Dust - update from HTC

Guest nigels

Guys

Apologies for a new thread on this one, but you may be interested in what HTC had to say about the dust problem.

I bought my phone about 6 weeks ago from the MoDaCo shop (great service and advice by the way). I soon noticed that I was one of the unlucky ones with the dust problem. There is so much dust now that the screen looks a bit distorted.

Anyway - Orange dont want to know, and although they have allocated a fault code, they say that HTC deal with all warranty queries (must be as i am out of the 28 days sale of goods act window).

I spoke to HTC, and they were very helpful. The facts are... :

* This is a KNOW problem, and all new stock has been fixed - you are unlikely to see this happening with new stock phones.

* There is a simple fix that involves sending the phone to them, and getting a new part to seal the lcd from the outside elements (ie dust!).

Now although this is a pain to send it off to HTC (expect a 3-5 day turnaround) - they will fix it - permanently. May be a better idea than getting orange to replace it with possibly dodgy stock where the problem still exists.

I would advise anyone with this dust problem to call HTC, and get the phones fixed !

Yay! Thank you! I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if I can arrange this.

Great - let me know how you get on. I will post mine on Monday (seems a waste to send it today and be without it for the weekend !)

Seems you dont hear much about the dust problem on here any more - must be true that it is only the early batches of phones that have the problem.

I've only just got my C500 from Orange Direct, and there does appear to be a foamy type seal between the LCD panel and the casing (visible in bright sunlight). No dust yet.......

Do they return the phone for free or is there a carrage charge?

as far as I know it is all free (apart from outward postage of course - which I will do insured)

i have got a silver spv c500

had it for over a month and a half

no dust whatsoever

if your lucky you wont get any

if your not then......

thank god HTC finally are doing something about it

Guest TheMadScot

Calling the number in this thread prompts you to go to http://www.htceurope.com where you can book your repair online.

There's also an option to replace (for a fee) either the screen, keypad, back cover or front cover if they have been cosmetically damaged. A full replacement of everything costs £15 ex VAT.

HTC cite that your phone will normally be turned around inside 5 working days. The address for shipping is given as:

Mail-in Repair Service

HTC Europe Co. Ltd.

Capella House,

Snowdon Drive,

Winterhill,

Milton Keynes

MK6 1AJ,

United Kingdom.

I'm guessing that this service also applies to out-of-warranty handsets as made by HTC: I'm going to dig out my old SPV and see it quotes for re-furbing it.

Guest Pondrew

Cheers for the info TheMadScot ( :lol: ). Just booked my handset (E200) for a joystick repair and full cosmetic while they're at it.

Problem is the warranty expires in a few days so expect I might miss out on joystick repair under warranty.

We'll see...

Guest beersoft

ok, it looks like im going for a drive around cold and wet milton keynes to find out which company are doing this

but the warranty stuff looks fun

Warranty invalidation

The warranty is invalidated if the defect is caused (howsoever) by misuse, neglect, and tampering or incorrect adjustment. It is invalidated if unauthorised persons carry out any alterations or repairs. Repair of such a unit will be classified as a Non Warranty chargeable repair.  

Examples of Non Warranty chargeable repair due to Misuse and / or accident includes:

1. Dropping the unit on the ground.

2. Dropping the unit in water.

3. Damage because of dog bites.

4. Damage to the charger connector socket pins through use of undue force.

5. Failure of the customer to follow the instructions properly as per the manual.  

6. Failure to upgrade the software as per procedures outlined in network operator’s web site.

7. Downloading ilegal or incompatible software to the handset.

Later

Owen

I tried submitting an online ticket for the dust problem + my screen having 3 dead pixels (in warranty, it should be covered right?).

They didn't send me a confirmation email.

So now i have some login details for a page i don't know where is located,

no reference number to send my phone in and no address

(i know it's supplied in this thread but..).

Suggestions?

PS: Do you think they will mind that i've scratched the orange logo off the phone?

[edit]I forgot to mention, now that i've submitted the ticket, it also doesnt like submitting a ticket again, says "Invalid Serial Number". :? [/edit]

Guest boysweek
ok, it looks like im going for a drive around cold and wet milton keynes to find out which company are doing this

If you are refering to HTC in Winterhill you might be wasting your time. Their building does not have a visitor entrance/customer reception and the front door has a security code for staff access only. That is why the address to send to is "MAIL-IN REPAIR SERVICE, HTC Europe". I know because I work in MK and had to send my phone there for under-warranty work and thought it would be easier to drop it in rather than post it. Actually I was lucky because there was a member of staff coming back from their lunch break who took the package off me. Afterwards I was worried that I wouldn't ever see it again because I didn't get a receipt or anything and there was no way I could prove I had left it. As it happens I needn't have worried as it turned up a few days later duly repaired.

You will be better posting the phone in to them.

Steve

Guest Chaser81

I forgot to write down the address to send the phone to when I was booking mine in (stupid, I know), could someone re-post it here? I know its Winterhill in Milton Keynes.

Guest boysweek
I forgot to write down the address to send the phone to when I was booking mine in (stupid, I know), could someone re-post it here?

It's on page 1 of this topic !!!!!

OK - packaged mine up and posted it today.  Will let you know how long it takes to get fixed, and what it is like when it returns.

PHONE ARRIVED BACK TODAY

Just to let you all know that my C500 arrived back today.

Totally dust free - It also looks like a new front cover perhaps.

I can highly recommend going back to HTC on this one - all the people thinking about opening up the phone themselves are mad - just send it back and get it fixed properly for you (and maintain the warranty !)

Guest TheMadScot

Good to hear that your phone arrived back safe and well; I'll send mine off at the end of the month - the dust problem isn't chronic at the mo but I'd rather deal with it whilst it's merely a niggle and not a major issue.

For those of you who tried to book your handsets online and have lost the address, here it is:

Mail-in Repair Service

HTC Europe Co. Ltd.

Capella House,

Snowdon Drive,

Winterhill,

Milton Keynes

MK6 1AJ,

United Kingdom.

If you didn't note down your case number, I'm afraid I can't help with that :lol: