Go For Co Pilot or wait for TOM TOM

Guest Fozza

Guest Confucious

@awarner - just found this on Intelligolf's site

* - It has been reported that Tom Tom's new version 3.0 navigation software for Pocket PCs conflicts with many 3rd Party applications including IntelliGolf. As such, it needs to be deleted from your Pocket PC for 3rd Party applications to function properly. Tom Tom's version 2.07 appears to not cause such conflicts. Please contact Tom Tom directly to receive version 2.07 of their navigation software to avoid such conflicts.

The program works with GPS but not, apparently TomTom 3.

Do you know if it works with TomTom Mobile? If it doesn't I will get Co-Pilot.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

A worthy question which I hope to be able to answer, having used PDA GPS for 5 years and now had the experience of both products in question.

TT 2.0 on iPAQ 5450 and in my impatience bought the Copilot Live Smartphone.

TT are the BEST - period. I travel extensively all over the Uk and Europe and TT has guided me to the most obscure places with accuracy. Are you detecting a bias coming up?

CoPilot - IMHO - just isn't good enough. Whilst I allow for the difference of platform, ALK just haven't got it right. Hastily pasting the M6 toll road does not make it up-to-date! The maps are out of date, (roundabouts that have been there for >5years, not shown), my guess by about 7 years. It guides you right when it should be left, terminology of bear left/right very confusing when you're following the main road (in one case bear left was into a pub car park - not my destination!) ~ 10% of roads = NO NAME - even in central London, I beg you!

3 pre-sales mails to ALK yielded no response - should have been an indication... duh

TT French Map 215Mb - Copilot French Map 90Mb - does that tell you something? Even on the desktop application it can't find my regular call points in France - they just do not exist, according to CoPilot. :roll:

In short, if you need accurate, up-to-date GPS software, wait, pay the price and get a quality product - TomTom! :idea:

Of course, this is merely my opinion/experience. If anyone cares to make me a valid offer to purchase Copilot Live Smartphone.... 8) otherwise e-bay gets it!

Guest mavisdavis

yeah i gotta whole heartedly agree with the above post and say tomtom is worth it. And it IS COMPATIBLE WITH A FORTUNA CLIPON! :lol: Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest jmorehouse

Does anyone know if TT Mobile is out for the US yet? Also, will it work with an ALK Co-Pilot BlueTooth GPS unit? I have used TT, Mapopolis, and Routis w/ my iPaq, and TT was the best, so I want to get TT for my SMT 5600 if it is available. Any info and links would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find anything myself.

Guest AdmiralAckbar
TT are the BEST - period. I travel extensively all over the Uk and Europe and TT has guided me to the most obscure places with accuracy. Are you detecting a bias coming up?

CoPilot - IMHO - just isn't good enough. Whilst I allow for the difference of platform, ALK just haven't got it right. Hastily pasting the M6 toll road does not make it up-to-date! The maps are out of date, (roundabouts that have been there for >5years, not shown), my guess by about 7 years.

I drive nearly 25k miles/year and in the short space of time I've had CoPilot on my C500 I have not experienced any issues with the maps. Roads which have been built or extended in the last 12 months (on my regular routes anyway) are there.

Maybe I've been lucky - maybe Filax has been unlucky.

I wouldn't argue about TT being the market leader etc, but would state that CoPilot does exactly what it says on the tin so why wait if you want/need this sort of application now?

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I had the same problem with TTM.

I was off last Friday and women being women insisted that as I was off I would help with christmas shopping :shock:

Anyway we where looking for special modem shops, I got the Yellow pages out and started ringing round, we came to a list of 5 all in and around West Midlands.

I thought lets give TTM a real test as I have never been to these places and it could not find 4 out of the 5 addresses :lol: and most of these shops have been around for 50 years :!:

All of the roads where in Mapopolis :D and they are on last years maps, any day now they are going to release new maps and I had a play with Co-Pilot at the meet last Saturday and it found every road as well.

