Joystick not working

Guest frastow

Guest frastow

Wonder anyone has had this problem before - sure would appreciate some advice. The joystick on the SPV E100 is malfunctioning - any movement in any direction results in the joystick being 'clicked', if you know what i mean. i.e. a down press. However, I cannot do a down press! that doesnt work.

This has rendered the phone quite unusable, as I cannot scroll down the contacts list, SMS's ,etc.

Tech support here in the UAE (the phone is branded as i-mate here) advises me to do a hard reset - am not sure that's going to solve this, as it is likely to be a hardware issue...

Any thoughts?

Guest frastow

No, I have not installed xbar. BTW, the problem did not start after installation of any software or after any 'event', it just did. I used the phone one afternoon, normally and in the evening, I noticed this problem. I did not do any software installs, tweaking, and suchlike in the interim.

Thanks.

have you heard of Orneta Tester? not quite sure if you can still find it...

try to test it with that tool and give us some feedback...

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest frastow

Well, I did try out Orneta Tester and the results are consistent with what I am seeing in normal use. Any directional movement (up/down/right/left) of the joystick first generates the corresponding event and then immediately (within a fraction of a second) generates the Enter/Action button event.

A down press on the joystick does not generate any event.

Any user-serviceable way to clean the contacts - the phone is anyways out of warranty. I am not particularly keen to have my phone away for 10 days. I can tweak around a bit, have done so with other stuff in the past.

Thanks in advance.

The only area you are likely to get to is the connector between the keypad and the main board, if you were to open the directional switch itself i doubt you would finnish with success. The directional switch is only about 2mm cubed.

You could always hunt about and try find a new keypad. I will be selling one on ebay in the next couple of days.