Edit! Complete "how-to" guide activesync/BT

Guest Speedy

I have the wrong laptop with me at the mo but it was something like 1.3.1.17 or a low 1.4. They are all supported I believe but are unsigned, which means whenever you try and install them the signed MS drivers from SP2 are installed instead. Takes a bit of getting round. I don't *think* I have multiple devices installed but I think the MS BT stack is lurking around somewhere and has gobbled up ports 3-9, or was still luring about when I installed the widcomm drivers and therefore they were forced into 10 and above. Not handy for activesync. Still, the cable is faster and works so I am kinda just using that.

Guest gunnbot

I've had my C500 for 2 weeks now and have been trying in vain to get it working with ActiveSync over Bluetooth. I had all but given up untill I decided to sack off the SP2 built in stuff and go with the WIDCOMM drivers. Then it worked first time.

If you can't get it to work and don't mind going 'backwards' then I suggest anyone who can't get it to work should give the WIDCOMM stuff a go.

The drivers I used were IBM branded version 1.4.3.4 patched to work with Belkin USB adapter using the stuff that was once to be available from http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/ before they had to take it down.

so am i the only one whos still can't get this to work?

i am using the c500 as a modem for my laptop (compaq armada M300 with an unbranded high power bluetooth dongle running WIDCOMM software "version 1.4.2 build 10") over bluetooth (thanks to the orange helpdesk - manual was useless!), so obviously the two devices acan see each other and communicate no probs...

however, i cannot get activesync to connect via bluetooth having followed all advice posted.

i even tried uninstalling the WIDCOMM software to try and get SP2 BT stack to cut in, but it didn't install and i had to restore back to WIDCOMM.

any more suggestions?

another thing - is it possible to activesync and modem via BT at the same time (i only have one USB port on this lappy!)

would be really greatful for any more input

:?

MS SP2 will always install in preference to widcomm until you rename the file that contains the data - there are guides out there to do this. Once you have effectively removed the MS BT drivers from being recognised you can reinstall the widcomm drivers. I looked into using the patched IBM drivers but I wouldn't recommend it - the patch file required is no longer available and the drivers won't work without it. My original driver install file was already on my laptop, might be able to remember the directory if I put my mind to it. To be honest hasn't made the job easier and have read the MS drivers are pretty good anyway.

And no nickf, after wasting 2 days I gave up.

Guest littlespaceman

Aaaaargh - computers! Who needs them?!!! I have just installed SP2 and rebooted, in order to take advantage of the built in Bluetooth stack - and I can't find the supposedly built in BT software ANYWHERE! It's supposed to be in the control panel, right? But it's not there!!!! Anyone any ideas?

New feature of BT is that it is only enabled when you physically turn it on. So having booted up you need to manually switch on your BT and then it will add the new hardware/drivers. Best of luck.

Guest littlespaceman

But that implies I have built in BT? I don't I'm using a dongle, but surely the BT stack is a function of Windows (i.e as part of SP2) so should be there regardless of whether or not the BT is turned on? Even if I plug the dongle in, there is no BT Devices icon in the control panel...

Guest gunnbot

I think my brother had the same thing on his laptop on account of him plugging in the dongle in before installing SP2. After SP2 was installed Windows didn't recognise it as new hardware when he plugged it in.

You have to install a piece of Bluetooth hardware before the Bluetooth icon will appear in Control Panel. Then it will stay there forever (probably)

Try plugging in the dongle then going to Control Panel -> Add Hardware and install it the old fashioned way. It should pick it up and install the SP2 Bluetooth stuff.

Guest Godfather

OK, none of that is helping solve my bluebook. I can't get it to work. When I create a new incoming port for the phone it is com21 or com22 and I can't change it, I tried to delete it create another but its the same thing. And I don't get that Com21 port listed in ActiveSync. Someone please help I am about to chuck this phone.

OK it just looked in Device Manage and I see a Com22 standard Serial link to bluebooth and I tried changing the port to Com4 or 6 and they are all in use. what the hell is using all those ports up to 20? the only listed port order Com ports in Device Manager is the Com 22. Any ideas anyone? Please!

Guest megalomaniacs4u

I couldn't bluetooth activesync to work until I went to:

My Bluetooth Places, Entire Bluetooth Neighbourhood and right clicked the phone and ticked "Bluetooth Serial Port" under "Authorization".

Note: This was after I had done all of the faffing about on page 1 of this thread...

Thought you were on to something - I did tick all the boxes shown. And changing the advanced BT options to allow connection by BT I, for the first time, got the phone to display an error on connect of port already in use. Can't seem to connect from either phone or PC, both say port 9 (my BT serial port on the lappy) is already in use. Can connect serial port 6 (on phone) with serial port 9 on my laptop (in range for activesync) but no joy. Is this because the outbound serial port will be on port 10 or above? Back to the USB, then.

Guest Confucious

So, On your Laptop Activesync says COM9? In BT Incoming Port Says COM9? What is the BT Modem showing? If it's not COM9 change it to COM9 and ignore all the "In Use" warnings. Then reboot PC with BT turned OFF on the phone. Turn BT on and connect from the phone.

Good luck.

I couldn't bluetooth activesync to work until I went to:

My Bluetooth Places,  Entire Bluetooth Neighbourhood and right clicked the phone and ticked "Bluetooth Serial Port" under "Authorization".

Note: This was after I had done all of the faffing about on page 1 of this thread...

Your post may have just saved my life :lol:

Guest Confucious

You only get "My Bluetooth Places" if you are using external BT drivers (ie not SP2) and with Widcom drivers it asks what services you want enabled for the device when you install it, Serial Port should be included on instalation.

HTH

Guest megalomaniacs4u
You only get "My Bluetooth Places" if you are using external BT drivers (ie not SP2) and with Widcom drivers it asks what services you want enabled for the device when you install it, Serial Port should be included on instalation.

Yes I'm using Windows 2000 with a D-Link dongle. The serial port was included upon installation but with "authorisation required" so ticking the boxes worked.

Not sure I'll bother with bluetooth as activesync seems to go ape on startup if the phone isn't connected to the bluetooth serial port before it starts up. Which kinda defeats the entire object as you then have to persuade it the serial port is available later to use bluetooth.

Not worth the hassle IMHO, I'll stick with the too short cable until I get around to buying a longer one.

Hhhhmmm, my BT modem is on com 12 - why would I want this on com9? It works fine and surely I am trying to connect the BT serial port (which is listed as being on com9) to activesync. If I start from my phone or from my laptop I get the same message - port is in use. Which is an improvement over it not connecting at all.

Megalomaniacs4u, what exactly do you mean by go ape on startup? This may be the cause of the port busy problem I keep receiving - I do get a message on startup saying something along the lines of, "Activesync cannot connect - do you want activesync to stop looking for devices" which I keep cancelling. The one time I said OK it seemed to stop me being able to activesync by USB but perhaps I should do this again and try and connect via BT. I don't care too much whether it works but it would be nice if it did!

Guest Confucious

Put it this way - Until I changed my BT modem to the samne port Activesync didn't work. When I changed my BT modem to the same port it worked. it's up to you, but.....