Setup SSL for Email

Guest blogbuster

Guest scwaudby

Ok, have just got my C500 to send/receive my GMail:

Name and email address are straightforward as is password.

Server Type POP3

Incoming server - pop.gmail.com:995

Require SSL connection - checked (this is the option under the Incoming server box on mine?)

Outgoing server - smtp.gmail.com:587

Outgoing server requires authentication- checked

and everything seems to work :lol:

Guest Confucious

I was getting the same errorso decided it was easier to try setting up in Outlook firs. that is when I had to RTFM myself.

POP3 Email needs to be enabled first - Go to your gmail account -> Settings ->Forwarding & POP3 and enable it.

The only other thing is the Port for outgoing mail is 465 not 587 as above (Dunno if 587 works as well) but mine now works fine on my C500 and on my PC.***

Thanks scwaudby - I mihght actually start using my gmail account now I can get it in Outlook, especially as Micro$oft are going to start charging for the "privalage" of being able to use Hotmail in outlook.

t

***Edit I hadn't actually tried sending one from my Smartphone (D'Oh) when I did try, it didn't work. I changed the port to 587 and it did work! Strange but true....

Guest scwaudby

The Gmail help says that both 465 and 587 will work, I only tried 587. Hadn't thought to check that you'd enabled POP access in the GMail options first (d'oh!)

Im still having problems. It seems to work, but I don't recieve the messages that are in my inbox..

Any advice?

TKJ

Edit: Sorry.. for some reason the old mails aren't delivered to my phone, new ones are, so NP, everythig works :lol:

Guest gadget007
TKJ dit: Sorry.. for some reason the old mails aren't delivered to my phone, new ones are,

If you go into your gmail pop settings, there's an option to either d/l only new messages, or d/l all messages, even your old ones.

i seem to be able to send, but not receive using the settings above, have tried both just username, and [email protected] with no joy.

Guest Confucious

I use [email protected] and it works for me but I do have some problems using Outlook - it repeatedly asks for my password then eventually accepts it (sometimes 1st time others 3rd or 4th time) even though the password is saved and does not change. I have contacted gmail support about this and am waiting to hear.

I too was getting pi$$ed off until I tried changing my password to one without numbers... it work straight away after that....

So, for those that it has worked, do you have numbers in your password?

Just tried changing it back to one with numbers and it stopped working....

Very strange

If you go into your gmail pop settings, there's an option to either d/l only new messages, or d/la all messages, even your old ones.

i seem to be able to send, but not receive using the settings above, have tried both just username, and [email protected] with no joy.

This is starting annoy me.. I have changed the settings in gmail to dl ALL my messages.. and as that didn't work on the phone (I still don't receive any) I changed it to dl only new messages. I still don't receive any messages on my phone! I have I don't know how many copies of the same messages in my outlook because all the messages are delivered over and over again :shock: :roll:

Does this work for anyone??

Hmmm, just tried setting this up and it will logon and then says "sending and receiving" and then disconnects me and says verify that I have network coverage and that my settings are correct. Is the smtp server meant to have a "," at the end of the address as shown by scwaudby? I have tried both to no avail to be honest. I have got a number in my password though......

Guest scwaudby
Hmmm, just tried setting this up and it will logon and then says "sending and receiving" and then disconnects me and says verify that I have network coverage and that my settings are correct. Is the smtp server meant to have a "," at the end of the address as shown by scwaudby? I have tried both to no avail to be honest. I have got a number in my password though......

No, it shouldn't bit of a formatting error from when I first typed it, I've corrected the otiginal post now.

Have you gone back into GMail's setting and made sure that the setting to enable POP access has actually saved?

This is starting to annoy me.. I have changed the settings in gmail to dl ALL my messages.. and as that didn't work on the phone (I still don't receive any) I changed it to dl only new messages. I still don't receive any messages on my phone! I have I don't know how many copies of the same messages in my outlook because all the messages are delivered over and over again  :shock:  :roll: 

Does this work for anyone??

Just tried it again and it actually does work.. more or less. The "problem" is, that if the mail is picked up by Outlook BEFORE I try to recieve them on the phone, it doesn't work..

TKJ

POP is enabled, all settings are correct but I can't seem to select read all messages or messages from now on. Or rather I can select it but after saving none of the radio buttons is marked. Is this normal? Seems strange. I am getting on to the server but it is then throwing me off. Bit annoying this.

Just set up another account on my other C500 and realised both time I tried to get onto the gmail server I got a message saying, "Server certificate is invalid - continue anyway" or something like this. On first phone I clicked yes and haven't been able to connect without getting thrown off, on second phone I first clicked no and got the same message as the first phone. When I retried and clicked yes it seems to do the business but I get no messages, no matter which option I choose for messages to download (todays, last 3 days, etc).

And why doesn't it work on phone 1? Maybe you need to check it via Outlook to activate the pop????

Guest Jerome!

Yes finally I got Gmail working:

Outlook 2003 worked fine, but said downloading message 288 of 288 8 out of 9 megs. Suddenly I made the link with Gmail FS en deleted all the files,

Now it works like a charme!

Good luck

Guest Confucious

And why doesn't it work on phone 1? Maybe you need to check it via Outlook to activate the pop????

With POP3 you can leave the message on the server which appears to be the default settinhg on the phone (and I can find no way of changing this) it is not the default setting in outlook so when you get your email from outlook it deletes it from the server so can't then be got from the phone.

Outlook -> Tools -> E-mail accounts ->View or change existing account-> change -> More Settings -> Advanced -> Checknbox - tick or not as required.

HTh

With POP3 you can leave the message on the server which appears to be the default settinhg on the phone (and I can find no way of changing this) it is not the default setting in outlook so when you get your email from outlook it deletes it from the server so can't then be got from the phone.

Outlook -> Tools -> E-mail accounts ->View or change existing account-> change -> More Settings -> Advanced -> Checknbox  - tick or not as required.

HTh

The problem is, that even if Outlook is set to leave a copy (And the same in Gmails pop settings) and a copy is left on the server, the message still isn't delivered to the phone if Outlook is open on the computer, and therefore "picks up" the message.

TKJ