• This topic is locked This topic is locked
183 replies to this topic

nick123

nick123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Thanks very much for the guide!
but I have a problem when I try to sync with 2 pc with bluetooth, is it possible? if yes, I will try again...
thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all I should thank Garth for such a thorough job in assuring that we can all connect to Activesync via bluetooth. It's certainly 'bullet-proof', but you have to jump through hoops to get there. I must have been lucky: I have an XP SP2 and a C500, and got connected in seconds by following the instruction on the phone, starting at Activesync/menu/Setup BT ActiveSync...and just following the prompts. There was (and still is) no need to activate the Configurations/BT serialPortSetup (inbound port com 6). However, the big difference may have been that I had already used the PC before to make a BT Activesync connection to my iPAQ. I can now connect by BT to either the C500 or the iPAQ, with Activesync listening on com 4. I do actually have com 6 inbound port active on the phone, but this is reserved for Pocket Slides so I can use the phone as a remote control for powerpoint presentations on the iPAQ.

Now to answer Zerod's question:
Two devices with one PC works fine, but 2 PC's with one device is tricky. Yes, it's possible, but you have to go through what I've explained above each time you switch from one PC to the other....it seems the phone can only handle one PC identity at a time. It isn't very practical, so I use BT at home and the cable for for the connection in the office.
I'm sure some clever spark could write a piece of software to do this for us......who is going to take up the challenge??

Nick

lee05

lee05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey
On the guide it had a bluetooth symbol in the corner which i carnt find or dont have it. could some one please help.

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
You mean the one in the task bar on the PC? Do you hace a BT dongle on the PC running WinXP SP2?

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

lee05

lee05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You mean the one in the task bar on the PC? Do you hace a BT dongle on the PC running WinXP SP2?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A dam i dont have windows xp sp2,is that the problem then?

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts

A dam i dont have windows xp sp2,is that the problem then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SP2 has built in BT drivers if youn don't have it you have to use the drivers that came with your dongle.

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

jimanny

jimanny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Audiovox SMT5600
I am new here but I had to reply cause gaplayer26's guide solved it for me after hours of beating my head against the wall...

I was going about it backwards. The guide has you build the handshake ("pairing", "bonding", etc.) from the phone. I was doing it from the PC which automatically created 3 COM ports one of which was a Bluetooth modem. Then I didn't know which port to use in Activesync under Connection Settings > "Allow serial cable or infrared connection to this COM port:". After 4 hours my head was spinning! I was totally confused!

Garth has you initiate the connection from the phone so that the only thing needed on the PC is a single incoming port. Nice! Once the port is there and set under Connection Settings > "Allow serial cable or infrared connection to this COM port:", you should be ready to start the connection from the phone.

Another key item was getting the option to set the connection type to "Bluetooth" on the phone under Activesync > Menu > Options > 2 PC Settings > Menu > Advanced. Again, this was possible because the handshake was started from the phone instead of the PC.

Nice work Garth, thanks much!

- jimanny

Edited by jimanny, 23 April 2005 - 07:41 PM.

lighthouse82

lighthouse82

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Devices:Black C500 :D
yeah, i too want to thank Garth very very much for solving the mystery for me. if only i had discovered your guide before i spent hours and hours tearing my hair out!!

ciudatelu

ciudatelu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i900
Great guide, i've also did it! :D

Posted Image

hicks

hicks

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for that - I've had my phone for a couple of weeks and I was wondering why the hell I couldn't get it working. Seeing MSN and IE working on the broadband connection was fun :D

kit2000

kit2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV C500

Edited by kit2000, 14 March 2005 - 11:36 PM.

stunno

stunno

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Devices:MDA Compact III
thanks guys! finally cracked it

posted from my c500

hicks

hicks

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I can only echo the grateful replies above - your guide is easy to follow and makes connecting much easier. I'm sure I'm not alone in wondering why MS made it such an ordeal doing this in the first place...

Having an MS OS on the computer and MS OS on your phone, you would hope there would be a nice big shiny button in ActiveSync to press to do this all for you. Oh well, maybe next time. I am enjoying my first MS phone very much though, they are certainly not without their issues but are so powerful and flexible it makes it all worthwhile. Kind of like their desktop OS'

:D

vulcun1

vulcun1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:I-Mate SP3
Hi,

Thanks for the manual! I thought my problem was finally solved but alas, I have to ask for more help!
My phone is an i-mate SP3 but the software (on the phone) is obviously different to what you describe in the manual. I can not set COM ports on the phone. (No option for that) The Active Sync software on the PC defaults to COM3. I made sure COM3 is available and also detected in the Blootooth Devices Setup under the "COM Ports" tab. When trying to find the PC from the phone, the phone detects the PC and requests a passkey. The PC requests the passkey as well. After a while the phone displays a message "ERROR: Your smartphone did not connect with COMPUTERNAME. The connection failed or the passkey is incorrect. (Same passkey entered on both devices - (grin...)) ;) The phone is loaded with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 Build 14132, Radio version 1337.29.01_0.03.17.The PC is loaded with Active Sync Version 3.8.0 Build 5004 and the standard Windows XP Bluetooth Devices.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. I am considering changing the name form I-Mate to I-Hate ! :evil:

Cheers,
Herman

yoda6

yoda6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for the excellent guide. I followed it with my E200 and had no problems getting it up and running.

