Keypad backlight

Guest smason5

Hi,

Last night I noticed that my keypad lights were not coming on every time that they should. I was in a dark room and was navigating lots of menus trying to remember how to assign a photo id. They keypad did light up ok, however it would then go off and not come back on for a while despite me pressing many buttons. I couldn't work out what made the lights come on or what it was that made them go off again.

I've just tried it under my desk and the lights come on as expected so I don't know what was going wrong last night.

Any ideas?

Stuart

Guest zippy172

The light sensor settings control whether or not the keypad lights come on.. .and to be fair, regardless of what setting you have, the inability for the keypad lights to stay on for more than something like 5 seconds after they do come on, is really really really really getting on my mammaries !!!

Surely someone clueful enough can hack together a lil installable app that overrides the OS settings so the lights actually STAY ON for an appreciable length of time ??

Guest midnight

strange how no-one has ever complained about any other ms smartphone only having the keypad lights on for 5 seconds before, it really doesnt bother me, surely all phones are similar to this

Guest ivor biggun

if it was to work for 5 seconds everytime a key was pressed it would be fine but my keypad lights up very rarely no matter what setting the light sensor is on, only had the phone a day but never had a backlight problem with the mpx or E200?

EDIT: Just read through the bug list again, other people have found that as soon as you change the light sensor settings the keypad back light packs up, any ideas??? :?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest ivor biggun

Yeah, tried soft resetting with both setting's and still no light, might have to be a replacement handset needed! I've haven't seen the backlight since yesterday morning :)

Guest bradmatejo
strange how no-one has ever complained about any other ms smartphone only having the keypad lights on for 5 seconds before

My mpx200 keys would only stay on for a few seconds, so short that if I paused keying a number they would go off. Bothersome while driving at night, esp since the mpx keys are so flat. There's a registry entry that will lengthen the time the lights stay on. There's also one that will lengthen the system's timeout (where it goes "to sleep" when left alone, requiring you to press a key to "wake it up" before it'll accept input). However, for the life of me I can't remember which reg keys they were. And since I've now got it how I like it I don't want to go messing with the rgistry to figure out which ones they were. I CAN say I'm pretty sure they were called Timeout (or something Timeout) and were under HKeyLocalMachine. This is bound to be a little different on C500 due to the addition of the light sensor, but you might find something...

Guest midnight

regedit what? the keypad led timeout? good luck finding that one, i looked for that with the original SPV, the setting aint there, there is however a settings for light sensor on and off, but thats just the same as turning the sensor on and off in settings (which as i said, works fine for me) which is in HKCUControlPanelBacklightLightDetectOn

Ok, same problem here.

Did O say this was a problem they knew about?, and that a new phone would not have the problem?.

Just asking - cos its a pain in the arse setting your phone up again, but this is bugging me. :x

Rik

Guest zippy172
regedit what? the keypad led timeout? good luck finding that one, i looked for that with the original SPV, the setting aint there, there is however a settings for light sensor on and off, but thats just the same as turning the sensor on and off in settings (which as i said, works fine for me) which is in HKCUControlPanelBacklightLightDetectOn

True... I spent about 1/2 an hour yesterday running up and down the registry looking for keys that might be of use, found these:

HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetControlPowerTimeouts

HKLMCurrentUserControlPanelBacklight->values:ACTimeout | BatteryTimeout | LightDetectON

However, none of the above had any meaningful numbers that equated to a time short enough for the keypad light duration :|

Might be a soldering iron job to rewire the keypad led's to the lcd backlight...which would be absolutely perfect for me...

Ok, same problem here.

Did O say this was a problem they knew about?, and that a new phone would not have the problem?.

Just asking - cos its a pain in the arse setting your phone up again, but this is bugging me.  :x 

Rik

Had my C500 2 weeks and find the the 5 sec key light up timer is reset every time I press a key therefore if I'm pressing keys they remain lit until a 5 sec delay occures. If your phone doesn't do the same it must be U/S, get onto O about it..

The keypad lights only ever come on when its pitch black !, and I do mean pitch black.

Even when light sensor is turned off!!!

I will give O a ring and tell them its pooped.

Rik

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rhysdean

Hi, im a bit stuck with the keypad backlight on my c500, the fact is i've never seen it at all, light sensor set on or off, could this be a problem with the hardware or is it software, should i be on to O, please help many thanks

Edit:Have done a hard reset, and has solved the problem. would advise people who get this phone to hard reset out of the box to make sure it runs smooth, appart from this hic-up great phone (upgrade from e200) exspecially the size, tiny.

Guest mwille

Are you SURE a hard reset will solve this ?? My keypad lights worked fine for about a day, after that they went on "once in a while" (whenever they felt like it, regardless of the setting I used for the light sensor) and now they NEVER EVER come on...

I don't mind a hard reset but if it will deal with this but having to go through all my tweaks and program installs again just to find out there is no result would kinda piss me off :)

Guest mwille

Riiight... Impatient as I am I hard reset the device.. :oops:

Geuss what : No change ! My Keypad will simply not light anymore ! no matter what I do.. Hardware problem after all ??? :shock:

Guest mwille

Scratch that... Seems it just needed a kickstart.. Decided to switch the phone on once more, this time in the pitch black bedroom like Rikwebb said a few posts up. And waddaya know ^_^ The keypag lit up again..

Still strange though

Guest barrybryce

Sort of on the subject. If the keypad is locked, the lights don't come on until you have entered the password. Is this a fault or design?

If it's design it's a stupid one - it's a bit hard putting the password in in the dark!

Guest olly_k
phrozenpenguin wrote: 

Physically which bit is the light sensor? 

The little dot under the 'o' key !! - we think! 

I think it extends to a good 3rd of the lower keypad and maybe a bit more... The keys have a light diffusing layer below to spread light evenly and it would seem the sensor spot is part of this same diffuser. (part of kepad) I did wander if the display light, under certain circumstances (if light leaked through to keypad) could be enough to fool the sensor into thinking the ambient light was at a level enough to knock the light off????