MPX220 at Best Buy on Monday!

Guest ryanworrell

I made another round of calls to all the Boston area and southern New Hampshire Best Buys, none had the phone. All the Boston area ones also stated the warehouse didn't even have them. So it looks like late next week is the best bet at this point.

Guest dling1971

Spoke with a BB wireless rep in San Marcos, CA and one in Miami, FL

Store numbers 871 & 557 respectively. They both had 7 in stock. I then called locally to store number 498 in Bellevue, WA and the guy I spoke with stated that moto sent the 220's to FL and CA on the 7th and they were expecting everyone else to receive on the 14th................guess will see 8)

I just got back from Best Buy in West LA, CA. I gave the mpx220 a test run and was a bit dissapointed.

Positive:

- great looking phone

- good form factor

- nice screen

Negative:

- the unit takes about two minutes to boot up, every time you power the phone on!

- the rep told me that over half the people that have bought the phone have complained of their units constantly freezing.

- the battery life is no where near as advertised.

- Motorola is trying to address the freezing and boot up time with possibly a faster processor and/or ROM update. No idea how they will increase battery life.

I'm going to wait for the mpx.

plm :?

how did you test the battery life with the demo unit?!

how long do other smartphones take to boot in comparison?

there's not going to be a processor upgrade. it's already the fastest out there. it would have to be a rom update (which would easily fix the battery issue).

Negative:

- the unit takes about two minutes to boot up, every time you power the phone on!

- the rep told me that over half the people that have bought the phone have complained of their units constantly freezing.

- Motorola is trying to address the freezing and boot up time with possibly a faster processor and/or ROM update. No idea how they will increase battery life.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest AlbertoM
I just got back from Best Buy in West LA, CA.  I gave the mpx220 a test run and was a bit dissapointed.

Negative:

So what did you do? Hang around for 3~4 days to check the battery out? And two minutes? Takes that long for most phones to find the network. Give me a break! :roll:

- I had to take the word of the rep at the store re: battery life. If someone can verify the actual battery life from real use from a production model, that would be ideal.

- every phone i have ever owned DOES NOT take minutes to boot up and find the network. My computer and PDA don't take that long. AND my computer and PDA do not freeze when I am using them.

- until a ROM upate (which might ot might not be available sometime in the future (days, months?) fixes the(potential) short battery life issues, it would problematic to keep the unit powered on all the time. And, personally, turning on the unit and having to wait minutes everytime to use it would drive me nuts.

- i believe the mpx is slated to have a faster procesor

- and as far as giving you a break, I'm just expressing an opinion, mister.

Guest AlbertoM
- I had to take the word of the rep at the store re: battery life.  If someone can verify the actual battery life from real use from a production model, that would be ideal.
The rep at the store had just seen the phone, even assuming that they went through training using a real phone rather than Powerpoint. There are other forums that have posted actual results. It does not seem optimal, as expected from a dual processor machine. However, as I am one of those that charges every night, all it needs to do is last from morning to the time I get home with heavy use. When in my car, it is plugged into the charger.

- every phone i have ever owned DOES NOT take minutes to boot up and find the network.  My computer and PDA don't take that long.  AND my computer and PDA do not freeze when I am using them.

I never turn my phone off, except once or twice in a week briefly to allow any updates. There are people that will call me at night, and that is my business phone.

- until a ROM upate (which might ot might not be available sometime in the future (days, months?) fixes the(potential) short battery life issues, it would problematic to keep the unit powered on all the time.  And, personally, turning on the unit and having to wait minutes everytime to use it would drive me nuts.
Again, no problem, I don't turn it off.

- i believe the mpx is slated to have a faster procesor

...OK....

- and as far as giving you a break, I'm just expressing an opinion, mister.

So am I.

So, have you seen or are you using an mpx220? If not, please go buy one, give us the metrics on how long the battery life is - can it last a full heavy's day use without a car charge? (I work in an office) and if the unit freezes or not.

It would also be great to find out if Motorola is coming out with a ROM update like they did not do for the mpx200.

Thanks in advance.

