TOM TOM Mobile released for the Smartphone

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]

I have been fortunate enough to help beta test TOM TOM and I can announce that it has now been released :)/

I apologise that I did not post about it yesterday but I have been unfortunately busy at work :lol:

I can say this application ROCKS and has been invaluble to me when I went on holiday last month, I actually found it more accurite than my friends ppc version which I borrowed to run alongside :lol:

Expect a review with screen shots very soon so keep watching,

Here is the official Press Release.

Smarten up on the road with TomTom MOBILE

~TomTom launches its complete in-car navigation solution for smartphones~  

Amsterdam, 15 September 2004 UK – TomTom, Europe’s leading personal and in-car navigation solution provider, today announces the availability of its easy to use in-car navigation system for advanced mobile phones. TomTom MOBILE is the perfect tool for smartphone users and busy professionals on the move, who demand simple technology to navigate from A to B, safely and without stress.  

TomTom MOBILE features TomTom’s award-winning plug and play car navigation software pre-installed onto a memory card, making it simple to set up and start navigating[2]. The pre-installed memory card means that users do not have to download any complicated software, making the product simple to use and understand. Unlike other navigation systems, TomTom MOBILE does not require a GPRS connection to calculate routes and download maps. Everything is stored on the memory card, allowing routes to be calculated and re-calculated at any time, without worrying about the users’ phone bill.  

TomTom MOBILE’s clear turn-by-turn voice instructions mean that the driver never needs to worry about taking their eyes off the road[3]. By allowing drivers to plan and check their route before they get in the car, it minimises the need to touch the phone to enter information whilst driving. If a driver makes a wrong turn, an automatic re-routing feature will quickly and safely redirect them back onto the right road.  

“TomTom MOBILE is another great addition to the TomTom in-car navigation portfolio, allowing more choice for the demanding modern driver to navigate from A to B.” said Harold Goddijn, TomTom’s chief executive officer. “TomTom MOBILE is the product of years of experience in developing software and hardware for in-car navigation, making TomTom MOBILE quite simply an excellent product to use. This is yet another step forward for TomTom, whose aim is to make leading-edge car navigation solutions available to a wide consumer audience through different platforms and devices.”  

Later on this year TomTom MOBILE users will be able to subscribe to receive real-time traffic alerts straight to their smartphone. TomTom Traffic offers an on-screen, bird’s eye view of any incidents or general traffic jams on route, and can automatically find alternative routes to minimise delays. This helps the driver to complete the journey in the quickest and easiest time possible.  

Users are able to receive phone calls while continuing to get visual route instructions from TomTom MOBILE. This ensures the driver is constantly informed of the route throughout the journey, even while using a mobile phone. The in-car navigation system works by using a Bluetooth-enabled GPS receiver (the smallest and lightest on the market) which connects automatically and wirelessly to the smartphone in the car. There is no need for wires allowing greater portability and convenience for using the mobile phone both inside and outside of the car.  

Other features include 3D mapping and night and day settings, which help drivers to clearly visualise the route they are taking. Customisable Points of Interest (POI), allows drivers to programme their own points of interest or information, such as hotels, museums and petrol stations. Together with street number coverage, which allows for full door-to-door navigation, this all adds up to an impeccable navigation experience with TomTom MOBILE.  

TomTom MOBILE supports popular smartphones, such as the Nokia 6600, Orange SPV E200 and Qtek 8080 and is totally portable and exchangeable between all compatible smartphones.  

TomTom MOBILE is currently available from The Carphone Warehouse, Dixons, PC World and www.tomtom.com. This value for money product is available for a one off payment of £199 (€299), for the stand alone solution. This complete in-car navigation pack includes a 128 MB MultiMediaCard, Bluetooth GPS Receiver (NMEA 0183 v 2.2), in-car charger cable for GPS receiver and a quick start poster and CD. TomTom MOBILE is available from most popular high street stores.  

About TomTom  

TomTom BV is a global provider of personal navigation solutions for mobile people.  

TomTom provides innovative, easy to use navigation products built on world leading hardware and software platforms.  

TomTom BV was founded in 1991 in Amsterdam and has offices in The Netherlands, United Kingdom and USA. The company’s products are sold through a distribution network of top retailers in more than 15 countries.  

To learn more about TomTom, visit: www.tomtom.com

Guest awarner [MVP]

I forgot to mention at the moment it does not work on the C500

due to a Bluetooth problem but they are working on it.

