Mpx220 and WMP-10

Guest gsr264

Ok so apparently moto is missing the boat majorly. It doesn't appear that the 220 will be having wmp10 included in this rom, and we all know moto isn't a big advocater of rom updates. I could be wrong about this but it doesn't look like it. I visually love this phone, but it's beginning to look like it will stop there. I hate candybar type phones, but the audiovox is starting to look more appealing, especially when i can sych tv shows to it that i recorded from my media center. It doesnt look like the mpx220 will be able to do this unless someone "pirates" a rom upgrade, which isn't exactly legal either.

Any ideas anyone??

PLEASE tell me I'm wrong!!!

Please?

lol... if I remember correctly, there was a rom update available for the mpx200 but either moto or att decided not to release it so it wouldn't detract people from buying the 220. Greedy bastards, wouldn't surprise me if they do it again. I'm curious to see what happens when cingular and att merge...

Guest midnight

thats cos the mpx200 update was sp2k2 to wm2k3 update, something they didnt update the SPV/E100 to either, you cant blame moto for that. You could say the same about HTC, they didnt release a WM2K3 update for the E100 cos they wanted to sell the E200 yet you dont hear them being called greedy bastards for the same thing.

Some people would argue the MPx200 never got an update cos it was pretty much perfect as it was and so didnt require one. The MPx220 however seems to have some pretty large bugs and so I would think will need an update or two to fix.

First, it's kinda premature to state "it's beginning to look like..." when discussing the future of the MPx220. It hasn't even been officially released yet! What makes you think that Motorola/Cingular/AT&T/whoever won't release an update to the phone to fix any issues as well as add WMP 10? Do you have any official word (or even rumor) that there will be no updates?

I didn't think so...

-Mc

Well what do you guys think about WMP10? Do you think mpx220 will have it, or get it from an update? Midnight if you really think they'll have an update to fix the volume and battery life, I'll probably still get the new moto... i just hope they would include wmp10...

Actually midnight now that I think of it, the mpx200 had issues with battery life when it was first released as well did it not? I know mine sucked... ^_^

Guest AlbertoM
...but it's beginning to look like it will stop there...PLEASE tell me I'm wrong!!!

Please?

Good grief! It hasn't even been released by ATTWS yet! Heck, it hasn't even been release by Cingular yet, just Best Buy for Cingular! Want to give it a couple more week!?!?!

And, BTW, OK, you are wrong! :!: :roll:

I really think you guys are waiting for nothing. My sources say The ATTWS and Cingular merger will be complete around the 26th of this month. This being the case, dont you think they'll just wait until then and use the cingular version on both networks? We already know they are shipping in carrier generic boxes and their unlocked... either way, The end result seems to be that the att version of the phone IS the cingular version. why develop a different version for a company that will only be around for a few weeks?

Guest AlbertoM
I really think you guys are waiting for nothing. My sources say The ATTWS and Cingular merger will be complete around the 26th of this month. This being the case, dont you think they'll just wait until then and use the cingular version on both networks? We already know they are shipping in carrier generic boxes and their unlocked... either way, The end result seems to be that the att version of the phone IS the cingular version. why develop a different version for a company that will only be around for a few weeks?
Because if the merger is approved and signed off today, then we are dealing with months of negotiations, who is whose boss, what is sold off what is kept (part of the approval is forcing some divestures), what towers are kept, what frequencies are kept, what stores are closed and left opened, etc.

At this point, while there are some things in common, there is still, however slight, the possibility that the buyout could fall through at the 11th hour (remember Microsoft and...was it Intuit?) and then corporate secrets would have been exposed. They are still competitors. You are looking at end of Q1, maybe Q2!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest angeljo008
Just to brag... how money was I on my prediction??? ^_^

It appears that Cingular and Moto are talking about a ROM update to FIX the volume and mic issues for incall status---Soooooo We shall see--apprently should be done before or around the time of the official Cingular release in their corporate stores--from my understanding--you will have to go into a Cingular store to have it updated--it will not be something you can simply download--Here's to crossed fingers!!!

• 1 month later...

I got my mpx220 and i LOVE IT!, everything cept for the camera.. i expected ALOT more from the 1.2MP camera... just not up to par, ive heard the new rom update will fix it, i compared shots from the v3 and the mpx220.. the v3 won by landslide, and i hate it! it makes me furious ne ways.. i just called cingular and told them i had volume issues (*even though i didnt) they had me hit **#something to get the software ver. 342 which is the old rom then they had me hard reboot it finally i was like "look i know it has something to be with the fw can you just send one out to me..." he checked with his manager.. badda bing he comes back on the phone and says you will have it in 3-5 business days... so ill let everyone know what i think when i get it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Just to brag... how money was I on my prediction??? :)

I don't think you were very "money" on your prediction at all. It seemed to me that you were claiming there would not be any rom updates from Moto on the issues and there have been, whether or not they will create a new one... who knows.

I think they will because it is a long way to the next version of WM. When the MPx200 came out there was already devices using WM2003. That is why they didn't release a update for the MPx200.

gsr264,

Since it has been released (what, 1 month officially), we've seen .325, .342, 1.30 and 1.70 and 1.90 are "floating about" right now. Sounds like your prediction was more of a baseless theory. There was another guy on here (hmmm... seem to forget his name at the moment) that said that the MPx220 would see *NO* updates after .325 and he claimed to be the expert in this field. He was way off to. Talk about lack of credibility!!!