Guest AlbertoM
So, have you seen or are you using an mpx220?  If not, please go buy one, give us the metrics on how long the battery life is - can it last a full heavy's day use without a car charge? (I work in an office) and if the unit freezes or not.
I would like to know that too. I have one on order. Until I get one, I do not have an opinion.

It would also be great to find out if Motorola is coming out with a ROM update like they did not do for the mpx200.

It would be interesting to know that too, but a bit premature to be asking for a ROM update when it is on such a limited release, and its main sin seems to be its failure to meet overblown and overhyped expectations. BengalBoy over in the Howard Forums seems to think it is an outstanding phone. Let you know when I see one.

Thanks in advance.

Quite Welcome!

Just go my today at bestbuy in VA. The phone is runnig great faster than my mpx200, and the bluetooth is even clearer, the camera is ok not what i espected but it does the job just fine, ill find out how long the battery last tomorrow since im on the phone all day. But so far it looks good very nice look on style ^_^

Ok the phone is nice and stylish but the one thing that kills me is that it needs a different MEMORY CARD!!! a"Mini SD card" to be exact.That sucks because for some one that bought a reg sd card, now they need to buy a different one.Plus accessories like the car charger are different.The video quality is not what i expected very poor! and the pic well :? it does the job but 1.3pix don't think so :x .Also it takes too long to turn on! My pc can turn on faster then my phone :? But don't get me wrong the phone looks great 8) !!! If style is what you are looking for? the MPX220 is your best choice but don't look for the sequel of the MPX200 because this baby has a totaly different actor. I mean I love my MPX200 and im a huge fan of it, but maybe i just need to explore it a little more,to find the jewels inside of it! but so far no treasure guys. :cry:

hmmmm.... so, are you UNhappy with it? If you were me and waiting to see what the cost of the SP3i is, would you go ahead and get it (it'll be available near me in about 12 hours) or wait? I'm anxious...

But after seeing the reviews, I'm leaning towards waiting for the MPx (it's so damn big though) or maybe the SP3i.

-sigh-

^_^

-Mc

just picked up this phone, it's out all over Atlanta and area. Volume is a bit low, not bad tho. Picture quality sucks, but I bought a phone not a camera. Everything else seems fine.

FYI- The Best Buy in Arlington, VA (near DC) has the MPx220 in stock. I just called and the Pentagon City Best Buy representative said that they have the MPx220 in stock over there, so happy shopping...

Guest PrettyUgly

everyone bought it. but how much is the damn thing?? i live in houston, tx and i havent seen it yet. been to frys electronics and a couple best buys. im going to have to buy it for full price, so how much is it?? im hoping no more than 400

Guest angeljo008

It is 500.00 without a contract

349.00 with a two year contract w/ Cingular

50.00 rebate with a one year contract

100.00 rebate with a 2 year contract--

Hope this helps

BTW This is only at Best Buy

I just bought mine from Best Buy in St Louis, and my cost went like this...

349.00 retail (activated or not)

100.00 mail in rebate from moto

50.00 from best buy for 2 year agreement

Guest angeljo008

they are coming out in IL this weekend--confirmed there is an official press release on phonescoop.com for this phone--it's on the home page under news

Guest angeljo008
I just bought mine from Best Buy in St Louis, and my cost went like this...

349.00 retail (activated or not)

100.00 mail in rebate from moto

50.00 from best buy for 2 year agreement

then you got lucky--because it's supposed to be 500.00 no contract

Guest PrettyUgly

then you got lucky--because it's supposed to be 500.00 no contract

ok ok, i just seen the mpx220 at a best buy near me. it looked really cool, but it didnt "wow" me the way i thought. i paid 400 for my mpx200. 599 for my treo 270, and even 249 for my old black and white sidekick, but nothing in me could bring me to shell out the 500 dollars and change for this phone. having to buy a mini sd card, car charger, and paying to get the phone unlocked helped some with that decision. i think im going to go with sprint and wait for the new treo 650 coming soon

Guest dmoney5

I'm having NO LUCK getting this phone. I'm still trying everybody that works the cell phone dept. I called a best buy in indianapolis and the guy told me it was 349 with or without contract. But when I got there, the other guy told me it was $500.