard plug in the bottom?

• 3 months later...