Go For Co Pilot or wait for TOM TOM

Guest Fozza

I have some Money to burn and was wondering if I is better off waiting for TOM TOM to sort out their C500 clitch. OR just going out and buying Co Pilot.

I am a sales rep that does alot of mile in and around London.

Thanks

Fozza

Guest beersoft

i would wait for tomtom or go with mapopolis

i've tested copilot and its not that hot,

it thinks roundabouts are circles,

the rerouting is slow compared to mapopolis

the uk maps i've tested it with seem to be at least 12 months out of date or it thinks mini roundabouts are the same as crossroads.

and the 'you are here' blob/arrow is 50 meters behind you

later

Owen

CoPilot - crystal clear displays (I use the 3d view and safety view equally); quick re-routing; does what it says on the tin ^_^

Oh yeah, and you're not tied to any particular GPS receiver :D

I have heard a lot of good things about Tomtom... except for the GPS receiver.

I have a Fortuna Clip-on and unless Tomtom allow their product to be used with other devices they won't be getting my business.... looking at mapoplis atm... seems to work very well on the demo maps... about to expire though ^_^ I don;t want to fork out £100 on the Europe maps if Tomtom release a software only version

Guest AdmiralAckbar

At the time of writing, TomTom do not have a release date for C500. Could be next week, could be next year, could be never.

I emailed their support a few weeks ago for more detail (as in, were they even working on it ... never mind actual estimated release dates) and all I got back were stonewall corporate replies quoting company policy not to divulge that sort of info.

That's why, as soon as I saw CoPilot for sale (in MoDaCo shop) I bought it. A few weeks later, I am glad I did.

So what if it calls "Roundabouts" "Circles" - they are aren't they? By reducing the letters describing these "Roundabouts", they don't have to reduce the font size as much to get relevant information displayed on the screen.

I suppose they could have used "R'bouts" instead of "Circles" to get the same effect, but no doubt someone would have complained about that too!

So what if it says "bear left" at the end of a slip road joining a motorway (when you actually bear right to join the inside lane) - technically you have turned left to join the motorway anyway.

So what if it says "in 3/10ths of a mile ..." instead of TomTom's metres/yards or whatever. I never knew how far 3/10th of a mile was, but after driving around with CoPilot for more than 10mins, I can now point out any object at that distance easily. Worst case scenario, you can always switch sound off!

The only niggles for me are that I have to reset my Power Management Settings (Backlight and Display to no time outs) before and after each journey, and sometimes it doesn't always appropriately alert for POI's (ie. safety camera's) ... sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't ... haven't quite worked out the pattern - at first I thought it was a directional thing, but now suspect it's something to do with the way it switches views depending upon speed and proximity to turns etc.. Have also had one or two Out-of-memory alerts, but now I make sure I have nothing significant running at the same time as CoPilot and it works a treat.

Those niggles aside, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Buy it now. You won't regret it - although you might regret waiting months/years for TomTom to get their act together.

One word of advice though - if you are interested in the POI's (safety camera's) I have noticed that the maps you load onto your PC are more up-to-date than those already loaded on the mini-SD so it would be better not to go for the Quickstart plug-and-play option and go for the option to copy the maps from the supplied CDrom.

Hope that helps!

Guest Flubster

november's what mobile has a very very good comparison of smartphone navigation TomTom Mobile vs CoPilot Live vs Route 66.

I only skimmed it while looking for edge, t3 and stuff (Gotta love the gadget mags) at whsmith but seemed to be very detailed.

Hope this helps

Flubster

Guest AdmiralAckbar
FYI, roundabouts are commonly referred to as traffic circles in the USA. This is probably why they are called circles in Co-Pilot.

I didn't think they had any roundabouts in the USA - do you mean that that's what the Americans call them when they refer to the ones over here? :?

Guest AdmiralAckbar

AND ...

I forgot to mention in my earlier review, the CoPilot Live functionality works with little effort - that is, if you really do want your missus to use your home PC to be able to track your current location at any particular given time! :shock:

Guest Phil Lee

There are roundabouts in America which they call traffic circles. They are primarily used as traffic calming devices there in the same way as we use speed humps. Look up traffic circles on Google to see what I mean.

Guest TrippinBilly

Being from the U.S. there aren't that many traffic circles / roundabouts that I know of. The only ones that I've come across are much smaller than the ones I've seen in London. For example, Hilton Head, S.C. in the U.S. uses them to a very small extent. See the following map:

Hilton Head, S.C.

Just a handful located at the bottom of the map.

Guest Confucious

Apart from Destinator not being available yet, it doesn't say it's compatable with the C500 (although it is with Qtek - 8080, 8010, 8020). and the price - for the PPC version with BT adaptor and maps for Western Europe is $589 (approx £322) although, according to their store, if you by with Western Europe, USA and Canada maps it's only $539 - an error somewhere perhaps?

Review ov destinator 3 ofor PPC here.. Has anyone tried the smartphone version? Can anyone confirm compatability with C500? Roundabout bug fixed?

Guest peterweg

I think the price will be $449 about 250gbp +vat . I translated a french and german reviews of destinater 3 and they were full of praise. The maps were very up to date. As I need maps for places I don't know well, reviews by europeans are more useful.

Which make me wonder when michelin might get in the smartphone act

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr.../MaHomePage.htm

Or Garmin and Magellan for that matter.

rather over the top price wise though isn't it.

Unless tomtom get their finger out with a GPS receiverless version for the C500 I will be going with Mapopolis. Once you get used to the voice, it's very nice to use and the maps are navtech ones which I have found to be excellent in the past.

I received the following in an email from the Destinator support staff

we support the Orange SPV C500, which has been already tested with Destinator SP.  

Also the Fortuna BT-GPS Reciever is supported.  

We´ll be selling Destinator SP also as a software-only Version, about End of November

Once you get used to the voice, it's very nice to use and the maps are navtech ones which I have found to be excellent in the past.

Over on the gpspassion forum Lamar has said a new beta will be released mid-november for mapopolis (both ppc and sp) which should support recorded wavs instead of using the text2speach engine ^_^

im quite pissed off with tom tom now i emailed them a question asking is i bought it and used it with my old e200 would there be a free update so if it comes out on the c500 i could swap phones ,

the responce i got was this :S

At this time only the mobile phones listed below will be supported at first. Any additional models which may be added later will be listed on the website. TomTom is NOT allowed to discuss any products being tested until such time as management releases these as compatible to the TomTom website

The software at this time will only be sold as a bundle. TomTom navigator 3 and TomTom Mobile are not interoperable nor compatible with each other.

Any other attempts to make the software work on other unsupported phones will not be supported by TomTom.

Whhhaaaaattttttt ???? did i miss something ??