c500 vs. SDA - the battle of the giants :-)

Guest lutzh

Lutz,

How much did you pay for the gps reciever and where did you get the maps for the smartphone?

Are these available for English roads? ( I noticed your phone says you are in Munich)

Do you find that te battery on the C500 with bluetooth switched on lasts the length of a long jouney?

Cheers

hi fozza,

the syson gps is around 160 euro in germany. you can use mapopolis (mapopolis.com) as application, they are also selling the maps for entire europe and the northern american countries. the application i am running there is called mobile navigator and is not yet released.

regarding bluetooth and the c500 it is pretty simple: no need to disable it anymore, it makes no noticable difference if you have bluetooth on or off, so it will be ok to go on a loooooong journey (from italy to the oktoberfest in munich and back without trouble).

cheers, lutz

Guest MaximilianWeisheit

Lutz.

Thanks for the awesome pics.

I am not worried about the size difference anymore. - Besides cant really notice the 4 mm difference in thickness. :)

Cant wait untill I get my hands on the SDA!

Awesome!

Thanks again Lutz,

Max

Thickness.jpg

THATS NOT TRUE - don't let them cheat you, the DON'T have stock, they NEVER HAD and they will definitly NOT HAVE IT before t-mobile itself is selling the device!

cheers, lutz

No problem, I have removed the link

On another note, how much customisation have T-mobile done to the SDA? Looking through the manual it doesnt seem too customised, is it app locked? Taking into account you have a pre-release rom of course, thanks

no problem, you could keep the link posted but i just thought i should tell you since this shop is known for this kind of "business" in germany.

regarding branding: you have the logos on the device, the two extra buttons (t-zones, t-mail), homescreen/colour scheme, and some revised icons in the program list that look different to the standard wm smartphone icons.

the applock is only partial on the registry (you can install any applications but trying to move/delete programs in the program list is impossible) but you can remove it with the well known app lock removal tool.

cheers, lutz

Guest MaximilianWeisheit

Lutz.

Is the SDA Sim-Locked?

Being that the phone is from T-Mobile D and I remeber T-Mobile D phones are normally not sim locked.

In addition are the extra buttons (T-Zones, T-Mail) able to be associated with something else? (Opening inbox or other programs?)

Let us know, Thanks

hi buddy,

my sample is not simlocked and like you said t-mobile germany only simlockes prepaid packages phones so i am not expecting the sda to be simlocked.

regarding the t-zones/t-mail buttons: i am sure that someone will find out how to change the registry to do this. should be no problem at all.

cheers, lutz

Damn..

C500 only got available yesterday in DK.. SDA will prob not be available in DK - maybe Qtek 8010 in time..

What to choose ? Anyone any good idea? And I need a new phone soon!

/Jakob

i've said it a couple of times before and i say it again:

it depends in:

a) your taste. the c500 looks much more individual than the sda!

:) your tasks. the sda is better in handling because of the other keypad and the joystick. you want to gamble -> sda. you don't gamble -> c500 is ok.

c) your carrier. if you want to use all features the devices offers (eg. t-zones, orange online) you have to buy a device from your carrier. easier setup of connections/mms/mail when you buy a device from your carrier (mostly pre configured). i advise everyone to deside by contract what carrier to go with and not by hardware.

d) price. sda will be cheaper if you buy without contract.

cheers, lutz

Been Orangecustomer since 8 years ago..

No T-mobile in DK.

I don´t game.

I can set up phones in my sleep..

I don´t use carrier services.

c500 costs ~ 325 € in DK

No idea about QTek etc - but I will prob not be cheaper..

Thanks/

Jakob

Guest sblarsen

Is it possible to add new language packs to wm2003? - or maybe just a T9 pack? - I ordered the SDA, hoping that Danish would be supported, but unfortunatly i see that it is not.

I suppose it's too early to ask, but do you think the SDA case will fit the C500? I like the idea of having the joystick (not for gaming), which is generally accepted as being easier to use.

Guest sblarsen

Ok.... I really don't mind the menus and complete OS is in English, but writing e-mails and even text messages is going to be a bummer, without predictive text input.

...i know that quite well from buying us devices and then i miss the so called umlaute from german like ä, ö, ü - you danish people have this kind of stuff too right?

cheers, lutz