MpX220 Cingular Settings. HELP!!!!

Guest eyemtired

Guest eyemtired

I picked up my MpX220 at Best Buy in Fullerton, California. It was supposed to be out of the box ready to surf. I'm not surfing. I've tried all types of different settings from the repository, as well as info from other sites. Would anyone help me out with this? I'm gettin pretty pissed at this phone now. My previous was an O2 Xphone, running Windows CE as well.

Guest eyemtired
all you never wanted to know about Cingular's internet settings:

-Mc

I appreciate the response, but I've gone through switching back & forth with almost every combination possible of those settings. My fingers are nearly raw. I'm gonna need some more sleep, real soon. I've gotta get someone to verify what I could possibly be doing wrong, before I try to take the phone back to the store I purchased it from.

are you trying to connect via CSD or GPRS? Explain what you are trying to do...

I can verify that those settings are correct. My phones are unbranded and I have to manually enter all my settings...

-Mc

Guest chanceu

For $249 or $349 or whatever the price was, I think I would take the phone back to Best Buy and get them to make it work or give me a new one...or take it to Cingular...or call Cingular. This is supposed to be a Cingular branded phone, they should have no problem helping a Cingular customer get a Cingular phone to work on the Cingular network.

well, it all depends.

If this phone's branding *ONLY* has a Cingular logo on the front of it, I'm happy as hell. I'm afraid that they have key applications pre-configured for their settings so if you switch carriers, you can't change them (like their IM applications on all phones).

-Mc

Guest chanceu

I understand that and wouldn't have made my comments had this been a non-Cingular phone on Cingular's network, but it isn't. Accrording to everything I've read, Best Buy is selling Cingular MPx220's which means they should be configured to work on Cingular's network when they leave the store. According to the subject and your own response, the request is for settings for Cingular's network. And according to the original post, the phone was purchased from Best Buy.

I'm just a little skeptical about this whole Best Buy/MPx220 thing. This isn't the only post requesting settings for Cingular's network for a Cingular MPx220 bought from Best Buy. There's even a post on another site that shows a picture of a Best Buy flyer advertising the MPx220. I checked the online flyer from Best Buy for several ZIP's in Southern CA and found no mention of the MPx220. I don't know about CA, but in the Atlanta area, Best Buy's online flyers are identical to the ones out of the paper.

I understand having to manually setup a phone when it was not purchased from a particular provider. I used these forums and others to setup my XPhone with AT&T. But when the MPx220 is available from AT&T and I purchase it from AT&T to use on AT&T, I certainly don't expect to have to come search these forums to figure out how to set it up.

Don't yell at me. I'm just trying to help...

I've seen that post and I did look up that ad. It's there. You're doing something wrong. Are you suggesting that Best Buy really isn't selling a real Cingular branded phone? Also, this is the first post I've seen saying that it isn't configured correctly. Nobody else seems to be complaining about it.

It's possible that Cingular left settings generic for a couple reasons. 1 - to get it out faster so people who really, really want this thing can get it. Most geeks that wanted this thing yesterday can configure the settings themselves. 2 - When the merger with AT&T happens, the settings today won't be the settings tomorrow. If they came pre configured, you'd be more pissed off later when it stops working.

-Mc

Guest chanceu

I understand that and wouldn't have made my comments had this been a non-Cingular phone on Cingular's network, but it isn't. Accrording to everything I've read, Best Buy is selling Cingular MPx220's which means they should be configured to work on Cingular's network when they leave the store. According to the subject and your own response, the request is for settings for Cingular's network. And according to the original post, the phone was purchased from Best Buy.

I'm just a little skeptical about this whole Best Buy/MPx220 thing. This isn't the only post requesting settings for Cingular's network for a Cingular MPx220 bought from Best Buy. There's even a post on another site that shows a picture of a Best Buy flyer advertising the MPx220. I checked the online flyer from Best Buy for several ZIP's in Southern CA and found no mention of the MPx220. I don't know about CA, but in the Atlanta area, Best Buy's online flyers are identical to the ones out of the paper.