The other problem I find with TTM is that the re-routing is awful, I tried it last week driving home and it wanted me to take M42 up to the M6. I usually come off at the NEC junction and head round the back of the airport. I left the motorway and TTM told me me to stay left, so far so good. Then it said to turn around at the next island and head back to the motorway, I ignored this and turned right down to the airport TTM then wanted me to turn around and head back. I ignored again and guess what it wanted me to turn around again and when I go to the business park again it wanted me to turn around and head back to the motorway.

Only after this island did it give up and route me through Marston Green, don't know about you but this is mad. At the motorway junction it told me to stay left instead of going back onto the motorway then for 4 islands it wanted me to turn back :x instead of recalculating a different route, how mad is that.

The last straw yesterday I had to go from Monkspath to Acocks Green in my lunch break (15mins it said) now there are heavy duty road works on the A34 and most of the day it is a car park so when the route came up I told TTM to avoid the A34, which it did but after a few miles it tried to put me back on to the A34 and when I ignored it all it wanted me to do was to turn back to the A34.

When I realised where it was trying to take me I had to stop and get my old A-Z out and find out where to go by hand instead :twisted: but after all this 'fun' I had to turn back as I would have been late.

So three tries and your out TTM, none of the other sat nav packages I have ever tried before (even laptop pc based ones) have ever been this bad. So for now I am sticking with Mapopolis.

Dynamo that Mapopolis release has been delayed slightly they sent me an advance copy to test but it did not work, but any day now.

mavisdavis quoted: yeah i gotta whole heartedly agree with the above post and say tomtom is worth it. And it IS COMPATIBLE WITH A FORTUNA CLIPON!

is that official :?: :?: :?:

'Cos the Fortuna is one GREAT BT receiver, far superior to the bundled TT I have for my iPAQ - a couple of branches over the road and it looses the signal :shock:

I am awaiting info on the navigon.com offering ~300 Euros for the EU maps with extensive POI support...

ive had tomtom for a day now and i found it awsome and the routes it pick to be pretty spot on and the reroute when you go the wrong way very fast to load and also works well

the only thing i found odd was the fact i walk on the pavement with it its get a bit confused and bouces about the screen around tight corners somtimes

Guest Surveyor
november's what mobile has a very very good comparison of smartphone navigation TomTom Mobile vs CoPilot Live vs Route 66.

I only skimmed it while looking for edge, t3 and stuff (Gotta love the gadget mags) at whsmith but seemed to be very detailed.

Hope this helps

Flubster

Thanks for that. Shot out to buy it but it has left the shelves :lol:

What was the verdict?

Does anyone know if TT Mobile is out for the US yet? Also, will it work with an ALK Co-Pilot BlueTooth GPS unit? I have used TT, Mapopolis, and Routis w/ my iPaq, and TT was the best, so I want to get TT for my SMT 5600 if it is available. Any info and links would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find anything myself.

yes its on tomtoms site now

Guest Confucious

I got CoPilot (someone was selling it cheap :lol:) and am very happy with it. Not sure it's worth £50 more than TomTom :-k but as I paid £60 less than the cheapest I've seen TomTom I'm very pleased with it. 8)

correct me if i'm wrong...

since tomtom offers compatability with the SPV E200, it is clear that the software works on MS smartphone. is the non-compatability issue with the c500 simply to to the fact that the software comes on the wrong type of memory card and connot be tranferred to any other format?

if this is the case, is it not relatively easy (for someone who knows their stuff) to hack the software security and make it copyable to a miniSD?

is this the "c500 fix" fozza refers to? - if so, where is it available?

just thinking aloud!

n

No the fix involved solving a problem with the C500 connecting to the satalites.

This has now been fixed in an downloadable patch.

You still need to transfer the maps and files from the packaged card to a miniSD card.

Although TT are meant to be bringing out the package on MiniSD with this feature built in.

Search on the forum for Tom Tom and the is a long thread on it