I'll let you all know when the fix is released :)

Guest www.msmobiles.com
It is for sale and a few members here have already bought it

from TomTom's resellers.

care to mention some links where people can buy it? saying "it's there" but not saying where is not very useful.

Guest www.msmobiles.com
Don't know why I'm even bothering to help you with your arsey attitude but these say they have it in stock:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/4261.htm

it's not about "arsey attitude" of mine but about desire to provide helpful and specific information to readers and not just general "it's somewhere".

Pity it's not compatible with C500 though, I will stick with Mapopolis for a while therefore...

That'll be a thanks then yes?

Don't forget to update your "helpful and specific" homepage leader today from:

"TomTom Mobile for Microsoft Smartphone - almost available, but not quite yet - GPS navigation software" to:

"TomTom Mobile for Microsoft Smartphone - NOW available - GPS navigation software" and replace:

"but still it's not available for purchase ...." with:

"is now available for purchase ...."!

And if anyone can solve the problem of grabbing screenshots from TT Mobile then I'd be a very happy man.

Our review is ready to go to press but we can't get any screen grabs, SmartSS, MS Remote Display, Pocket Controller Professional all fail :) .

Guest the_ugly_north

Good to see that it will be available for C-500 soon. So it seems a straight choice between TOMTOM, Co-Pilot and Mapopolis. If so-pilot get there traffic information system up and running as advertised (integrated into co-pilot) then it seems the better choice.

Has anyone any experience of using TOMTOM and Co-Pilot (for a comparison)?

Guest Croccy22
And if anyone can solve the problem of grabbing screenshots from TT Mobile then I'd be a very happy man.

Our review is ready to go to press but we can't get any screen grabs, SmartSS, MS Remote Display, Pocket Controller Professional all fail :lol: .

If you have an E200 then you will have problems with this possibly. I found that with the e200 it was impossible to do any screen grabs from applications that used gapi. instead it would just take a grab of the atuall desktop running underneath the application.

If this is not what you mean then appologies :)

Matt

Croccy22

Guest Croccy22

Does ayone know if this supports thrid party bluetooth gps devices. and will they be selling a software only sollution?

Matt

Croccy22

PS.

And another thing. I know it only supports e200 at the momnet because of a bt problem. But isn't there also a problem with the fact that the c500 doesn't take mmc cards? How big is the whole program coz i gues us c500 owners would have to copy it across onto our own minisd cards for it to work? does it allow you to do this?

It's a difficult choice between TomTom and CoPilot, TomTom has it's excellent custom POI support so you can get alerts for our Safety Camera database, CoPilot's display is better optimised for the smaller screen (and runs on a C500). TomTom will be releasing Traffic support later as will CoPilot (it's not available in either release at present).

Does ayone know if this supports thrid party bluetooth gps devices. and will they be selling a software only sollution?

Matt

Croccy22

Looking in the registry reveals information on many different GPS receiver types so this would suggest that it will at a later date support others GPS receivers. The pre-release copy we tested was locked to TT BT, the release version may not be the same but we are yet to receive our release copy.

We have no information on the availability of this bundle as a software only package but I would be surprised if it were not available as software only at some stage.

If you have an E200 then you will have problems with this possibly. I found that with the e200 it was impossible to do any screen grabs from applications that used gapi. instead it would just take a grab of the atuall desktop running underneath the application.

If this is not what you mean then appologies :)

Matt

Croccy22

That is exactly what is happening, there must be a way around this though, TomTom have screenshots (we can't grab them off the 6600 version either :lol: ) but they may be using an emulator running on a PC perhaps?

Guest Croccy22

I have been trying for ages to find a way around this but really couldn't come up with anything. I wanted to be able to take some screenshots of some games i am working on.

The only thing i could suggest is maybe run it up on either an e100 or a c500. Even if the bt doesn't work you may still be able to grab screenies?

Matt

Croccy22

Guest www.msmobiles.com

Our review is ready to go to press but we can't get any screen grabs, SmartSS, MS Remote Display, Pocket Controller Professional all fail :) .

I had the same problem with other programs for MS Smartphone. Unfortuantely the only solution is to take digital camera and take photos of the display to grab screens...

Guest beersoft

Not with any current handsets no.

yes you can, i know because i have done it, i have had my E200 talking to my GPS and also to my BTheadset without problems, and i have had it syncing over bt and used the headset at the same time

later

Owen