8390 clarification required!!!!!!!

Guest buffalox

Guest buffalox

Hi there,

I'm living in England at the moment and have tentatively decided to get the mio 8390 (the long story made short).

There are two versions available in England

1. Asian import - is this the one you all have in the US?

2. "Official import" via their "official" distributor (AGB Global)

The difference in price is huge, the asian import being the cheaper by a significant margin.

So, my questions (having spoken to poeple at both companies and read extensively on here).

1. Is the T9 dictionary on the asian import one ONLY in Chinese (i.e. useless). I can't believe it but that's what company #1 says. I can get over no mms/difficult-to-use mms, but sms is a MUST! If the T9 dictionary isn't changeable to english then it's a non-starter for me.

2. Company #2 says that their version of th mio 8390 from mitac is ENTIRELY in English. I've read about some of your problems (mostly mms-related). Should I believe them?

3. Company #2 also offers an extra battery. Can I pick one of thse up from anywhere anyway?

I want to use the phone as a voice-calling, sms-texting phone and would like to make use of the pda features and games. I'd also like it to be reliable (in contrast to my "3" Motorola A835) and, well.... perfect.

Am I looking at the wrong phone here?

Guest citrus3000psi

I physically bought my phone in Hong Kong and I live in the United States. The phone had 2 language settings, English and Chinese. The english works fine and the T9 dictionary is in English as well. The only thing was that the MMS was not in English. But about 2 weeks ago there was an install that change the MMS to english. So my phone is entirely in english except for a program called "Band Selector" which changes what Frequency you run on. You obviously only run this program once or never.

-Dan

Guest nefas44

Hi all,

I bought the mio8390 on ebay from Taiwan.

I think the phone has only T9 in chineese.

In fact, by holding the "*" key the writing mode passes from "abc" to "123" and "手機手" (or something similar). Do you have any suggestion?

Keep it real!!