Car Charger

Guest Mark0824

You sir are a star! I've been working away from work for the last few weeks so I've not had a chance to investigate this past 'nope, it doesn't work with my USB wall brick'. Can you post a pic of the mod as you have made it (would it even be visable?!)

Many thanks

RikF

Guest Confucious

Ok rickwookie - when are you going to start mass producing them so you can selll them to all us cack handed people that wouldn't dare attempt it for ourselves? :)

I would ask if I could send you a cable for you to mod but I'm sure you have better things to do with your time.

Guest rickwookie
Can you post a pic of the mod as you have made it (would it even be visable?!)

Here they are.

As you can see pins 4 and 5, as well as being connected together, are also soldered to the shield. This probably breaks some USB rules, but since this cable only works as a charger now, I don't care.

miniUSB2.jpg

miniUSB1.jpg

Guest rickwookie

If you do want to do the mod you'll need a knife like in the pic to slice out the plastic from under the front of connectors 4 and 5 (two right-most contacts). It is then a fairly simple task to solder to contacts together as the solder won't go where there is still plastic. Don't put too much on though, just enough to make the link.

Tip: I found that slightly lifting the two contacts with the tip of the blade before applying the solder, then 'melting' them back into place, worked well.

Remember once you do this the C500 won't transfer data on this cable anymore (it will be in "I've been tricked into thinking that I'm charging from the mains adaptor, so I've no time for data on the line, leave me alone" mode). So if it's your only cable, don't do it!

Most people with a car charger will want to keep the cable in their car anyway I expect.

Blade1.jpg

Guest carphead

I emailed BoxWave earlier in the week about their C500. They promised me that their USB Car Charger and C500 Cable have been tested and work.

So I ordered one and I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Guest NoBackUp

You know would it not just be as effective to get one of those CAR TO USB plug in adaptors and do the mod in the adaptor, that way you can use your standard cable or one of the retractable ones 8)

“PDA USB Car Charger Adaptor

USB Car Charger Adaptor plugs into your car's cigarette lighter and allows you to safely and rapidly charge your handheld device.

With output connector of USB female head, this portable USB Car Charger Adaptor can be used with a following USB sync cable to sync and charger your PDA or mobile phone”

Example here :-

Guest rickwookie
You know would it not just be as effective to get one of those CAR TO USB plug in adaptors and do the mod in the adaptor, that way you can use your standard cable or one of the retractable ones  8)

Nice idea, but unfortunately the pin that needs grounding for this mod to work doesn't appear at the 4-pin end of the cable (the adaptor end). It is pin 4 of the 5-pin end (at the phone itself)

It has nothing to do with the cable, the cable provided is a standard USB device cable with no mods.

The reason it only charges when activesync is running (or pocketmac plus the loaded module on Macs) is due to the activation of a logic gate inside the phone that enables charging.

You can mod the cables if you like but it will not work with activesync which on the phone itsself when it senses a sync connection and the ACK signal on the USB bus, it closes a gate (Ic logic terminology) which tells the phone to starg trickle charging from the USB 5V using the ground on the cable.

The mains charger supplied by HTC has some simple circuitry to trick the phone into thinking there is a data connection (hence only two wires) so it charges.

Guest carphead

Yes we know that but when I email BoxWave to start with and asked if their car charger + usb cable would work they told me yes it had been tested.

So I order one and found out it didn't work. When I emailed them to tell them they said oh we found out yesterday it didn't work!

Why bother lying about something claiming it had been tested when it quite plainly hadn't?

I've looked through my pile of usb leads and the one received with a USB 2 card reader charges the C500 from the usb hub with no activesync running however as previous posts there is no data connectivity.

I'm sure its noted somewhere but have you noticed that putting the headphone jack into the phone switches it on, certainly didn't on the e200? - this is a useful feature for a wired car kit as no forhetting to turn the phone on.

Guest Hainsey

Has anyone found a solution that doesn't require me murdering my data cable yet? are there any other phones/other devices that use the same socket as on the phone? perhaps they have in car chargers? :?:

Guest NoBackUp

according to someone over on howardforums an original MPX200 car charger will charge the phone...I have found a no name extendable (retractable) USB cable which also allows me to charge from other sources...

Guest ukmidsguy

I bought a MPX200 car charger and tried it with my C500 and it doesn't work ^_^ When I connect the charger to the phone, the back-light comes on but the phone doesn't charge. Still on the hunt for a car charger!

Guest spacerace

this is crazy ! I'm amazed Orange / after market suppliers have let this phone be out so long without producing a car charger that works without a DIY soldering effort....

come on Orange !

I also got the same cable withmy video camera and thought of using the other one in my car until I read this thread...

I would not mind "fixing" this spare cable, but I'm not sure I got the point how to do it. Do I need to join pin 4 & 5 together only?

Guest eepgmik

I bought a charger the the Motorola MPX220 (or whatever it's called) from The Link. However, it wouldn't charge my C500.

Thanks to this forum I now know why, just wondering what to do instead! It's quite annoying that they haven't produced any accessories for it.

Martin

Guest spacerace

well apparantly no, most people report it will only charge if AS is installed. However, a coupe of options:

1. perhaps it was ONCE installed on your computer ? once installed it would likely leave the appropriate drives on your PC to allow charging even after removal of the AS software.

2. I believe AS simply allows charging down the USB data cable through appropriate driver 'instructions' - its possible other software might also achieve this.

Maybe nr. 2 then, because AS was never installed here. We got "Thin Client" system here (VXL), and no way to install whatever... Well I'm not complaining, I can even give this cable a try in my car ^_^

Guest spacerace

well yes give it a try, it's always possible the difference is in the cable in some way... in which case many people (including me) would like to know where you got it !

alternatively perhaps your thin client system is in some way providing the necessary information to allow the charging capability.

Guest gordonbe

The Motorola MPX200 car charger works. You can pick up in the states for $8.00 since the Moto phone is being discontinued. You can also order the car charger from AT&T for the Audiovox Typhoon device for ~$24.00.

Guest Hainsey

i have tried the mpx200 charger and it doesn't work just light's the screen and doesn't charge. but mine isn't an original so perhaps that's why. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest MisterEd

I'm using a Moto model VC520 car charger (purchased for $10 from the ATT store when I got my phone) and it charges just fine (as can be seen from the photo). The charger is visible (#1) in the foreground and the charging icon (#2) on top of the phone.

Edit: Also, the USB cable from my Nikon D70 camera charges the camera as well from my PC and activesync has not been installed yet (as does the one that came with the phone). The USB port it's using is part of a Dell LCD display if that matters.

DSC_1068.jpg