stereo headphones

Guest cat999

does anybody know if there's such a thing that i can fit in the headphone socket of my spv c500 to enable me to use my mp3 headphones (i.e an adaptor) the headphones supplied are crap and i can't keep them in.

thanxs

are there any good stereo headsets which allow us to invoke our voicedial feature? I find it strange the supplied headset isn't capable of this option. I've read about bluetooth headsets which can do this, but they're all one-ear pieces. And I don't want mono music... :|

And of course it would be totally cool if there was a way of controlling windows media player too, and maybe a radio and... oh well. Perhaps I want too much :?

Guest chewbacca

not too impressed with the quality of the supplied headphones either. have tried headphones from my sony p900 these have good quality sound and the answer button also works. not sure where you could get them though.

still pondering wether to keep the p900 or spv

Guest radiator

Well, if the C500 headphones are the same as the ones supplied with the SP3i, you could do what I did (providing you can use a soldering iron).

De-solder and remove the bud's, and swap them with a pair of Sony fontopia bud's - this'll give you excellent sound quality, and you'll still be able to use them for voice calls...

I'll upload a pic in a minute, show you what I mean.

Guest radiator

Right, here's a mini guide. Unfortunately, I'd already swapped the headphones over before I took the pictures, but it should still make sense;

The original SP3i phones:

phones1.jpg

I'll start by saying it's easier to do them one at a time...

First, remove the rubber covering from the bud:

phones2.jpg

Now, position your finger nail in between the metal 'speaker' and plastic casing, and carefully remove it:

phones3.jpg

(image doesn't show the connected wire)

If you flip the 'speaker' over, you'll see 2 wires, each connected to a soldered 'pad' (marked on picture with red X's):

phones4.jpg

De-solder each of these, undo the knot in the wire, and carefully pull it back through the plastics casing (not picture for this, but pretty self-explanatory).

You can now re-assemble the original bud, and put it in a safe place (or throw it away!).

Standard Sony Fontopia phones:

phones5.jpg

These come apart in the same way as the SP3i phones - remove the rubber cover first:

phones6.jpg

Then carefully remove the 'speaker':

phones7.jpg

(this image shows how the wire would look attached to the speaker)

Now, on the back of this speaker you'll have 2 wires again (the left speaker has a red wire, and a green wire. The right speaker has a red wire and gold wire) - grab a marker pen and put a mark next to the 'pad' of either the green or gold wire (depending on which speaker you're doing first). This'll help you to remember later on.

Now you can de-solder both wires in the same way as before, undo the knot, and pull the wire back through the plastic casing.

Now take the wire from the SP3i phones, and push it through the plastic casing of the Sony phones (this may be a little difficult - the wire will be a bit bent because of the knot that was tied in it, so straighten in out as much as possible).

When you're pushing the wire through, you should see it protrude from the hole inside the plastic casing - get a pair of tweezers, and carefully pull it through completely.

Now you'll need to tie a knot in the wire, quite close to where the 2 coloured wires are exposed (this prevents the wire being pulled back through the casing, and stops any strain on the soldered bits).

After tying the knot, you'll want to straighten out the coloured wires ready for soldering.

Now take the green or gold wire and solder it to the pad you made a black mark against, then solder the red wire to the opposite pad. It's probably a good idea to test the speaker before you put it back together again (just load up an MP3 or something to check that you're getting sound through this headphone).

Now pull on the opposite end of the wire (the end that comes through the bottom of the plastic casing) until it won't budge any more (because of the knot).

Re-assemble the phone (metal bit first, then rubber casing) - take a look at the other Sony phone for reference if you've forgotten how it goes together.

Well done - that's one bud out of the way. Now just repeat the steps for the other, and you'll end up with something like this:

phones8.jpg

I'm not the best at explaining stuff, but hopefully you'll be able to follow this ok.

If you need any help,or have questions, just reply, and I'll try and help you out.

just found these may give them a try after Christmas

SlicSound is a unique add-on device that dramatically improves the sound quality of in-ear headphones and ear pieces for personal audio products including music players, hands-free mobile phones or handheld computer games. SlicSound is anatomically shaped to fit the ear, making it far more comfortable to use than standard in-ear headphones and ear-pieces, especially over long periods.

Slicsound is finished in a pearl silver, and comes with six plugs. 3 pairs for left and right, in different sizes and shapes. It is made from US FDA approved food grade silicone, which is non-toxic, non- allergenic, safe and comfortable to wear.

'SlicSound' is designed by leading audiologists from the UK and US, renowned for customised ear monitors & protection solutions to the biggest names in the world of music, sport and professionals.

SlicSound add-ons transform the performance of your in-ear headphones or cellular headset. Now you can wear headphones in comfort, for longer, for better sound, for whatever you're doing, wherever you want to do it !

It's a universal add-on to standard in-ear phones, acoustically engineered to work like an 'equaliser', making your listening source clearer & fuller, with retained dynamic range, reducing background noise, and hence allowing the user to turn down their normal listening volume. The same sound, at lower volume !

That means your batteries last longer with your MP3 player and saving you money.

Lower volume also helps prevent hearing loss. Something musicians often learn too late.

Made from a silicon compound, they are designed to fit the contours of your ears, and so feel really comfortable; and doesn't fall out. 'At last' a solution to stop your old in-ear headphones from dropping out all the time.

e may give them a try after Christmas

slicsoundmainlarge.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi radiator

took your advice and made up my own head phones from my koss phone plugs. Great sound and hands free what more could you ask. Here's a pic

post-100170-1104450352_thumb.jpg

Edited by cat999

Well, if the C500 headphones are the same as the ones supplied with the SP3i, you could do what I did (providing you can use a soldering iron).

De-solder and remove the bud's, and swap them with a pair of Sony fontopia bud's - this'll give you excellent sound quality, and you'll still be able to use them for voice calls...

I'll upload a pic in a minute, show you what I mean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Radiator,

Thats a fantastic post !!

I'm going to give it a ago :) .

Guest Sharktooth
are there any good stereo headsets which allow us to invoke our voicedial feature? I find it strange the supplied headset isn't capable of this option. I've read about bluetooth headsets which can do this, but they're all one-ear pieces. And I don't want mono music... :|

And of course it would be totally cool if there was a way of controlling windows media player too, and maybe a radio and... oh well. Perhaps I want too much  :?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may want to look at the Sonorix OBH-0100.

They are stereo and totally wireless.

They can mate with any Bluetooth enabled device PC/PDA/Mobile/Games set etc.

You can stream stereo audio from your PC using the supplied USB dongle.

They are now available in the UK both on line and from selected stores.

post-104233-1104688748_thumb.jpg

You could try the Bluetake BT420 bluetooth stereo headphones.

Expansys has these for £106.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually tried these with a c500 or SP3i. According to some earlier posts they will stream MP3 with a bit of fiddling.

Guest Br1an_g
any more pics of modified headphones

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Still waiting on delivery of my KOSS plugs. :D

Hopefully today, so will have a go tonight, or over the weekend and post some pics :D

Guest Br1an_g
nice job Br1an_g what do you think of the sound

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sound off the KOSS plugs is great, virtually no background noise at all.

had to try all of the attachments to get the right one to fit nicely.

dont think they are very practcal for hands free though, take too long to get in and out. (maybe its just my ears)

ideal for the gym though, as once they are in, they aint bouncing out.

i think they could do with a better handsfree though. i liked my last nokia ones, which went over your head in a loop, and had the mic at the join.