However, one problem I do have is a can now no longer use my Tomtom GPS receiver in any application! CamerAware crashes, SmartHiker says it has connected then disconnects straight away (< 1sec) and Mapopolis reports that COM7 is in use. It does not seem to matter whether the phone is connected via bluetooth to the PC via activesync or not. Can anybody suggest what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.

yoda6

yoda6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Thanks for the excellent guide. I followed it with my E200 and had no problems getting it up and running.

However, one problem I do have is a can now no longer use my Tomtom GPS receiver in any application! CamerAware crashes, SmartHiker says it has connected then disconnects straight away (< 1sec) and Mapopolis reports that COM7 is in use. It does not seem to matter whether the phone is connected via bluetooth to the PC via activesync or not. Can anybody suggest what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, well thanks for all the help but I managed to get it working myself in the end. Activesync via Bluetooth and Tomtom Bluetooth GPS both working fine and at the same time no less! Get in!!

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts

Hi,

Thanks for the manual!  I thought my problem was finally solved but alas,  I have to ask for more help! 
My phone is an i-mate SP3 but the software (on the phone) is obviously different to what you describe in the manual. I can not set COM ports on the phone. (No option for that)  The Active Sync software on the PC defaults to COM3.  I made sure COM3 is available and also detected in the Blootooth Devices Setup under the "COM Ports" tab.  When trying to find the PC from the phone, the phone detects the PC and requests a passkey.  The PC requests the passkey as well.  After a while the phone displays a message "ERROR: Your smartphone did not connect with COMPUTERNAME. The connection failed or the passkey is incorrect. (Same passkey entered on both devices - (grin...)) ;)  The phone is loaded with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Version 4.21.1088 Build 14132, Radio version 1337.29.01_0.03.17.The PC is loaded with Active Sync Version 3.8.0 Build 5004 and the standard Windows XP Bluetooth Devices.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.  I am considering changing the name form I-Mate to I-Hate ! :evil:

Cheers,
Herman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What Com Port is the BT Modem showing as in the control panel? That is teh COM port youneed for ActivSync.

@yoda6 Glad to hear you got yours working OK.

bretto

bretto

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Interests:Just about everything except Rap music and Carnies....<br /><br />....small hands, smell like cabbage....
  • Devices:o2 xphone / imate 2
Hi All

I found this guide an excellent reference and it worked perfectly first time.

but...since I already had the widcomm software and drivers I decided to play about a bit.

One thing i noticed with using the microsoft xp sp2 bluetooth drivers is that the connection was only ever working correctly in one direction. From the e200 to the pc. That is to say I always had to connect and sync using the phone because it just wouldnt work from the pc.

After a clean installation of both my pc and e200 and following the updated information from dlink about installing the widcomm drivers on xp sp2 which effectively turns off the microsoft bluetooth devices, I find that I can sync in either direction perfectly and that I appear to have a greater connectable distance.

This is awesome for me because I use an evc++ development system and could never send files properly to my device unless I used the usb cable. Now I can ;)

Dont know if anyone else has experienced this also.

Cheers

Bretto

--------------------------------------------
"Lifes a garden...DIG it!"
--------------------------------------------
o2 xphone (e200) wm2003
Imate 2 (HTC Himalaya) wm2003se
O2 xda2 (HTC Himalaya) wm2005
O2 xda2 Mini (Magician) "Say hello to my little friend.."

Liz

Liz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Natural health care, Aromatherapy, computers, horses (2 old boy's) and windows mobiles
  • Devices:MPX220, qtec 8500, HTC Touch
I had so many problems getting ActiveSync to work using Bluetooth that when I eventually did get it working, I decided to write a guide or 'how-to'. This will hopefully be useful to you all, as it would appear that I'm not the only one who struggled to get this working...

"The guide makes use of Windows XP SP2's native Bluetooth driver....."

Hi
I’ve read the guide (and many others!) but for the life of me I cannot find ANY Bluetooth drivers on my computer.
I have XP Professional with SP2 and have checked control panel (including under printers and every other option) but there is NO BT “consol”. I have followed many instructions – even deleted my phone (MPX220) via device manager – but when I reconnect the phone I just get “your device has been successfully installed” (tried with BT off/on and “detectable”) but NO BT consol appears. If I use “search/bthprops.cpl” I can find the files in SP2 – but cannot get them to run or install. Have also tried using “run” but that doesn’t work either. ;)
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Liz

Keep trying youll get there, one day honestly! :)

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,635 posts
If you have thprops.cpl then you should have a BT Devices icon in the Control panel.

Are you signed on as an Administrator?

Liz

Liz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Natural health care, Aromatherapy, computers, horses (2 old boy's) and windows mobiles
  • Devices:MPX220, qtec 8500, HTC Touch

If you have thprops.cpl then you should have a BT Devices icon in the Control panel.

Are you signed on as an Administrator?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi
Yes I'm signed as administrator. Still no BT devices in control panel......I have my computer quite locked down - no file/print share and guest account disabled, I'm wondering if this may be a problem?
Liz

Keep trying youll get there, one day honestly! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users