I understand having to manually setup a phone when it was not purchased from a particular provider. I used these forums and others to setup my XPhone with AT&T. But when the MPx220 is available from AT&T and I purchase it from AT&T to use on AT&T, I certainly don't expect to have to come search these forums to figure out how to set it up.

Guest chanceu

Whoops...sorry about that. Posted the same message twice.

Not yelling and not saying that Best Buy is selling a non-Cingular phone. That's the point. If Best Buy is selling a Cingular phone it should be setup to work on Cingular's network. Yes, Cingular may have decided to not configure the phone, but I doubt it. That would be a support nightmare for them.

For my information, where did you see the Best Buy MPx220 ad? Did you see it out of a news paper or from Best Buy's web site. I saw the one posted on PhoneMag.com, but I haven't seen a real ad. I looked at Best Buy's online flyers for San Marcos and Fullerton and saw no mention of the MPx220.

I just think that there are some odd things about this whole MPx220/Best Buy thing. 1-The big deal was that Best Buy and Cingular had the phone first, (as asked eariler) so why isn't it setup to work on Cingular's network? 2-Why are there only two Best Buy's (at least that I've read about so far) in this entire country that seem to have these phones in stock? 3-Why does Motorola have a big AT&T advertisement on their web site about this phone?

I'm confused as well, I just want to get this phone. I don't know why a few BB's would have it and not all of them, BS if you ask me. Chaucer - enter 92078 as the zip and under Wireless Communications, you'll see the MPx220 listed. Are you in Atlanta? I stopped by the cumberland store today and they still had a display with no phone. I'm tired of calling these best buy's because they never answer the phone, what a pain in my ass.

Guest chanceu

Thanks, that's all I wanted to see. That is the ZIP I used this morning, but that isn't the same ad. Maybe I keyed ZIP wrong.

I'm glad I'm wrong. Means the phone is here and on it's way to other providers!

First, I know I can use the Cingular one, but I want one from AT&T. Secondly, I don't understand why the phone is available only in a few Best Buys in CA, especially since some of the Atlanta stores have the displays.

yeah, i'm wondering that myself. Either motorola is smart in getting consumers excited about a product and/or best buy is terrible with distribution to their stores. who knows. Either way, most people there have proved useless in terms of stock dates and no one will answer the phone at those stores. I'll let you know if I find one in the Atlanta area, I'm assuming they will arrive here at some point this week, ATL is a huge market.

I wonder what the difference will be between the AT&T and Cingular ones?

Also, when they say $350 w/cingular, $250 w/2 yr contract, what exactly does w/ cingular means? I assume that is accurate since some people have gone and bought the phone. Does that mean you aren't bound to a contract if u buy it for $350?

Guest eyemtired

You guys are right. Why would they sell a phone if it is not configured properly. I went back to the Best Buy in Fullerton and had it replaced. Right out of the box, the second one was surfing fine. I was able to configure my e-mail and I got in on the first try. It was a defective unit I picked up, not the MpX 220 line. I've got it up & surfing w/no other alterations needed.

By the way, here is the info on the store I bought this at.

Fullerton CA (Store 114)

120 E. Imperial Hwy

Fullerton, CA 92835

Phone: 714-871-3281

Hours: Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm

Sun 10:00am-7:00pm

Media Inquiries

Best Buy Public Relations Department

[email protected]

Phone: 612-292-4000 - Option #4

After Hours Pager: 612-538-6998

Customer Service Inquiries

Best Buy

Corporate Customer Care

P.O. Box 949

Minneapolis, MN 55440

1-888-BEST BUY (237-8289)

Guest refnulf

I think Motorola is getting rid of their bad shipment first... the phone isn't official launched anywhere else... rather weird.

