Co-Pilot GPS Navigational software review by phil-t

Guest awarner

• 3 weeks later...
Guest A.Hughes

Hi everyone,,,i have read all the posts and reviews posted here and i delighted i choice co-pilot for smartphone.

However, just a couple of questions if anyone can shed light??

When i run the CD and it loads the cab files to the phone only the application loads successfully, the wav cab fails to install??? I read that you need top have at least 10mb free program space to be able to use voice wav for this app, if this is true, how do i free up program memory/space?

Did anyone else have this problem when first installing, if so how did you overcome it??

If a do a hard reset, will i have to reload everything back onto my phone?

Apart from this hick-up the app is 5 star, i just wish i could use or hear the female voice give the directions.

I copied the mini sd that came with the package directly onto another larger sd, then installed the app if that helps.

Couldnt get the answer from ALK??

Hope to hear back soon :lol:

I've got the full COPILOT Smartphone package with receiver/software and everything else, FOR SALE, Brand new condition. Bought September 23rd I think. Will be selling cheap, Im buying a car with SAT NAV already in it so don't need CoPilot.

Cheers Rik, I'll have a look and install the patch.

Apart from the app crashing under low memory conditions, the only other slight problem I've had is the homescreen taking back control from the app, and I've had to go back to the still running copilot session to continue.

*EDIT* ALK.eu.com seems to be down at the mo.

the only other slight problem I've had is the homescreen taking back control from the app, and I've had to go back to the still running copilot session to continue.

That is actually an OS option. If an app has no input for a period of time it will revert back to the homescreen.

You can turn that off by going to start->settings->homescreen and setting 'Time out' to Never or a much larger value than it is currently.

Well, confucious, I hope you will be happier than me with this awful piece of software. Someone else care to post £110 inc P&P, I'll happily post this to you.

Has anyone ever tried getting an address in Bath, UK, Avon????

Had to go there this w/e and CoPilot it kept returning too many city matches. Tried every possible conceivable entry, to no avail. Anyone care to check this on their CoPilot?, please

Fortunately I knew where I was going and managed to find the place from my (brain) GPS. I do +/- 50K miles/year and so far CoPilot strikes me as a TOY GPS, certainly nothing I would or could rely on. BTW, I've been using GPS units of various flavours for over 7 years.

When I got there (Wellsway BA2) it displayed that I was in Upper Bristol Road which is some 9 miles away, in a completely different direction. Checked the Fortuna Clip-on Coordinates and they were correct for the Wellsway location.

Out of interest, I decided to select the shortest route from Hastings to Bath - well, A259, A/M27, A36 is certainly not the shortest. CoPilot seems to think that avoiding Warminster by-pass and letting me crawl through the town for 1/2 hour consisted of the shortest route. On the way back, shortest route again, round Warminster (on the by-pass) but then decided to take me through Arundel town centre as the shortest route - NOT!

On the way to Bath, east of Salisbury (A36) are a couple of villages with lots of cameras - all boinked correctly - on the way back - not a single alert! Oh - they did point in my direction of travel...

I have given up on e-mailing ALK support - having given them the DNA of every piece of equipment I own on 3 occasions so far, with null results - no confirmation, no reply - nothing!

I bought CoPilot on the strength of the review (phil-t (edited by awarner)) on this Forum, but have come to realise that pootling in Caldicot and around your house a couple of times does not make a sound base for a purchasing decision.

Whilst I admit, CoPilot has some very good points in first line useability, it starts showing serious flaws when used as a proper navigational tool.

~10% of London Roads have "no name", post code search has, to date, not returned any valid data. Maps are out of date, even though they 'pasted' the M6 toll road in :lol:

Having travelled some 2K miles with it, on 5 occasions it did not know its right from its left, has tried twice to guide me into a pub car park (ALK's sense of humour?), bear left/right confusing - as if I would want to take a little detour off the main road into a lay-by, just for the fun of it, X-roads - bear left... I could go on... and on... It just feels as if someone, who has NEVER driven in their life, has pasted the navigational controls.

So here then my review of CoPilot Live Smartphone:

Software Launch time: 8/10

Clarity of Menus: 8/10

Menu Accessibility/Navigation: 8/10

Night Map: 10/10

Voice/Guidance Volume: 10/10

Address find:3/10

Contacts integration: 2/10

Road database: 6/10

Post Code find: 0/10

POI integration: 3/10

Re-routing speed: 10/10

Travel pointer accuracy: 7/10

Routing Accuracy: 6/10

Guidance Accuracy/Clarity: 4/10

Cabin Clutter: 10/10

Reliability: 4/10

Value for Money: 3/10

Publisher Support: 0/10

Confidence in Product: 1/10

Level of frustration: 8/10

Payment from ALK for for evaluating their software: 0/10

Payment from ALK for writing this review: 0/10

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.