Signal headache!!!

Guest lexster

Guest lexster

I am finding with my C500 that when I come out of a 'no service' area (like the tube), my phone doesn't pick up a signal but just sits there with the dumb transmitter symbol. I have to re-boot the phone to get it to register a signal. Driving me bloody mad as there's no Orange signal at my work. Is anyone else having this problem with the C500?

TIA

Guest badmonkey

Having the same problem in the US on AT&T (Cingular). Toggling flight mode fixes the problem.

Not sure why the phone does not automatically reregister with the network.

YES YES YES

I have this major and very annoying problem too! i am in california usa on tmobile and it is PURE MISERY...why the hell does this happen?

i have sent my sp3 back in exchange for an SP3i that is US version. can anyone with any technical expertise explain why this happens?

it seems to be that when the signal is temp. lost the phone will again recognise the signal when back but the phone cannot make or receive calles until you force a network connection like power toggle or flight mode toggle etc.

THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM IF YOU EXPECT TO GET CALLS and all someone gets is your voicemail.

Guest Saracen

Yes, this does happen, but if you wait for long enough it does pick up the signal again. When I get out of the tube, it takes a full 6-8 minutes to get back on the network, which is pathetic really.

It seems that the phones "refresh" time is too long. ANy way round this?

Guest lexster

Yes, I find the same thing, it'll pick up the network signal after a while (when it feels like it), but if I go outside my office for a cigarette, that's the perfect time to intercept texts and voicemail. Toggling flightmode or power cycling the handset is crap as I have to re-enter my pin no (yawn). Never had this problem with any other phone - I see it as a MAJOR flaw :)

BTW, sometimes my phone gets a signal right away, sometimes it doesn't - seems to be completely random... :roll:

Try using Settings -Phone-Networks, Menu-Select a Network.

It should do a full search.

Posted from my SmartPhone!Try using Settings -Phone-Networks, Menu-Select a Network.

It should do a full search.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest lexster

Thanks Martin (twice :wink: ), but my point is I shouldn't have to take the handset out of my pocket, unlock the keylock and press a series of buttons and then wait for it to find my home network - that's just pants. This is still a serious flaw... or maybe my handset (and the other posters') is faulty. Gonna speak to the tubbies at Orange customer service - dreading it, so I've put it off so far :) :( :(

Guest lighthouse82

lexster, please let the forum know what orange cs tells you, as i'm just about to upgrade to a c500.

others, is this a common problem or is lexster just one of an unlucky few with dodgy handsets?

Just want to re-assure you guys that this is not a generic problem with the c500. I live on my c500 and don’t have any of these issues. The best example being on a train on a conversation going through a tunnel, call drops, then signal immediately returns when the train gets out of the tunnel. Sometimes the signal bar doesn’t immediately appear, but if I try calling the call goes through.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem. Perhaps it’s worth taking your phone back and swapping for a new one?

Guest lexster
Just want to re-assure you guys that this is not a generic problem with the c500. I live on my c500 and don’t have any of these issues. The best example being on a train on a conversation going through a tunnel, call drops, then signal immediately returns when the train gets out of the tunnel. Sometimes the signal bar doesn’t immediately appear, but if I try calling the call goes through.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this problem. Perhaps it’s worth taking your phone back and swapping for a new one?

Just to make myself clear, it's not a case of temporarily losing signal, as in your example, going through a train tunnel. The problem arises when I've been in the building I work in (a Faraday cage) for some hours, or for instance on a long tube journey. A momentary loss of reception does not produce the fault.

I will post my findings when I've spoken to the tubbies :) :( :(

Actually to add to what Lex is saying,

it is just such a MAJOR problem for a phone to not work as a phone when it loses a signal. and while lex s right about the way it loses the signal it also seems to be when it only temporarily losese the signal TOO! when i am in my apartment in san franicso US, i have pretty decent reception but when its not used for a bit then this ugly problem rears its head.

one note here: in los angeles i tested it for 4 days witout the problem and my house down there has dodgy reception at times, yet no trouble! i think its a network selection bug in the manufacturing. sigh

Guest justinp

I have this problem aswell.

OT, i also have a 2 other problems that annoy me

1) Sometime when I called I dont get a ring tone, just a distorted screech

2) Voice tags when played back are so quite I cant hear them

I too have this problem.

I come out of the tube station.. give my phone a minute or so thinking that it should have picked up some Orange signal- no signal at all and have "searching" displayed.

Either I wait 8 minutes or reboot the phone, both of which are a bloody pain.

Guest airborne

It's not just the C500 that does this. Most phones I've had struggle to pick up the signal when back in sight of a transmitter (from a basement from example). My T610 did this just this morning. I had to restart the bloody thing to get a signal.

Hmm, I'm in the process of watching the signal on my 5600, I just got it last night. I'm on AT&T with this phone and I have my Nokia 3650 on T-Mo (using the Cingular network in CA) and sitting here at work, I'm getting a much better signal on the 3650, which is disappointing. I noticed at one point that the 5600 had switched over to the Cingular network, though that didn't help the signal. I went into the network menu and manually switched it to cingular and then back to at&t to see if there was any difference, but there wasn't. *sigh*

Guest blink280

I lost my network for about 8HRS!!!. Only way I realised was because I was moving house and the area I stayed the night before I moved had no Orange signal at all, called my own phone to check my new landline number that had been connected and went straight to answerphone even to I had full signal at my new property. Re-Booted the phone and got 4 messages and half a dozen missed call alerts spannig 6 and half hours.....!!!!

yep i have that almost nightly on my sp3 in the us, san francisco. the problem got so bad i sent the phone back, i just got a new sp3i in hopes it may somehow be different but i think its unlikely. i think maybe we should be contacting imate to see what the hell is up and if there is any kind of fix in the works. it may be a software program. hope its not hardware related!!

Guest Digiboy

I'm in London. My old E200 and my new C500 both display exactly the same fault. It takes several minutes for either phone to find a signal when I emerge from the Underground in a very strong signal area.

As previously noted, re-boot picks up a signal instantly. I'll do the Flight Mode thing - but how rubbish!

Gaz :? :roll:

hope this helps..

as i read on another forum site,its not actually the phone that has the problem,for US people here if ur using cingular try getting the new 64k simcard,happened once to me,me and a friend went somewhere were he cant get no reception on his phone(cingular)he has the old sim(pacbell) i have the 32k sim,his phone kept on searching for a signal whlie mine was using the AT&T signal.