The V3 is all over the world already... so something's up somewhere. I think the official version should be better. (the ones comin out later)

I can't open the PDF [some firefox issues here] but this is what I've got for GPRS

Cingular USA

Wap Gateway APN: wap.cingular

Wap Gateway IP: 66.209.11.61

Wap Gateway Port: 9201

Wap Gateway Username: [email protected]

Wap Gateway Password: CINGULAR1

Guest Underdog_2k
I think Motorola is getting rid of their bad shipment first... the phone isn't official launched anywhere else... rather weird.

The V3 is all over the world already... so something's up somewhere. I think the official version should be better. (the ones comin out later)

Europe is a far better place for mobilephones (in their eyes) Us lags in the progress of new phones an systems Japan and Europe r leaders in that area so where would you test your phone? In your cash cow countries or in a country where your popularity is much higher but not the best market for your products. In europe Moto is just a shadow of what it used to be with the popular v50 series back then the smallest phone on the market.

The mpx220 is fast and good looking but horrible battery and lens/software for the camera. Only geeks would buy it cause they know it has a dual core processor.. ^_^ Don't c any girl buying it when it weights like a bric and has such a bad camera they rather buy a sonyericsson. k700 or something like it. few people care if it's smartphone powered..

So.... I understand...... :D (Chris Rock)

apparently you haven't seen the review for AT&T's Audiovox. The camera on that is horrible. It's worse than the MPX220. Also, it's bluetooth doesn't allow using it for listening to music.

So, the geek that I am, I'm really leaning towards the 220 now. I may hold off for the shoebox they call the MPx because I need WiFi. May get both to. ^_^

-Mc

Guest refnulf

It's gonna be the MPx220 or the MPx, and I've already been waiting since February for it, so what's another few weeks/months.

Hopefully there's an update for the MPx220 because there are some major issues but I think the MPx is gonna be perfect (since they're taking their own sweet time to get it out)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed (the only other phone I would possible get is the SDA)

1. Internet settings on the shipped phones are correct. The internet didn't work on the one I have. I spent a LONG time screwing with it. When I called Cingular (just a little while ago), they confirmed that WIX Pay Per Use was not on my phone. Once I added it, everything worked!

2. All these "issues" we read about are non existant in the phone I have. The sound through the earpiece was TOO loud and I had to turn it down. It seems that some people aren't taking the protective plastic off the earpiece or are holding it wrong.

3. The diplay is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the C500 series. Smaller? Yah, by .2 of an inch diagonally but it's worth it because it looks a million times sharper and richer.

4. Camera is better than the C500. I don't care what anyone says. I compared the two side by side (and you can do the same by looking at the pics taken with the Audiovox in that review). I took both phones and snapped a pic at the exact same time in the same conditions at the same object. Might I point out that the Motorola also has flash, a viewfinder for self pics, and greater resolution?

Nothing, and I mean nothing compares to the MPx220 right now. The C500 series feels like a cheap little toy in comparison. For those that say otherwise, they have either not used the 220 or they read Tom Sawyer and Huckelberry Finn too many times.

-Mc

I just got a MPX220 through Cingular. I was kind of excited about it, but must say I am dissapointed with the quality. The screen resolution is terrible compared to the MPX200. The trade off in having a camera is not worth it if you have to look at poor screen resolution the rest of the time. More importantly, I am having problems synching locally and remotely with Exchange server. Cingular have no clue on supporting the phone at all! Most of their reps don't even know it exists. As of now, it gets thumbs down!

Compared to the MPx200 in the store, the display won hands down. It also beat the crap out of the c500. Are you sure you're not mad that it's a bit smaller? The screen resolution is exactly the same (despite your review). The dimensions are just slightly smaller. But it has 5x the colors and twice the clarity. I'm very, very happy with it... especially in comparison to all the alternatives.

No idea on the Exchange Server stuff, I don't sync to one. But I'm sure it works somehow...

-Mc

Guest MotoBaller

well i need settings for att internet and everything I just adjusted it at automatic for all settings....well i just got it for like 2 weeks...but need help with the settings for att....