LIVEstrong Wrist Bands...

Guest spacecowboy6982

Guest philgriffiths

FrankyG, you raise an interesting point. I suppose the meaning of wearing the band would vary depending on the person. I would suggest the intended meaning of wearing it would be a visibile symbol of your support for a cause, such as the wear yellow campaign shows your support for cancer research.

Personally i give to some charities, and do so without making a song and dance about it and I totally agree with what your saying that the fact you are getting a fashionable wristband for your money shouldn't be your reason for donating. But if this generates more money for the charity whats so wrong in that? The reason I haven't bought a wristband from Ebay is because i know that not one penny of my money is going to the cause it is intended which i think i wholly wrong and i personally think that ebay shouldn't be allowing people to profit out of this in such a way as some sellers clearley are.

I suppose an advantage of the wristband, over just simply donating money is that it could help spread the message of the charity. I guess this would not really be a factor with the LIVEStrong wristband since its campign is fairly high profile anyway. But if the charity is small, as i suggested previously then i think there is a great benefit for the charity involved if people say to me "How come your wearing a red/blue/orange wristbands and not one of those yellow ones" because it provides the oppourtunity to spread the message of said charity to more people, which might create more and more help for the charity.

Guest nickcornaglia

I agree, the visibility raises more awareness to the cause, and in turn generates more funds for the cause.

There are some bands out there that do not raise money for anyone other than those selling them. For example, I have a military green one that says USO - Support our Troops. Not necessarily saying that I support the war 100%, but I like it as a reminder to think about everyone over there, US, Allies, and Iraqis alike.

Guest Damian_demon

Do the MoDaCO band ppl will love it!, and when u get yellow ons in again let us all know, I was looking at buying them but the shipping costs put me off!

Guest philgriffiths

On a side note i heard on the Chris Moyles show this morning that they have now given out 1 million blue wrist bands in the fight against bullying. Thats pretty cool its so widley supported don't you guys think?

If we all act on this support whenever we see bullying anywhere then i think the world will be a nicer place.

Guest TigerNet
On a side note i heard on the Chris Moyles show this morning that they have now given out 1 million blue wrist bands in the fight against bullying. Thats pretty cool its so widley supported don't you guys think?

If we all act on this support whenever we see bullying anywhere then i think the world will be a nicer place.

I agree...I have one of the blue bans that I wear when coaching rugby in schools...I feel it sets an example...only downside is that they sent me a youth one!!! A bit tight for everyday wear... :lol:

Cheers

Nick

Guest element

Yeah I think the anti-bullying ones are a great idea. Would like one but can only find them for silly amounts of money on eBay. Got a yellow one though.

Guest philgriffiths
Yeah I think the anti-bullying ones are a great idea. Would like one but can only find them for silly amounts of money on eBay. Got a yellow one though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still haven't got mine yet. Just been looking over the Radio One Website and since i ordered it before the 31st December i should still be getting mine. :lol:

Guest TigerNet

...if anyone wants to swap me an adult bully band for my youth one I would be eternally grateful...I am also not going to pay silly amounts on eBay, but would like one that fits!!!

Cheers

Nick

Guest philgriffiths
I got one a couple months ago.....I wore it for a few weeks and then took it off.  I think the fad is all but dead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you might have a point. Those who wear these bands for fashion will eventually get tired of it when the next fashion craze comes along. But for those to whom the band actually means something, like their support for the fight against cancer (or in the case of Lance Armstrong himself, his personal victory over cancer) they will wear there bands for much longer since, to them the band holds a higher meaning than just looking good.

Guest Imacellphone

well dont get me wrong, I'm all for fighting cancer, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Armstrong is one of the greatest success stories ever! i just felt bad....as a smoker....that I wear it....even if I do support the cause. i don't know.

Guest Imacellphone

Yeah...I mean, a really want to show my support for the whole thing, but I really don't want to seem like a hypocrit either. Its a bit of a quandry. So I stick with not wearing it.

Guest philgriffiths

On a slightly different isue got my white and black bands for the stand up, speak up campaign against racism. think they look really cool and its for something i believe in. Brilliant! :lol:

...if anyone wants to swap me an adult bully band for my youth one I would be eternally grateful...I am also not going to pay silly amounts on eBay, but would like one that fits!!!

Cheers

Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've got some youth ones, do you still want one? always feeling generous so might just send it for free

Guest TigerNet
QUOTE(TigerNet @ Feb 9 2005, 16:39)

Cheers

Nick

I've got some youth ones, do you still want one? always feeling generous so might just send it for free

Thanks for the offer, but it is an adult bully band I'm after... :?: ...the youth one I got sent is way too tight!!!

@Paul...thanks for the quick turnaround!!!

Cheers

Nick

This might be dumb question but is it illegal to markup the price of writstbands for charity and make a profit for yourself? If it isnt I think that it should be

Guest philgriffiths

I dont think its illegal because the original buyer will have donated the money to charity, so they arent really losing out. If you were selling it at the inflated price and claiming it was going to charity when it was really going into pocket that would probably be a different matter. I guess after you have bought it its your property so i guess your free to do what you want with it, which would include selling it.

I would say however that i think its morally wrong to sell these things on for your own gain (which i should point out, Paul isnt doing. He's making nothing, except maybe some brownie points for sharing with us all)

After I posted I thought of this exact reasoning. I definitely agree that is it morally wrong and I wasn't implying that Paul was doing this . . . I was really replying to what was said on the first page of discussion.

Thanks for the clarification! :lol:

Guest TigerNet
No problem. On a different note i recieved my Blue 'anti-bullying' wristband through the post today, but they have sent me a damn youth one! Grrr

They did the same to me as well!!! Finally got my adult one yesterday though...

:lol: