Realese Date (sort of) for the Mpx220 at Best Buy

Guest eight_tracks

Guest eight_tracks

I managed to squeeze a little info out of a Cingular rep at the Best Buy I work at. The Mpx 220 will be released in "about a month, early October at the latest", so you will be able to pick them up at any Best Buy soon.

The more interesting thing I discovered was that the Mpx220 will be one of Cingulars phones that will be shipped completely unlocked. No more paying to get it to work on any network, just slide in the SIM and go.

I'm gonna keep checking and try to get more exact info tomorrow, price, in-stock date, how many each store will be getting, ect. I'll try to keep you updated.

The date's good news. But the real news here is that it is completely unlocked. I hate to question people :wink: but I'm curious where this info got leaked from. I spoke to a couple engineers at Cingular and none of them had any info on that. In fact, some of the sales reps I spoke to didn't have a clue what I was talking about! "SIM Unlocked... what's that?"

-Mc

Guest eight_tracks

normally I don't trust much the reps say either, but this guy really knows his stuff, he said that right now there are 3 phones that Cingular sells that are unlocked, he listed them but I was really only paying attention to the Mpx info. He said that he couldn't wait because even though he work for cingular, he uses T-Mobile and is waiting to get his Mpx220 and he had been doing quite a bit of research with other people at Cingular.

I guess the only way to tell for sure is to try it. As soon as they come off the truck my T-Mobile SIM card is going into one to test it out.

Guest grossygrossy

This from MSMobiles.com:

The MPx220 will be the first of the two models to be release on September 27, 2004, while the MPx release date is set for November 30, 2004. Yes, this release date conflicts with Phone Scoop’s recent report that the MPx may be delayed until the first quarter of 2005. However, we’re extremely confident that our information is accurate. We’ve also confirmed that T-Mobile will not be carrying either device.

Both models will be release on AT&T wireless network, followed by Cingular in January. Europe/Asia can expect to get the 900/1800/1900 version of MPx on October 30, 2004. The subsidized price for the MPx will be $550 to $600 USD. Expect the subsidized price of the MPx220 to be $299. Corporate users will have the option of buying a camereless version of the MPx220. The devices are locked to AT&T with the option of paying full price for an unlocked version.

Well, to be honest, I wasn't even thinking about it being unlocked. I assumed it would be locked. Either way, I'm still getting one! If it's unlocked, that's even better!! Sounds like this guy knows his stuff. Let's hope he's right.

Thanks again for the info...

-Mc

Guest bryankia

I have been lurking this board for the last 2 months.

I just called T-mobile to find out when my phones contract expires so I can switch services. After about 20 minuets explaining my situation they offered me two months free to stay with them to offset the cost of purchasing an unlocked phone from another provider. They also assured me there would be no problem setting it up to use there system.

Just thought I would let you guys know.

Bryan

PS I am in the US

Guest grossygrossy

You don't need to switch services. I use T-mobile now and I have the MPX200. With an unlocked phone, you can use it with any service. However, you will not have the customer support from your service provider...of course.