stereo headphones

Guest cat999

Thanks for the excellent posts on modifying the original handsfree. I've decided to try this myself and I intend to buy a new set of headphones for this.

I have to decide between Koss - The Plug and Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia. Has anyone tried both, so they can advise me on the pros and cons of each?

Just from reading the reviews, I figured that Fontopia fit more securely, and this is my main problem: to have the earphones stay in my ears and not fall out while walking or jogging.

Thanks,

Tudor

Guest radiator

Hmm, for some reason I havn't been receiving reply notifications, and didn't realise this post had grown a bit more...

cat999 & Br1an_g - looks like you've done a great job on swapping the buds...nice one!

• 2 weeks later...
not too impressed with the quality of the supplied headphones either. have tried headphones from my sony p900 these have good quality sound and the answer button also works. not sure where you could get them though.

still pondering wether to keep the p900 or spv

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got a spare set of headphones for my P900 from Ebay, cost about a fiver including postage IIRC

Guest ahodgekins

Quick word of warning for anyone contemplating Sennheiser earbuds for this mod. They're not suitable. Got myself a pair of MX300's and was very impressed with the sound out of them on my MP3 player and laptop.

I then tried opening them up, but it's impossible to do so without destroying them. The plastic caps come off easily enough, but the speaker cone and coil are attached to the cap, whilst the circuit board and magnet aren't. So, when you break the seal open you run a very high chance of breaking the tiny (less than the width of a hair) connecting wires to the coil. This happened on both the left and right buds, so it wasn't just me being clumsy. :roll:

Considered opening up the mic and call button for the mod instead, but the Senn's use a standard 'Y' type cable, so the mic would end up in the wrong place.

I ended up doing the earphone replacement with my old Sony fontopia's which use self contained speaker units as shown in the photo's in this thread. The sound is much improved and it also fixed my major issue with the stock earbuds which kept falling out of my ears on the train!

Quick question for cat999/Br1an_g - how do you dismantle the Koss earphones? Mine seem to be pretty firmly attached and I don't want to try too hard in case I break them!

EDIT: never mind, I found a page with instructions and photos so I've now got a modified C500 headset :lol: Worked first time too..!

Edited by M@rtin

• 1 month later...
Guest jambaj0e

I have those SONY fontopia and I only have 2 words - BUMPING and AWESOME!

I highly, highly recommend them. Out of 5-6 headsets I've own in the past 2 years, those are the only ones I'd recommend

• 2 months later...
Guest sikhcentral

WA HAY lol take a look at these lol. Had some trouble coundn't open them UP!!! so i had 2 cut the wire from the outside made some cosmetic damages though :D but sound super duuper ;)

post-118340-1118673017_thumb.jpg

Guest ZeroK66
WA HAY lol take a look at these lol. Had some trouble coundn't open them UP!!! so i had 2 cut the wire from the outside made some cosmetic damages though  :D  but sound super duuper  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the exact headphones I have just bought. I have chosen to go down the adapter route though so I can use the headphones with other devices. Adapter I chose is this one:

38_1.JPG

Ebay Clicky...

• 2 months later...