MP3 ringtones and mpx220

Guest boydp4

Ok guys, I spent some time on this so I figured I would share it with you. You can use MP3's as ringtones as most of you probably know. What I do is take my favorite mp3 ringtone-and edit out the part I want to play-I would edit out around 30 seconds so you don't use up too much space. There is a program called Audacity that you can edit your mp3s. Can find the program at download.com.

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?q...x=13&search.y=6

So you can attach the ringtone to a contact-store it in Storage/Application Data/Sounds.

One problem that I found that really bummed me out was that the mp3 ringtone was very quiet when it rang even though it played loud in windows media player. To fix this use the program Audacity to amplify the song and whammo you now have an edited loud mp3 ringtone...Hope that helps anyone that didn't already know...

Now if anyone can tell me how to access a website that tells me that I need IE 4.0 or above that would be great. Later

Guest benjytrainer

Hello

Thought I'd add a couple of comments here since I work in the area of mobile content :wink:

It would seem that if you are going to make ringtones there are a number of ways you can achieve it - I base my comments on the MPX200, since that has an absolutely whopping speaker in it - but the same should work for most Motorola's, since the speaker equipping is just getting better and better ( check out the stereo and bass on the A1000 if you don't believe me ) !

Anyhow, I'd actually be tempted to use WAV rather than MP3 for ringtones - sure it's bigger, but it's uncompressed, which can be both a blessing and a nightmare!

In selecting the ringtone, exactly as per the last post, choose the 30 second segment you want, and get that in to a wave editor. Now, recently I started using 192 kpbs MP3 as my source, and then expanding that out to a STEREO 44.1 Khz WAV for editing - the mp3 compression done originally to get the track seems to have some effect on improving the clarity !

Once the WAV is edited, I save to 44.1 Khz STEREO WAV - you might think you would want to edit further now, but stick with me.

Next step - open Microsoft Sound Recorder - no download needed as it's in Windows by default - this is able to re-volume and re-bitrate tracks very quickly indeed.

For any track you've got, usually the same rules apply :

1) Select the decrease volume option between 3-4 times ( i.e. 3-4 cycles' worth of selection - seems to drop by about 10% each time )

2) Save as 22.5 Khz Mono WAV

Now, the combination of using as MP3 source, expanding to WAV, editing, then into MS sound recorder, then volume drop, then save lower bitrate seems to preserve the quality - and will be loud !

There are of course some exceptions - Rock music does not work well, but simple tracks with say just percussion ( rap particularly ) works well. Any tracks that originally were not well-levelled don't translate well either.

benj

Guest benjytrainer

no probs :)

I do like to change ringtones quite often, hence the detail on what I do. Microsoft Sound Recorder is actually a pretty nifty tool, for something that's free :(

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing what the MPX220 can do with mp3 tones and how it plays them - the A1000 ( Motorola also ) is quite impressive in terms of speakers, I think Motorola have got the right idea when it comes to sound on handsets

cheers

benj

Guest Jovian Remix
no probs  :)

I do like to change ringtones quite often, hence the detail on what I do. Microsoft Sound Recorder is actually a pretty nifty tool, for something that's free  :(

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to seeing what the MPX220 can do with mp3 tones and how it plays them - the A1000 ( Motorola also ) is quite impressive in terms of speakers, I think Motorola have got the right idea when it comes to sound on handsets

cheers

benj

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another way you can try is to cut the bass and up the treble on the ringtone. Then save it as an mp3 which will be smaller than a wav of the same file. I use Adobe Audition to edit my files. You can find other free editors that do this. I believe Goldwave will work also.

Guest hifi-ringtones.co.uk

Goldwave is very good for ringtones. I use it coz its cheap and does pretty much everything that Sound Forge can do.

We produce ringtones for the MPX and SPV phones. We use WAVs but we use Goldwave to Maximise the Volume (normalise) we sav 20secs at 16Kh 8bit mono as our standard. This gives you a 300kb file and their is very little audible difference between 22Kh and 16kh.

There are some freebie ringtones on my site if you want to test one out.

Guest jules3

This is great...now I can change ringtones to whatever I want without paying for one I don't want - thanks. I can't seem to get them to show up when I try to assign them to a contact when saved on my card. Is there a way to do this, without having them in application data on the phone?

This is great...now I can change ringtones to whatever I want without paying for one I don't want - thanks.  I can't seem to get them to show up when I try to assign them to a contact when saved on my card.  Is there a way to do this, without having them in application data on the phone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there one way to do this in MPx200, may be work in 220, I don't know couse i havn't sabj :D

In MPx200 open RegEditor (like PHM RegEditor or smth else), go to

"HKEY_CURRENTUSER/ControlPanel/SoundCategories/"

there U can see 6 subkeys as

ALARM

INCALL

NOTIFICATION

REMINDER

RINGS

SYSTEM

and

Attenuation (we dont need this)

Go to every of sub and edit value of key "Directory" (default is "\Windows\")

to any folder as u wish, for example, "\Storage Card\rings\" (final slash is obligatory). u can copy all rings from windows-folder to new ringtone folder and oooaplaaa! now u can assign custom rins in contacts (there no ability in default windows without 3rd-party-extra-progran).

I hope this topic is useful. It works on MOTO MPX200 (WM2002&WM2003).