Anyway,

I know for a fact that Motorola is working on WMP10 in a FW update right now - for the MPx220. Also, they are currently discussing user installable FW updates. One of the issues is security and the other is, who will provide (host) it.

Hey, we waited this long for the MPx220. We have it now. Can't anybody wait a little while for WMP10? It's not that big of a deal anyway. I haven't seen anyone begging for WMP10 actually list the features they think it will provide that they don't have with WMP9. WMP9 does everything I want it to. I could really care less if I see WMP10.

The 1.30 FW really makes this phone fly. It's snappier and the camera is much improved. They are still fiddling with the camera stuff in the FW so I couldn't be happier with the MPx220 and where the FW is and where it's headed. I suggest that everyone with .325 or .342 swap out for the latest FW.

Anyone else want to make a prediction? Nobody has hit one yet...

-Mc

McHale: Do you have any information on the Firmware for the AT&T version of the MPx220? I believe if I send it to Moto they would flash it with the .342 version (which I already have). Are they planning on releasing a general version of the firmware when they release the new packages?

McHale: Do you have any information on the Firmware for the AT&T version of the MPx220?  I believe if I send it to Moto they would flash it with the .342 version (which I already have).  Are they planning on releasing a general version of the firmware when they release the new packages?

where to begin...

For the initial discussion, let's say AT&T and Cingular are still 2 seperate companies. In this case, if you had a Cingular phone and wanted an AT&T FW on it, Motorola would not do it under any circumstances. It has to do with licensing issues. I've delt with this first hand with Motorola and Nokia. Neither will do it.

But since Cingular bought AT&T, this gets wierd. AT&T customers can still stay AT&T customers as of now with AT&T phones. I have no idea what Motorola plans to do with this. Since both companies took a hard line that you need to buy a new phone for Cingular if you become Cingular, even though it's the exact same phone, I'm guessing they will never do it and those that bought it are SOL.

BUT

If they do provide a downloadable update (and it's still 50-50) I'm not sure how they will stop AT&T customers from putting the Cingular FW on it. Look how they are doing it with the C500/iMate/dopod/etc. I suppose they could do a check before the upgrade starts to see if it's a Cingular phone or not, but someone will make sure it gets hacked.

I wish I could tell you more, but I'm just guessing on this. Until now, I never gave it much thought as I was always trying to find out about *MY* phone (which is Cingular). It does seem odd though that they would sell the AT&T version to such a limited base.

This is a unique situation... I'd say the big thing to wait for is to see if Cingular customers get downloadable FW upgrades like the rest of the MS Smartphone world. If they do, I think you'll be OK. If not, we're all kind of screwed. I have no pull at Motorola and the few people that listen to me have little to no pull either. I do know that there are a few Motorola guys on these forums so they know what's going on. I just hope they realize that the old days of hacking a phone to get it to do something is nothing like today's hacking. A long time ago, they hacked to make free phone calls and listen to phone calls. Today, we're trying to play MP3's and make cool homescreens.

-Mc

Most people miss having fast forward and rewind in WMP9...

I can see that. There are many who wanted the all in one device for phone, camera, MP3, etc. I don't listen to MP3's very much on mine so you'll have to excuse my "I don't get it" attitude on that. I want the ability to listen or watch multimedia on it, but it's not something I do a lot of.

Hey don't get me wrong, I want it to. If for no other reason, because it's out there and it's easily do-able. :)

-Mc

It seems to me that Moto doesn't want to pay MS the money for more licenses to update us to WMP10. Obviously if they really launch the so called MPx230 next year they will have spent the money and we wouldn't have a reason to upgrade. Maybe by then they will get the smartphone form factor right or they should employ user groups like us realy world users.

it's not a matter of licensing, it's a matter of integrating it into the OS. That will be done *AFTER* the major complaints are addressed (which is what everyone wants).

How much do you pay to upgrade your version of Windows Media Player on your PC? It's free. Same with the Mobile OS.

After Motorola have a phone that is working to the point they are happy, then they will work on stuff like a new version of Media Player...

-Mc

It seems to me that Moto doesn't want to pay MS the money for more licenses to update us to WMP10.  Obviously if they really launch the so called MPx230 next year they will have spent the money and we wouldn't have a reason to upgrade.  Maybe by then they will get the smartphone form factor right or they should employ user groups like us realy world users.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See signature... :|

See signature...  :|

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just to let you know, since seeing your sig a while ago, I've been using it ever since at work, in meetings, in political discussions, etc. Thanks!

-Mc

Moto is too slow combined with Cingular on the FW issue. No in store techs to help, Moto has NOT formally admitted any FW issues. My MPx220 works for what I need it to do. I don't see Moto offering any ROM update for WMP10 since they will make users wait for the next rumored model. Case in point my hx4700 still has WMP9 and I would use WMP10 on that but HP as not seen fit to offer a ROM fix or bug fix for that device and these issues were found weeks after the launch. I may not know everything but I do try to help.